Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #561
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindog View Post
Has anyone installed a bedside recessed shelf, like the one in the photo, or other type of storage next to the bed on the wardrobe side? Looking for something small just to set reading glasses and small flashlight etc.
Along with my dinette table modification, Jackson Center just made this for me. The new cubby also includes two USB outlets (barely visible in the photo).

I wanted a rounded CNC cutout as in the 28FB but that wasn't possible.

The wall-side cushion from the dinette is obviously no longer required but is the perfect length for a headboard. That's what you are seeing to the bottom left of the picture.
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:52 AM   #562
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
Your mod looks awesome

The guys at the factory service center,sure do pretty work!

Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #563
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apalach53 View Post
My wife and I really like the twin units but are pressed for space to store our AS so we purchased a 23 FB last year. We continued to have twin envy until recently. We like the additional room to move around and storage under beds. Also, wonderful to have the roadside exterior storage as convenient for power cord.

We contacted Brad Herring at the AS service Dept and sure enough he could make our dreams come true and within a month of our first contact we were sleeping in our 2017 Serenety 23 FBT

Our technician Brent did an outstanding job on this conversion, he is very talented!! Not to mention just a super nice guy! He was very thorough in reviewing/explaining the plan and getting our input - from lights and electric plug relocation to storage design between beds. His attention to detail and craftsmanship is to be commended.

Of course none of this could have happened if Brad hadn’t researched the possibility of this conversion and responded to us so quickly! (Sorry Flying Cloud 25” [emoji854]).We appreciate the time Brad took to answer all our questions and providing suggestions/options for us to consider. His expertise, knowledge and patience is vast!

The total experience from start to finish was outstanding and we look forward to enjoying our new 23FBT for many years to come, and still park it in our carport!

What are the dimensions of the mattresses. What does a conversion like this run? How did you get hold of the right person did the dealer you bought it from talk to them

Nice job!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #564
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Please more info on the FB Queen to Twin conversion.
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #565
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
The pantry wire shelves come off their perches when we travel. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to stop this?
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #566
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Apalachicola , Florida
23 queen to twin

We had been told by several folks that twins would not work in the 23, even though we had measured and knew that it would. Eventually we simply sent a message through the AS website to the service dept and that is when we heard back from the service manager Brad Herring. Brad had a 23 in for service and took measurement and confirmed it would work.

We wanted an AS that even though converted would look like it just rolled off of the factory floor so many of the parts used were in fact the same that would go in any twin unit. The beds are the standard 78” x 34” that come on most (except classics) twin models. Of course our unit is roughly 5” narrower than other twin units in production so the beds are 5” closer together than standard twins. We still have plenty of room to move around and it feels much more roomy than the queen.

Because of our narrower 23 the bed stand had to be custom constructed in the service dept but they were able to use our old drawer and one of the pull downs (see photos).

Keep in mind what we said about wanted a factory option type of conversion so items like inside aluminum panels that had wire holes were replaced. Wires had to be rerouted to allow for plugs above the bed stand. The only surprise was some wires that came out behind the queen front bedside table. They were plugged professionaly and are not visible with the pillows on the bed. Even though the bed parts were factory made there had to be some customization near the foot of the curbside bed to fill the space above the water heater. The roadside bed was a perfect fit. We also wanted to keep the wider wardrobe from our unit instead of replacing it with the narrower one from a 25 etc so they cut our unit down and then reenforced it at the top.

This was a first for AS so they may have had to take more time than future conversions but it took about 40 hours to complete. At $125 per hour plus parts such as the bed frames, new mattresses, a light fixture, countertop for the bedside table, and new roadside hatch you can imagine it was not an inexpensive endeavor.
Apalach53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:02 AM   #567
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWhite View Post
The pantry wire shelves come off their perches when we travel. Does anyone else have this problem? What have you done to stop this?
We had that same problem from day one with our 23 FB. I resolved it using cable ties to hold the shelves in place. No problems since then
Fbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 AM   #568
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Apalach53, thanks for the details. Given the cost, could you please summarize why you did these 23FB mods, rather than get a 25' with twin beds. Was your tow vehicle one of the factors?

We had a 25' rear corner bed back in the 90's and miss her vs. our FC20. Our galley is what drew us to the smaller model, and if we wanted to up-size we would probably skip the 23' because of the lousy [IMO] galleys in both models, and go back up to a 25'.

Ah, compromises . . .

Thanks for your thoughts,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #569
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbastian View Post
We had that same problem from day one with our 23 FB. I resolved it using cable ties to hold the shelves in place. No problems since then
We used the twist ties that come with small garbage bags, they also work fine. Twist it around the hook, and then twist it around the shelf. If you need more shelves, you can find them here: http://www.organizeit.com/pantry-rol...age-basket.asp
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #570
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Apalach53, thanks for the details. Given the cost, could you please summarize why you did these 23FB mods, rather than get a 25' with twin beds. Was your tow vehicle one of the factors?

We had a 25' rear corner bed back in the 90's and miss her vs. our FC20. Our galley is what drew us to the smaller model, and if we wanted to up-size we would probably skip the 23' because of the lousy [IMO] galleys in both models, and go back up to a 25'.

Ah, compromises . . .

Thanks for your thoughts,

Peter
The 23 is a smaller and lighter trailer. We haven't found our galley to be that lousy. We like the dual sinks, and have found plenty of storage, and counter top.
The biggest complaint I hear about the 23 FB is the lack of lounge space. And some obviously don't like the E/W layout of the bed. We haven't found that to be too big of an issue. However the LW just had a hip replaced, in the future, I may need to be the one furthest from the bath.
I see lots of folks pulling 25s with 3/4 ton diesels. I don't think you need to go that large with the 23.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #571
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Apalachicola , Florida
We would have loved to have the 25 and were very close to purchasing one twice. Once before we purchased our 23 and once just before we did the mods. The increase in the cost of the 25 was higher than the mods and the 25 caused more issues for us. We store our unit in our carport behind the garage and it is a very tight space to back off an alley. We considered tools to assist with storing but then we were inching up to our mod cost.

Combine those issues with the many things we love about the 23 this made sense for us.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #572
1 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Apalachicola , Florida
Small zip ties worked for us.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #573
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tow our 2015 23D International Serenity with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI turbo diesel. A 23FB has the same GVW, so that size vehicle could also tow that model if desired. No need to crank up my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins that tows our 2014 31' Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #574
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks guys for the 25' feedback.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #575
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Deerfield Beach , Florida
Lift Kit

Does anyone know which lift kit is correct for the 23FB? I have the Airstream part number for the axle, 410980-09, but so far that hasn't been much help. I've read that Airstream will buy a #11 axle and derate it and use it for the 23D. I've not been able to find any specific information about if the 23FB has a #10 or #11 axle. I need that extra lift in a few areas.

Thanks
George
svjohngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 AM   #576
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
I'd like to know as well, I have a 2010 23'FB and I want that lift. And where can you buy them? I looked at the Dexter website, but couldn't seem to identify a lift kit. And does anyone know whether the 23FBs will accommodate 16" wheels? I'm looking for some serious clearance. Hoping to head for a rough drive.
eastendmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:53 AM   #577
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
Our 23FB (2013) has #10 axles; the Dexter kit for #10 axles is K71-707-02. But I'd double check with them before you order...

Dan
This is very helpful information, appreciate it! Is there any concern about these lifts being unstable if doing a lot of driving, or driving on rough roads? I plan to be out about a year with a lot of boondocking and some rough roads in my future. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Mary
Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #578
OldGreyMare

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1962 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Honolulu , Hawaii
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Thanks for the input, and yes very appropriate since I was questioning the 23FB layout compared to the 23D. Honestly I bought the 23FB because the deal was just too good to pass up. But after using it, the 23D would make more sense for me. I'm solo, and on the occassions I (hopefully) won't be, the corner bed would be just fine, and as you point out, pulling out the sofa if needed is an easy process. Same with the bath. I actually like the two storage cabinets in the 23D above the bath sink, miss that a LOT. I also like the dinette being up against the window on the 23D, allowing items to be placed there while in camp and be out of the way. Hard to have condiments, wine bottles, fruit bowl, etc, on the u-dinette table on the 2014+ FB. Gets in the way.

I'm getting tempted to put mine for sale and begin the wait for a good deal on a 23D so I can join your thread
I have a 2010 23FB I guess it's the old dinette, it's up against the wall, person sitting against the window has to deal with the wheel well, but that hasn't been a problem. I regularly sit three at the dinette with no issues. I love the queen bed, have a 3' topper on it and it is my favorite bed of all, including the new one at my house. And being able to get out of the shower, towel off and dress in the bathroom, that was and still is important to me. I figure I will lounge outside, and if the weather is bad...well, that's why I have wheels :-)

Mary
Old 03-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #579
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendmary View Post
This is very helpful information, appreciate it! Is there any concern about these lifts being unstable if doing a lot of driving, or driving on rough roads? I plan to be out about a year with a lot of boondocking and some rough roads in my future. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Mary
I've been researching it for a while as we definitely need more clearance for boondocking, and haven't heard of any issues with stability. Colin Hyde is going to be putting the #10 lift kit on our 23FB, and he just got back from a three week trip where he tested it out on his trailer. I'm assuming he didn't have any problems, but will check with him and post if he noticed anything.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #580
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
If you search this thread you will find that I had a lift kit installed about 2 years ago by an authorized Dexter Axle dealer. The price was right and it works great.. I also put 15 in wheels and new tires. The kit that I used was #10 2 63T my total cost including installation was $378.83.

Works well as I needed additional clearance for a dip in driveway. Hope this info helps. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote