Old 11-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #729
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Our microwave is above the fridge. How they fit the bigger fridge in the new internationals is a mystery, but is a wonderful thing. On our recent maiden voyage, we had tons of fridge space, unlike the tiny fridge we had in the Interstate.
Are you positive it's a 7 cubic foot fridge, or are you just going by what the literature online says? Airstream seams to cut and paste floorplans and spec sheets between models without properly updating the info for each model.

The 5 cf fridge has one door, with a smaller plastic door inside the fridge at the top, which is the freezer section. The 7 cf fridge in the 25'+ models has two doors, the main 5 cf fridge, then a separate door above it for the 2 cf freezer. Does yours have two doors?

Trying to make sense of this mystery!

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #730
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Are you positive it's a 7 cubic foot fridge, or are you just going by what the literature online says? Airstream seams to cut and paste floorplans and spec sheets between models without properly updating the info for each model.

The 5 cf fridge has one door, with a smaller plastic door inside the fridge at the top, which is the freezer section. The 7 cf fridge in the 25'+ models has two doors, the main 5 cf fridge, then a separate door above it for the 2 cf freezer. Does yours have two doors?

Trying to make sense of this mystery!

Well, Iím not completely certain, now that you mention it. Ours has one door with the freezer door inside the fridge. However I do remember husband and I both noticing that it seemed much bigger than in the other similar models that we were looking at. Pics and measurements to come....

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #731
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I measured without a measuring tape...estimates based on length of piece of paper that was out there, and my memory by time I got back inside to write it down....

Fridge/freezer, outside measurements, including the trim pieces, are approx 48' tall x 25" wide.

Here's some pics of fridge, plus a few others....

- fridge inside
- fridge outside
(hoping these pics will help figure out the fridge size question)

- view to front (w/ baskets to contain all our junk, instead of putting everything on the table and not being able to use the table)
- at campsite in Myers Flat, Humboldt County, on maiden trip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1754.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	298916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	298917  

Name:	IMG_1756.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	298918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1699.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	298919  

Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #732
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
The 5 cf fridge has one door, with a smaller plastic door inside the fridge at the top, which is the freezer section. The 7 cf fridge in the 25'+ models has two doors, the main 5 cf fridge, then a separate door above it for the 2 cf freezer.
Will the freezer in the 5 cf fridge hold a 10 lb bag of ice?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #733
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I just googled Dometic, and, well, it sure does look like my fridge is a 5cf. Hmmm. Whatever. It holds lots of food and beer, and that's as good a measurement as I need!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #734
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
I
(hoping these pics will help figure out the fridge size question)
Indeed that is a 5cf fridge.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...series-_-31066

This is a case of Airstream doing a poor job of proofreading their marketing materials. I was curious about this thread because I'm considering switching from my 23fb to a corner bed, and noticed this discrepancy on their website, and then reading these posts!

In any case...I find the 5 cf fridge to be quite spacious, and I've found that by using plastic bins with latching lids, it can hold a LOT. Without the bins I found myself shoving stuff in there and it would all roll around, fall out when door opened, etc. I found some great bins called Sistema at BB&B that allow me to use more of the interior space with bins of varying sizes for different types of food, i.e. one is veggies, one is meats, etc. It's also surprising how much will fit in the freezer section. I do tend to leave drinks and overflow items in a cooler out in the truck.

I'm really jonesing (as usual) over your floor space, sofa area and dinette as compared to my fb model.

Beautiful trailer, enjoy it!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #735
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Indeed that is a 5cf fridge.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...series-_-31066

This is a case of Airstream doing a poor job of proofreading their marketing materials. I was curious about this thread because I'm considering switching from my 23fb to a corner bed, and noticed this discrepancy on their website, and then reading these posts!

In any case...I find the 5 cf fridge to be quite spacious, and I've found that by using plastic bins with latching lids, it can hold a LOT. Without the bins I found myself shoving stuff in there and it would all roll around, fall out when door opened, etc. I found some great bins called Sistema at BB&B that allow me to use more of the interior space with bins of varying sizes for different types of food, i.e. one is veggies, one is meats, etc. It's also surprising how much will fit in the freezer section. I do tend to leave drinks and overflow items in a cooler out in the truck.

I'm really jonesing (as usual) over your floor space, sofa area and dinette as compared to my fb model.

Beautiful trailer, enjoy it!
Well, mystery solved! LOL! 5cf it is!

I'm gonna check out those bins you mentioned, at BB&B.

Yep...lots of floor space...good for a claustrophobic person like me...and a fiddle player too. Plenty of room to hang out inside and play music. Also, lots of space for passing by each other, and getting around the doggie.

EDIT: Apologies for the original misinformation regarding size of the fridge. Not the first time I'm posted wrong info, and probably won't be the last, though I do try to be accurate.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #736
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
What topper did you go with?
I suspect this is subjective and based on ones personal preferences, but we also bought the $118 gel infused 3 in foam from Costco and after cutting it and fitting, headed out on a trip and I have to say I really didn't care for it. Was just too much.
So before heading out on my last 9 day trip, I happened to be in Walmart and noticed in the bedding section, for $48 they have a 1.5in full size memory foam topper. Before cutting this one, we laid it out on the corner bed, and then laid out all the appropriate bedding and took a nap in our driveway . Have to say this cheaper version won out hands down.
So now I am stuck with the 3 in one with a trimmed side and slight radius corner (didn't cut the rear corner larger radius..yet) so thinking we will used this as the topper for the front couch (dinette in the FC) when needed.
Easy enough to travel with as it will just lay out on the bed until needed at bed time.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #737
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
I suspect this is subjective and based on ones personal preferences, but we also bought the $118 gel infused 3 in foam from Costco and after cutting it and fitting, headed out on a trip and I have to say I really didn't care for it. Was just too much.
So before heading out on my last 9 day trip, I happened to be in Walmart and noticed in the bedding section, for $48 they have a 1.5in full size memory foam topper. Before cutting this one, we laid it out on the corner bed, and then laid out all the appropriate bedding and took a nap in our driveway . Have to say this cheaper version won out hands down.
So now I am stuck with the 3 in one with a trimmed side and slight radius corner (didn't cut the rear corner larger radius..yet) so thinking we will used this as the topper for the front couch (dinette in the FC) when needed.
Easy enough to travel with as it will just lay out on the bed until needed at bed time.
We're going to sleep on ours for a couple nights (in the house) prior to cutting it, so, if we don't like it, we'll return it, and will check out the one you bought at Walmart!
Old 11-13-2017, 02:47 AM   #738
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We upgraded the stock Dometic fridge in our 2015 23D International Serenity to a Vitrifrigo unit of similar capacity (model DP-150i) which has a separate freezer compartment. The fridge compartment photo shows the three exhaust fans in the blank off panel that come on whenever the Dan Boss 12Vdc freon compressor runs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3245 copy-Quick Preset_360x480.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	298967   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3247 copy-Quick Preset_360x480.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	298968  

Name:	IMG_3267 copy-Quick Preset_360x480.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	298969  

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #739
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We upgraded the stock Dometic fridge in our 2015 23D International Serenity to a Vitrifrigo unit of similar capacity (model DP-150i) which has a separate freezer compartment. The fridge compartment photo shows the three exhaust fans in the blank off panel that come on whenever the Dan Boss 12Vdc freon compressor runs.
Switz, was this an easy/direct swap out or did it require some retrofitting to cabinetry? Were the three fans part of the package or you added those? How are you finding the fridge, pros and cons, thoughts on performance compared to Dometic? (I'm looking for an excuse to do this, haha, even though I've had no issues with the Dometic).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #740
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I'm hoping to remove the microwave and install a true 7 or 8 cuft fridge this month. I'm trying to decide if I'll need to add a roof vent like the bigger trailers, or if the rear-vent will work.

On one hand, I'd love not to have to install the roof vent.

On the other hand, I love the idea of a roof vent that doesn't require fans.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #741
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Annandale , New Jersey
Quote:
We're going to sleep on ours for a couple nights (in the house) prior to cutting it, so, if we don't like it, we'll return it, and will check out the one you bought at Walmart!
Wish I had as would really prefer the Walmart one for the front bed also.
The 3in Costco is so deep, its difficult to move on or get out of.
Fred L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #742
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
We have a 3inch Novaform Comfortluxe Gel memory foam mattress topper from Costco.

Is this the one you guys have? Itís actually blue. We have this in our home bed and on our 2017 23D FC corner bed. We love it.

Itís firm and you donít sink.

Tags
23d