Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #261
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I read in another thread here that the advantages of tankless are:
- more energy efficient
- "endless" hot water. So if you have many folks taking a shower you don't have to wait for water to reheat.
-saves water, you don't have to run water and wait as long for hot water to exit faucet.

I love making upgrades. We haven't had any issues with our stock unit, so this is low on the list as of now.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #262
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Frustrating, trying to make a deal on a 2018.

Local dealer just pulled the "If you don't buy it here, we won't service you" card. They threatened us with that in 2013 when we bought our Interstate. And they always did our service (their service dept sucks, but that's another story).

Still waiting to hear from the dealer that's an hour away.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #263
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Our local dealer, whom we purchased from, always works us in no matter when we call. They have made the comment that their customers get preference over people who haven't purchased from them. They will, of course, service all Airstreams but their direct customers get priority.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #264
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
They have to service all AS. They can't use that as leverage. However, they do give preference to people that purchase from them. Based on my recent experience, it is a 6-8 week difference if don't purchase from them. This was also in peak time.

I got in in 3 weeks when I called. And friend who bought from another dealer was told 8-9 weeks at the same time.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #265
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
That sounds about like our experience.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #266
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Santa Monica , California
@weirdstuff if you are in SoCal keep in mind that Airstream LA, Airstream OC, and Airstream IE are owned by the same company. It won't really help to compare pricing between those three dealers.

For what it's worth we bought from Airstream OC and had a very good experience, both sales and service. And we had a bunch of modifications done.
rjbrown99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:45 PM   #267
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrown99 View Post
@weirdstuff if you are in SoCal keep in mind that Airstream LA, Airstream OC, and Airstream IE are owned by the same company. It won't really help to compare pricing between those three dealers.
Thanks. Yes, I do know that.

The one down here in San Diego is independent.

The one in IE is about 1.3 hours from us. They've been nice to deal with. But they are currently operating out of a parking lot. Said they're moving into a big place in Temecula (I think), in a few months, and that they will have a full service center. If that's the case, I'm guessing it'll take a whole lot longer than a few months to build and set up and staff a service center...so, I'm not counting on that.

Seems from other's comments above, it is standard practice to give priority service to customers who purchased from them.

I guess I have to decide whether to drive 1.3 hours to purchase and save $2500, but risk being low priority for service at the nearby dealer. It bugs the heck out of me that they use that threat to pressure you into buying from them.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #268
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I read in another thread here that the advantages of tankless are:
- more energy efficient
- "endless" hot water. So if you have many folks taking a shower you don't have to wait for water to reheat.
-saves water, you don't have to run water and wait as long for hot water to exit faucet.

I love making upgrades. We haven't had any issues with our stock unit, so this is low on the list as of now.
Just the two of us. We haven't run out of hot water or propane yet. Now, if I switch the generator to propane and run the A/C, I'll be going through propane a bit faster. For now, this upgrade would be way down on my list..
Thx!

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:20 AM   #269
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Finally got around to taking a photo of the Truma AquaGo Comfort instant on water heater door with a customized door (actual airstream side skin riveted to the stock colton door and then the painted trim around the door). This decorative work was done on both the 23D and the Classic that have this model water heater now.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #270
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Frustrating, trying to make a deal on a 2018.

Local dealer just pulled the "If you don't buy it here, we won't service you" card. They threatened us with that in 2013 when we bought our Interstate. And they always did our service (their service dept sucks, but that's another story).

Still waiting to hear from the dealer that's an hour away.
I'd walk off the lot one second after hearing those words. Buyers vote with their wallets. My wallet and I don't think blackmail is a legitimate sales tactic that any Good dealer would use or tolerate from one of its employees.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #271
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A stupid salesperson is not a good reason to write off a whole organization. However, a terrible service dept is a really big strike and if management and ownership is the problem, walking away with a brisk step and loud voice is a way AS customers can be part of the solution to work with AS Corp to achieve dealer improvement. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 AM   #272
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Finally got around to taking a photo of the Truma AquaGo Comfort instant on water heater door with a customized door (actual airstream side skin riveted to the stock colton door and then the painted trim around the door). This decorative work was done on both the 23D and the Classic that have this model water heater now.
Switz; can you say this installation has met your expectations and has been a big improvement over the standard tank hot water heater? Has it saved water usage, etc?

You now have me thinking about doing this....

thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #273
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

Looks good switz! Did you have the same outfit do this that did your other mods?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #274
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Tomorrow we're driving 1.3 hours to the Airstream dealer to place our order. (Not going to the dealer 15 minutes away).

No matter what I say, or share from your comments here, husband still not convinced that we need awning package. He says we can add it later if we decide we want and need it. He wants to make some kind of covers for the windows, that will shade the windows. So, look for the trailer with some kind of newfangled funky window treatments...and that'd be us.

So, we're going with the Serenity, with the oyster seating (oyster color, not seating for little oysters, though that could be tasty), back up camera, manual awning.

Leaning towards ProPride hitch.

Any last advice before we place our order?
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #275
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I lived in San Diego for many years, and know the climate well including deserts to the east. Remind me to tell you about going through Yuma at midnight in 116 F heat with no AC in an old VW!

Missing out on an instant awning package NOW is penny wise, and pound foolish IMO.

No Rube Goldberg window contraption is going to replace good functional awnings.

Period !!!

Good luck.

Peter

PS personally I don't think you need a Pro Pride for the lighter and narrower 23FB but that is not my area of any expertise.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #276
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
I lived in San Diego for many years, and know the climate well including deserts to the east. Remind me to tell you about going through Yuma at midnight in 116 F heat with no AC in an old VW!

Missing out on an instant awning package NOW is penny wise, and pound foolish IMO.

No Rube Goldberg window contraption is going to replace good functional awnings.

Period !!!

Good luck.

Peter

PS personally I don't think you need a Pro Pride for the lighter and narrower 23FB but that is not my area of any expertise.
This made me laugh!!

Well, I agree with you. I have until manana to convince husband.

You might be right about the Pro Pride. We've never towed before, so it's all new to us. Once thing we do like about the Pro Pride, vs the Blue Ox, is that you don't remove the WD bars each time you unhitch. That seems like it'd be a PIA. We're going off of videos we've watched on line.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #277
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Anyone who lives in San Diego, who does not recognize the need to maximize awnings . . . especially if you are going to the desert at some point . . .

Let us all now praise the patient women of the world!

Good luck . . .

Peter
Old 07-28-2017, 07:55 PM   #278
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
If a grown adult man who lives in San Diego does not recognize the need to maximize awnings . . .

I know!

He keeps saying that, on the 23, there are not enough windows to worry about.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:02 PM   #279
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
The solar gain coming through just one of the windows, especially when the outside temp is over 100 F, and the skin of the Airstream is too hot to touch, may eventually change his mind as he is drenched in sweat feeling . . . whatever . . .

You can lead a horse to water . . .

Over and out.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:11 PM   #280
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
If you are investing all of this money to purchase a unit, just get the awnings. Just my opinion.