Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2023, 12:06 PM   #2181
2 Rivet Member

Willoughby , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banks87 View Post
We are considering a change to a 2023 23FB International.
-The black tank is much smaller than the 28. Does the bathroom sink drain to the grey or the black tank?
-Is the narrower width of the 23 significant in real life use?
-Does the newer, multi positional dining table improve the dining area comfort?

Thanks!
All sinks and shower go to the grey tank.

John
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:01 AM   #2182
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Not sure that the reduced width will be noticeable. but the layout may be more noticeable. It's a very personal consideration and centers on how folks spend time and how they fit the seating.

The advantage of the narrow width is that it misses the stuff (Trees, rocks, rigs) which would scratch or dent a wider rig. Of course that only goes so far, but we traveled a lot of twisty and tight routes where we felt it mad a difference. Enough that the new rig is only 8ft as well.

We did well with the narrow layout. However, in moving up, we found that the full featured 23 (appliances, closets, bed/bath) made it hard to be happy without a major upgrade. The 23s pack a lot into a small coach and that will be to your advantage. The trade off is that so much space is in the bed/bath, that the galley and dinette must serve multiple functions. We liked that - you may not - verify before you jump.

You might look at a 26. It was considered a best by at least one 23 owner. May be hard to find, but worth considering. Depends on your RV lifestyle. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 07:08 AM   #2183
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Shower Mat

Has anyone found a mat (other than a teak one) that fits a 2023 23FB shower? I am 6'4", so I can't afford to lose much shower height and I would think the teak ones would be too thick. Looking for a non-slip type mat.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:29 AM   #2184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Has anyone found a mat (other than a teak one) that fits a 2023 23FB shower? I am 6'4", so I can't afford to lose much shower height and I would think the teak ones would be too thick. Looking for a non-slip type mat.
I’m also 6’4” and I can tell you that the shower in the 23FB is too short without any mat. I showered sitting down. I did purchase the teak mat because I had to sit either way.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:59 AM   #2185
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There are plastic shower mats with suction cups on the bottom to firmly hold the mat in place. Should find one at most stores that sell bathroom items. Try Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Yes, I am 6'-4" and had no trouble showering standing up. Never used seat. Did remove the head from the hook and used it as a hand shower. Worked well. You hang it back up to soap up and then take it down to spray off by hand.

Good Luck. Happy Travels!
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #2186
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
There are plastic shower mats with suction cups on the bottom to firmly hold the mat in place. Should find one at most stores that sell bathroom items.
I just haven't found one that fits without cutting one to size with scissors. I tried that and it looked pretty bad...
Old 02-20-2023, 06:59 AM   #2187
Dugie7733

2017 23' International
Deerfield , New Hampshire
Removing Bathroom countertop?

I am considering changing my countertop and sink in my 23’ FB. I have started to investigate how the counter is held in place and while some of the screw will be difficult to get and remove I can not see how the front left corner is held in place? I can only assume there is a screw coming through the shower wall which we don’t have access to? Does anyone have experience removing the counter top, I don’t want to cut the countertop out in case I want to return it to original in the future.
Dugie7733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 07:08 AM   #2188
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugie7733 View Post
I am considering changing my countertop and sink in my 23’ FB. I have started to investigate how the counter is held in place and while some of the screw will be difficult to get and remove I can not see how the front left corner is held in place? I can only assume there is a screw coming through the shower wall which we don’t have access to? Does anyone have experience removing the counter top, I don’t want to cut the countertop out in case I want to return it to original in the future.

Yes!
Remove the counter length metal bracket at the rear of the countertop from the wall not from the countertop. You can actually reach all the screws which is not the case trying to remove the bracket from the top itself. Then just look and feel for the remaining screws attached to the counter. Everything was accessible from underneath. I used the existing countertop as a template.
Llittle54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 08:29 AM   #2189
Dugie7733

2017 23' International
Front right corner of counter?

I see all the other L brackets and screws along the back wall. But there is no bracket above the hinges on the front left corner of the countertop?
Old 02-21-2023, 06:35 AM   #2190
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Dining/Lounge Cushions

I am interested in replacing the cushions in the dinette area to eliminate those large, rounded corner cushions. I’d like the all-square cushions like the Globetrotter model. Anyone know of someone who has done this? I want to keep the same fabric so that it matches the base.
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:38 AM   #2191
3 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Savoy , Texas
Berkey water filter

We are getting a Berkey water filter next. If you have a Berkey how do you store for it safe traveling?

Thanks
SpinWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 10:12 PM   #2192
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahillring View Post
I am interested in replacing the cushions in the dinette area to eliminate those large, rounded corner cushions. I’d like the all-square cushions like the Globetrotter model. Anyone know of someone who has done this? I want to keep the same fabric so that it matches the base.

We got an estimate from Ultimate Airstreams in Oregon to deal with that same issue. They had a very nice design and matched the fabric but the price was $2500, which was more than we wanted to spend. We’re going to look locally to see if we can find some who can do that.
SteveandNita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 05:46 AM   #2193
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks, SteveandNita! I’ll look in my area as well.
ahillring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:52 AM   #2194
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
23 FB Dinette Table Challenges

Airstream 23 Front Bed Dinette Table Issues.

Recently I wrote Airstream regarding the design of the table used in the Airstream’s 23 foot front bed models. I expressed my concerns in a service request to Airstream which they dismissed, disappointing. In their response they indicated that they were unaware of other customers having issue however based on this site and other social media threads I believe that there are number of people who have concerns. I would encourage those who have or had concerns to let Airstream know. I have sent a follow up email to Airsteam offering to discuss these issues with them - I will let you know if they respond. (Please note, Airstream has stated that their correspondence is confidential and there fore I cannot provide a copy of their response.)

In absence of an Appropriate Airstream response, I am embarking on a number of modifications to the table set-up. I would like to see other solutions, so please post. We would like to retain the ability to use this table as a bed, when travelling with our grandchildren. Here are some of my observations and solutions.

Table space - the table is too large to accommodate Adults - Reducing the width of the cushions on the window side of the table to 2” would increase both table space and bench width. 2” inch should be sufficient clearance to prevent the window latches poking you and we will use a stiffer foam. Note that these cushions are not necessary to make up the bed and if left in place (secured by Velcro), prevent contact with wall. Other options still investigating include reducing the amount of overlap of the table on the benches when it is in the sleeping position.

Table wobble - there are two design issues that affect table stability, the telescoping post and the use of cabinet slides mounted in the horizontal position. By adjusting the table posts clamps some of the sway, slope cannot be taken out, short of replacing the support mechanism, I am not sure what else can be done with the post. The table slides are full extension cabinet (drawer slides) mounted in the horizontal (in the cabinet world - flat) position. These slides were never intended for this type of application. The carrying capacity of slides mounted in this position is about 25% of slides mounted in the vertical position as you typically see on drawer boxes. As well, these slides have a fair amount of play and drop along the minor axis, especially full extension slides, when mounted in the flat position. Simply by placing a piece of 12.5mm Baltic birch plywood between the table and the support I was able to reduce the amount of play significantly. To remedy this issue, I propose adding a supplementary hardwood guide screwed to the bottom of the table. This guide would run most of the width of the table and by overlapping the underside of the table support, minimize table slide play. I also investigating using a two piece slide which has less play but does not fully extend. Both of these solutions are easy to do.

Table Stops - one of the advantages of the cabinet slides is that the table moves freely. However, since Airstream only provided one lock position, the free movement poses a serious safety concern. Any bump, accidental shove could cause the table to move and the contents of containers on it to spill. In another time and trailer space we had this situation occur resulting in my infant son being scalded and a harrowing, long trip to the nearest ER. My son recovered, but we have not forgotten about it. To address this concern I propose affixing a spring loaded indexing pin to the table support that would engage holes drilled into one of the hard slides mentioned above.

Any comments or alternate solutions to the above would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1B1C8C3A-EBDD-46B1-87CA-E9C8CB5E6550.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	429825  
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:11 AM   #2195
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
2023 27' Globetrotter
Centennial , Colorado
I removed by table completely and use a pop-up table to work and eat on - when that table is not in use then my area is more of a lounge. When I have someone meet up to spend the night I use a board I have in the back of my truck. It isn’t often that I have a guest that needs that area. I also removed the bathroom door and have a curtain there.
Jdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:22 AM   #2196
2 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Beach Park , Illinois
I removed my table due to most of the issues you mentioned. I also didn't like the problem of a power outlet either in the upper cabinet or down below the seat. Very inconvenient.
So I removed the original table and placed a fixed hand made table in with outlets/USB in the wall end. Now it's just the wife & I so I didn't care about the bed.
This was the second table I made. The 1st was a smaller version of what Airstream had which allowed more room for people behind it. I also used to carry the old table top in the closet above the water pump with brackets on the front wall to hold it in place.
I posted pics somewhere on here.
51hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:31 AM   #2197
Dugie7733

2017 23' International
Table support

I built a new custom table that is a little smaller that also has hidden hinges that allow you to make the table half its size to be used as a coffee table. I replaced the draw slides with rails and also added a L bracket that i drilled multiple holes into to give me multiple stop points. We Love It!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	77204E4C-E661-424F-A7FB-9B005ADF8A6C.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	429858   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DEF72A3-844E-4C8D-ABE3-0B449189F7FA.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	429859  

Name:	0E0CCA4F-B593-461B-A942-2C4866C5E726.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	429860   Click image for larger version

Name:	C0AE843E-ADA8-402E-9DDD-75E357F99369.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	429861  

Old 04-06-2023, 05:36 AM   #2198
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugie7733 View Post
I built a new custom table that is a little smaller that also has hidden hinges that allow you to make the table half its size to be used as a coffee table. I replaced the draw slides with rails and also added a L bracket that i drilled multiple holes into to give me multiple stop points. We Love It!
You need to go into business making and selling those...
Old 04-09-2023, 10:32 PM   #2199
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
Calgary , Alberta
Hardwired EMS

Anyone installed a Surge/EMS protector in an AS 23FB. I am looking for some advice on where and how to install one in this type of AS.

Thanks!
Air2Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 06:53 AM   #2200
2 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2014 30' International
2003 25' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Dream View Post
Anyone installed a Surge/EMS protector in an AS 23FB. I am looking for some advice on where and how to install one in this type of AS.

Thanks!
I have a 23 FBT. I installed mine below the floor of the big closet. Remove the floor of the closet (two screws) and there is plenty room to install it. This is also where you have access to your pump for adding antifreeze to your lines.
I put my remote display up higher inside the same closet so I just have to open the closet door to see it.
Rbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote