Old 11-08-2018, 06:50 AM   #2703
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
David and Carole, what an experience! Looks like things could have been so much worse. Great reaction on your part to avoid disaster. I’m curious about one thing, and if it’s already been asked and answered, my apologies. What do you think was the cause for Carole’s cracked sternum? The airbag, or just the seatbelt? Just trying to imagine the forces at play in a high speed rollover. It would seem to me, just from looking at the pics, that to walk away as you did is pretty amazing. I’d say your guardian angel might have been in the area.
Jeff

Old 11-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #2704
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Texas
Jeff,
My guess it was the shoulder belt, it goes right across where the fracture is, and she did hang from it a couple of minutes. I had to cut my side airbag out of the way (never be without a knife within reach!) then pull out the sunroof shade, glass was gone, climb in and get her out.
It would be good for most of us to look at our insurance coverage, and even the good companies sometimes have not so well trained adjusters, like the one that wanted to argue with me this morning on the number of slide outs available on a 23D! and stated you know 2 year old RVs depreciate about 45%!!!

Also take pictures and keep receipts of mods and added equipment, could help recover a few more $$

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers folks, you are a great family!!

David and Carole

dbdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #2705
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just remember the insurance company adjuster is highly trained to give as little money back to you as possible.

All else fails, get an independent appraisal and a real aggressive "junkyard dog" lawyer to beat the insurance company up if need be.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #2706
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
This should fall back on the other driver. From the info I have the other driver stopped a admitted it was their fault. That’s where the junkyard dog attorney would come in. Joking and being light hearted, I would still be crappie flopping on the ground holding my neck.
GMFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #2707
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Just remember the insurance company adjuster is highly trained to give as little money back to you as possible.

On what direct experience do you paint with that brush?

While I’m not so naive as to believe there are zero dishonest people or companies in this (or any) industry I can tell you the vast majority act in good faith. I’ve been in the workplace training field for almost 3 decades - more than half of that in Insurance. In my experience, Claim professionals - who are required to be licensed by most states - are highly trained to investigate the facts of the case and pay what is owed in accordance with the policy - no more, no less.

An insurance policy is a legal instrument with legal obligations for all parties involved, which unfortunately means they’re not written in “plain English” and why licensing is often required of those who adjudicate them. There are circumstances where payments are made in combination with deductibles, exclusions, and limitations applied as identified in the policy. This is why having a good agent who has navigated hundreds of claims with multiple carriers can be a highly valuable resource for consumers - first in the purchase decision and later, if needed, in a claim situation. If you really feel you’ve come across a bad faith actor, your first call should be to your state’s department of insurance.

With that - if you have some direct experience that contradicts mine, I’m wide open to being educated. If not, please stop perpetuating myths that tarnish the vast majority of honest, hard working people who passionately believe they’re providing a meaningful service to society.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #2708
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Steve, every "close encounter of the unfortunate kind" I have ever had with insurance, either vehicle, homeowner, medical or dental, has demonstrated to me that the insurance companies are NOT going to be generous or totally on my side, no matter what their advertising may mumble on about...

Their captive adjusters have to follow the rules of the organization they work for, and in that respect, they are probably honest and competent, within those rules. Ask Jimmini (sp) or Maggie about their latest claim experiences, etc. Many other examples of the adversarial relationship abound just here in the forums.

Over 6 decades of experience as an adult has led me to this conclusion. If you do not defend your rights carefully, the insurance companies will pay out as little as possible, get you to sign off on the claim, and scoot. That's how they maintain their profits and keep their shareholders happy. That's just how the game is played.

Yes, I'm a cynical, untrusting, grumpy old coot, but that's my experience, and I'm sticking to it. And, I'm the nice guy, compared to my DW!

If you think an insurance company is sticking it to you, get the third-party experts involved, and get it made whole...David and Carole's experience with the appraiser is just the TIP of the iceberg. the 45% depreciation comment is just the first indication of the potential problem...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #2709
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Steve, every "close encounter of the unfortunate kind" I have ever had with insurance, either vehicle, homeowner, medical or dental, has demonstrated to me that the insurance companies are NOT going to be generous or totally on my side, no matter what their advertising may mumble on about...

Their captive adjusters have to follow the rules of the organization they work for, and in that respect, they are probably honest and competent, within those rules. Ask Jimmini (sp) or Maggie about their latest claim experiences, etc. Many other examples of the adversarial relationship abound just here in the forums.

Over 6 decades of experience as an adult has led me to this conclusion. If you do not defend your rights carefully, the insurance companies will pay out as little as possible, get you to sign off on the claim, and scoot. That's how they maintain their profits and keep their shareholders happy. That's just how the game is played.

Yes, I'm a cynical, untrusting, grumpy old coot, but that's my experience, and I'm sticking to it. And, I'm the nice guy, compared to my DW!

If you think an insurance company is sticking it to you, get the third-party experts involved, and get it made whole...David and Carole's experience with the appraiser is just the TIP of the iceberg. the 45% depreciation comment is just the first indication of the potential problem...
Luckily, I've only had one experience with a claims adjuster and an insurance company. Our Volvo wagon was totaled by a car that rear-ended my daughter at a red light. We were initially offered 1/2 of what we finally ended getting for the vehicle. It was really a terrible experience and gave me a bad taste of insurance companies.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #2710
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Ok guys I think this should be moved on to an insurance thread and not clog up the 23D thread.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:20 PM   #2711
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Ok guys I think this should be moved on to an insurance thread and not clog up the 23D thread.
Exactly... move it on

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #2712
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
David and Carole, I'm so glad you are both, basically ok. Just seeing your photos scared the s*** out of me.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:17 PM   #2713
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Update on my progress

Thought I'd give you a update.

Still waiting on a call from a friend to install the lift. I told him I'm in no rush as I know it's hunting season and he also is a hunter. I have everything in a box ready for a call.

Just finished up securing the microwave and the tv mount. This was a fairly easy project. Shouldn't have any problems now.

[ATTACH]327412[/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	327412  
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #2714
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
I also pulled the vanity today, pretty simple and straight forward. I didn't find any surprises. All fittings seemed secure.

The back of the city water hook up, the four screws were all snug. This fitting was all plastic, is that good or is there a brass upgrade? Isn't this where the water pressure regulated is located? And do I need a water pressure regulater out side on the spicket?

Also noticed what I think is a brass check valve on the black tank flush. I did remember to blow this out when I winterized earlier.

Now I will get what I need for the plexiglass upgrade on the vanity back.

I'm glad I pulled this vanity. Now I have piece of mind that everything is good and if something goes wrong I'll have a better understanding on how to handle the fix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	327413
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #2715
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I hope you guys don’t mind me chiming in here, even though I don’t own an Airstream yet. Some of my comments or questions would surely be answered more easily by just looking, but I am working from memory of my inspection of the actual thing, or photos or videos.

So, for those of us that don’t have the skills and/or the right tools, I am wondering if alternative solutions to some of those offered here might be worth considering. For example, the fix to the poor design of the spare wheel carrier that Ronnie did. Clearly his was a great job, which the factory should do. But if we cannot cut and weld metal that way, couldn’t we just get a simple sheet of chicken wire fence and bend it in the shape that would fit in the existing carrier, and attach to the carrier with either twisted wire or zip ties? As far as I can tell, that should be strong enough to hold the wheel in there, and has the added advantages of being super light and bendable with regular pliers. Your thoughts?
Leirbag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:47 PM   #2716
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirbag View Post
I hope you guys don’t mind me chiming in here, even though I don’t own an Airstream yet. Some of my comments or questions would surely be answered more easily by just looking, but I am working from memory of my inspection of the actual thing, or photos or videos.

So, for those of us that don’t have the skills and/or the right tools, I am wondering if alternative solutions to some of those offered here might be worth considering. For example, the fix to the poor design of the spare wheel carrier that Ronnie did. Clearly his was a great job, which the factory should do. But if we cannot cut and weld metal that way, couldn’t we just get a simple sheet of chicken wire fence and bend it in the shape that would fit in the existing carrier, and attach to the carrier with either twisted wire or zip ties? As far as I can tell, that should be strong enough to hold the wheel in there, and has the added advantages of being super light and bendable with regular pliers. Your thoughts?
Leirbag,
You are always welcome. And yes there is always more than one way to skill a cat. Expanded steel and some bolts with washers would also work. If there is anything I can do to help just let me know.

Tags
23d