Old 11-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #393
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We're thinking hard about changing over from a 27FB to a 23FB at some point, so we'll be reading your updates with great interest. We'd like to downsize for better access to smaller campsites, though at this point it's still just an idea.
We are thinking about doing the exact same thing. Our thought process is, besides accessing the smaller campsites, I want to go to a 1/2 ton tow vehicle (from our current 3/4 ton) and a simpler, easier to hook up hitch than our Hensley.

Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #394
Rivet Master

Macon , Georgia
We are interested in downsizing from a 27FB to a 23FB. I have not been in a 23FB yet, and I have a couple of questions:
1. Can you get a 15,000 BTU AC in place of the 13,500?
2. Does the bedroom television swing around so it can be seen from the dinette?
3. How does the shower size compare to the shower in the 27FB?

Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #395
Rivet Slave

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
We are interested in downsizing from a 27FB to a 23FB. I have not been in a 23FB yet, and I have a couple of questions:
Regarding question 1: With enough money, you and your dealer can do whatever you like. Fairly sure Airstream factory won't, as they seem to have become averse to most custom orders, probably in the interest of keeping the factory moving.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #396
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I can only answer #2. Yes, the TV swings around to point at the table.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:51 AM   #397
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have a 2015 23D that came with 14" wheels and ST tires. When we retrofitted 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels with Centramatic wheel balancers (part #200-221), Dill 1506-453 TPMS and Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires the trailer height was raised about 1.1" to the same elevation our 2013 25FB was after conversion to the same model 15" Michelin tires. All the Hensley Arrow settings were the same for both the 23D and 25FB towing with the same 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI diesel.

I believe that the 2017 model year 23 foot models came with 15" GoodYear ST tires and wheels since 14" tires are going the way of the Dodo bird.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #398
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
The air conditioner seems to adequate for the space because the 2017 is ducted. The tv swings around to the kitchenette. The shower is contained in the bathroom, while the 27 opens to the hall. The 27 has a fan in the shower, while the 23FB the door to the bathroom is opened at the top for the fantastic fan.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #399
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
And yes we have 15 Goodyear ST tires
old 10s bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #400
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Shower - can't compare to the 27. The 23FB shower is big enough for me at 300#s and 6'4". Being able to step out into an enclosed space is priceless. Ventilation has not been a problem for us. However, we do use portable fans for dedicated air flow when required. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:53 PM   #401
Rivet Slave

Green Cove Springs , Florida
Nicely done walk-through on a 2017 23FB unit at Lazy Days of Tucson. We really need to see one of these units in person.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #402
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Suggest having the cook compare the two galleys. Our FC20 won out over larger trailers, for its dual sink galley with tons of counter space. Yes, the sleeping arrangements are a compromise, but that is the nature of smaller units.

"Less is More . . . "

Have fun with whatever AS you get!

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #403
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Our 2017 FC 23FB has the same double sinks as your FC20, but with less counter space. We have a much more usable bed though. Like you said, it is trade offs with small trailers. To us, the bed was more important than the counter space. DW really likes her double sinks though.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #404
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The counter space is enough. Do not forget that you can use the table and a pair of the sink covers provides a different option. RV life is not the same as trophy kitchen life. A simpler life makes a simpler space easier to use. Our first days on the road often include prepared food that only requires serving. The bread product does well with a MW buz. A cooked meal will be a one pan wonder. We have taken to grilling several days worth of meat and often add that to a salad. The dishes get washed once a day and a stack of paper plates cuts down on that job. The coffee maker fits between stove and sink. There really is enough room even if you prefer china to paper. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #405
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
We're thinking hard about changing over from a 27FB to a 23FB at some point, so we'll be reading your updates with great interest. We'd like to downsize for better access to smaller campsites, though at this point it's still just an idea.
Someone on the 23D thread asked about pros and cons of 23D vs 23FB. Here are my thoughts comparing the two that I posted there, copied and pasted for your reading pleasure here:

If I had to do it over again (and I will if the right situation presents itself) I'd go for the 23D over the 23FB. It's mostly just me and my medium pup, and even then the FB just has a 'tight' feel in terms of the living space. The FB has two attributes that attracts many people:

1. The bedroom is AWESOME, with the size of the bed, and the fact that it has a somewhat 'separate' feel to it. But it uses hella lot of space for the luxury. The 'walk-around' aspect of the bed is not really functional...it's about a 6-8 inch opening on the window side of the bed, which is barely enough room to navigate, and with the cabinets directly above, anyone who tries will crack their head, every time. Realistically, the "inside" person will probably jump over the 'outside' person instead just like on the corner bed, or maybe go to the foot of the bed and walk around that way. So really, that 6-8 inches on the window side (and the 12 inches or so at the foot of the bed) is a huge waste of space. I've started using it for storage by stuffing spare blankets and whatever down there.

2. The full, separate bath is also a luxurious feature, with plenty of room for the toilet as compared to the tight fit on the corner bed model, and with the sink, toilet and shower all in a separate space. It's roomy enough to dry off in the bathroom, so there's more privacy. The downside to all that...again, it uses living space.

The result of the generous space in the bedroom and bathroom is the very little floor space for the living area. The island dinette (2014 and later) is very cramped with a table that is too large in my opinion. But Airstream seems bound and determined to offer 'dining for four' come hell or high water. Four people (in my opinion) would be very uncomfortable at that table. And, making it into a bed results in a very narrow bed...for all practical purposes, big enough for only one adult, maybe two children. The sofa that slides into a bed on the corner model is a huge plus, as it gives a similar size bed as on the FB dinette, but without having to convert the dinette, and leaving that be. That's massively convenient. I think a lot of couples use the corner bed for the lady of the house, and the gents use the sofa slide-out like Trout mentioned.

The other advantage is simply the space to relax a bit if inside in the rain, etc--the sofa provides that. The only place on the FB is the bed, or the dinette. The dinette table does swivel around and in and out, and if turned 90 degrees, two people can 'sort of' lounge on each side, against the rounded corners of the seating, but it's not ideal. Some people put the table down and add some more pillows to make it a lounging area.

One last thing I dislike about the dinette is that since it's an island table, it's tougher to use it to leave things out on while camped, like you can on the front dinette on the corner bed models, where you can put regularly used items (wine/drink bottles, books, odds and ends, etc, up against the window, and they aren't in the way.

Having said all that, the FB does have more counter space, depending on model. On the Flying Cloud which is what I have, Airstream chose to put in a double sink (I scratch my head on that one--a bath sink and single kitchen sink is plenty!) so the additional counter space is used up by that--so I leave the right-side sink cover on at all times and use that for counter space. On the corner bed model, while there's not a ton of counter space, using a sink cover helps, and also the dinette is a short reach away to use while meal prepping inside.

OK, one other little thing if you have pets, the corner bed has a great place to put the dog bed---under the dinette and out of the way at night and in mornings. In the FB, can't do that because of the table support, so there is nowhere 'out of the way'. I put it by the door at night, then put it away for the day. Poor pup is constantly getting told to "get out of my way" in the mornings

There are some folks on here who love their FB's for the bath and the bedroom, and are fine with the dinette, so obviously it's very personal like with anything. I moved from a 19 corner bed to the 23FB, but really went with the front bed because only because the deal was too good to pass up. The 23 Corner Bed has the efficient floor plan of the 19, but with the luxury of the 66 inches of sofa and floor space in front of it, more storage, bigger fridge than the 19, etc.

One other item I recently realized is that the 23 FB has a 30 gallon Grey tank, while the corner bed has 21 gallons, which is the same as the 19', while both 23s carry 39 gallons of fresh water and 18 of black water. So the extra grey capacity is nice--I guess it's the layout that allowed for a bigger tank. Nice upgrade but not a deal killer. The FB also has an insane amount of storage, including almost the entire area beneath the bed (which lifts up on gas struts), 2 bedroom closets, 2 bedroom drawers, and a total of six overhead cabinets (not counting the one with the DVD player/audio head in it.) The 23d has one less overhead cabinet. Though the corner bed has a great deal of storage as well...just a little less I think, but that's just a guess from looking at them briefly recently.

I would recommend taking a good look at both and spending some time in each to get a feel for the layouts. Whether or not you have kids or pets might have a major impact on your decision as well.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #406
Rivet Master

Macon , Georgia
Quote:
We also looked at Oliver and visited their factory in Hohenwald, TN. It is is a very nice trailer, and looks to be quite well made. The factory tour was really great, btw. The smaller Oliver is teeny, like a Casita. The larger one is 1.5' narrower than our trailer, and roughly 2' shorter than our 27FB, which is 8.5' wide and 28' long. Not a huge difference in length, though the decreased width would help a lot. They are also quite high off the ground, another plus The floor plan is completely open, except for a bathroom in the back. Overall, a nice trailer, but not sure whether it's the one for us.
Doesn't it have a wet bath? That would be a deal breaker for me.