Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Real good detail added DKB. Even though the trailer inspection has been required in TX for years it was not enforced. However, your last paragraph--I have to disagree. The 90 days "prior to" inspection is a new restriction. Before, you could get your inspection any time (on TV or trailer if you wanted). Your TV and/or trailer registration was always mailed--with or without inspection proof. Now, you must inspect no sooner than 90 days prior to registration exp date or no registration is mailed, or allowed until you return to TX with your TV and trailer and get it done. If you are out of state during that 90 days, you do have a restriction that is a problem.
As far as politics, $7.50 of the $14.50 the inspection used to cost now goes to your County tax collector and the state costs of printing the inspection stickers is gone.
Also, It will be interesting to see the trouble, if any, others have in finding an inspection station that accepts trailers. Not all state inspection station listings on the web that show they will inspect trailers will do so. 6 of the 10 I called showed they inspected trailers but only one would do my 30 footer.
It's true that the 90-day thing is new as an explicit restriction, but technically you were required to have that inspection done before its expiration every year. The burdensome aspect comes from them actually enforcing what's been on the books for years. It occurred to me today that it could be an extra inconvenience for part-time Texas residents if their tow vehicle and trailer renew at different times of the year. I wonder if there's a way to get the state to change your renewal cycle if you happened to buy a trailer in January but a vehicle in July...

I think you've slightly misunderstood the change regarding the renewal notices, though. Their website states that if your inspection is expired, they won't send you the standard registration renewal but they WILL send a different form:
If your inspection record cannot be found, is expired or failing, you will not receive a registration renewal notice. Instead, TxDMV will send you an Inspection and Registration Notice informing you that no record could be located. The notice will remind you that an inspection must be completed in order to renew your vehicle registration.
Also, there's a procedure if you're out of state when you need to renew the registration. They'll still send you the registration tag but you'll be required to get your inspection within 3 days of returning to "your home, duty station or destination in Texas."
If your vehicle is currently out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you will be able to self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #22
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks for the great info!!!

BTW,, maybe my experience will help.. my truck was "out of sync" with inspection and license renewals because it was a Demo for 6 months before I bought it and the dealer has to have an inspection to use it on the road as a demo. When I purchased I did not get re-inspected. License renewal was done before the law took effect and the "inspection" process was up and running.

As it turned out, once the law was in effect a while, the truck inspection came due. After inspection, I went to the County Clerks office with my little
Paper. The Clerk asked "would you like to pay for the used months, the renewal will be good till next year and sync with the Inspection?" So, now we are "legal" and in sync. I paid a prorated amount for the 6 months "out of sync" on the license.

A hassle.. Yes, a bit.. But the process was better than expected.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Re: One vehicle's inspection and registration being out of sync: that's useful info but I was thinking in terms of the tow vehicle's registration being out of sync with the trailer's registration. Not a big deal for those of us who are generally in state, but an extra hassle for "seasonal Texans" (the term used on the TxDMV site.) Maybe they'll offer the same pro-rata extension for one or the other to get those in sync?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Re: One vehicle's inspection and registration being out of sync: that's useful info but I was thinking in terms of the tow vehicle's registration being out of sync with the trailer's registration. Not a big deal for those of us who are generally in state, but an extra hassle for "seasonal Texans" (the term used on the TxDMV site.) Maybe they'll offer the same pro-rata extension for one or the other to get those in sync?

In the past I used to just ask the clerk to set the month I wanted. Maybe can't do that anymore? I'd try the angle that I am out of state, and vehicles out if sync present a burden not likely intended by the legislature.
Someone higher up ought to be able to remedy that.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
How does this effect the many Texas residents in name only full timers? Asking because I am getting ready to hit the road full time and need a legal residence of record. I have heard that Texas may be a good state for that.
Try South Dakota. No state income tax, low tax on vehicle. Just have proof that you paid sales tax on your vehicle somewhere when you reregister. Many mail collection and forwarding services available. Property tax on real estate somewhat high, but if you are full timing it, no problem.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
a real pain

If you are like me, and get an old Airstream to fix up and use....you cannot register it in your name and transfer the title until you have it inspected. Many times that take well over a year to get in inspectable condition. Now both the seller and the purchaser are left hanging....
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Just leave the purchase date on the title open. Ooops! did I just say that??????/
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mississippi does not inspect travel trailers. They also recently did away with private vehicle inspections. Not sure what they were thinking when they did that.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:51 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Mississippi does not inspect travel trailers. They also recently did away with private vehicle inspections. Not sure what they were thinking when they did that.

Twenty-six states require regular inspection of automobiles to rid the highways of dangerous vehicles with bald tires, wobbly suspensions, smoke-filled exhausts, and defective brakes and lights. These states are:
Arkansas, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia.

The rest do not , I was living in Wyoming in the seventies when they decided to ditch the annual vehicle inspections . The governor went on the TV and stated that the program was a joke in that it was extremely easy for someone to patch up an old car with "borrowed" tires , ETC. to get a sticker ,then put the old ones back on and go their merry way for another year . Plus that it was such a hassle for everyone to be forced to have to deal with sometimes unscrupulous inspectors that would gouge the drivers for useless and unneeded repairs. And that the State would step up on the road inspections by Troopers for cars that were clearly not in compliance with the laws on the books .

There were several states around that time that did away with the inspections .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't fully understand the decision to stop vehicle inspections in Mississippi. The news footage I saw of the legislature discussing the decision stated that "cars are safer these days". That doesn't stop someone from driving around with bad wiper blades or a blown light bulb. I think it has to do with money partially. They went in the hole charging only $5 for the inspection. It cost more to administer the program and print the stickers than that. If an inspection station splits the money with the state, $2.50 isn't worth their time. Maybe they could have continued doing the inspections, but charged $10?
Does the window tint inspection still exist? That was just dumb. I quit even getting window tint inspections. The first year on the Pathfinder, they made me remove the eyebrow tint. The first year on the Tundra, it passed window tint inspection. The second year, same tint did not pass inspection. "Too dark," they said. It's the same tint. It don't get darker with age. That was in 2008. At that time I decided I just wasn't gonna get any more window tint inspections and I haven't. Nothing has ever been said about it, even when I have gone for the vehicle inspection or through MHP road blocks. The only reason I ever started getting window tint inspections was to try and do the right thing and comply with all state laws, even the ludicrous, ridiculous, asinine state laws that benefit no one and serve no useful purpose, like the window tint law. Funny thing is, cop cars have window tint black as midnight. Why are they excluded? But apparently cops around here are excluded from speed limits, stop signs, red lights, talking and texting on cell phones...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think now that Mississippi no longer does vehicle inspections, if a law enforcement officer sees a blown light bulb he will pull you over.
I think we may have a shortage of highway patrolmen. I haven't been through one of those highway patrol road blocks in several years. I don't see patrol cars as I travel. 99% of motorists speed and pass on a solid line. No police presence. In the past, you would see at least one highway patrol car every time you hit the road. Now I never see patrol cars. In the past, you could count on those road blocks at every holiday time. I think they were checking for Driver's license, inspection, tag and registration. I made it through them with my supposedly too dark illegal window tint. I would have my license out and roll the window down before I got to the checkpoint.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:16 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Used to live in Texas and when I bought my preowned Casita in Kansas in 2010I had to show proof of inspection to register it in Texas. I took it to an oil change facility and asked them to inspect the trailer. They appeared to be confused but had a tech go out and look around the trailer then issue me the inspection sticker and paper work. I had that trailer until 2013 and never bothered to have it inspected again because it never occurred to me but the state still allowed me to register online. When I bought my AS from a Texas dealer they performed the inspection as part of the sales paperwork. I moved to Missouri in late 2013 and when I went to register and title the AS I didn't have to show them proof of inspection. I think I paid for a two year registration at the time.

Auto and trailer inspections are just for revenue and not for safety. The inspections are inadequate for true safety. The states should just add the inspection fee when you register the vehicle and have you agree that your vehicle is safe and maintained properly. It would better for safety if they required drivers to be inspected.

Kelvin
Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
Twenty-six states require regular inspection of automobiles to rid the highways of dangerous vehicles with bald tires, wobbly suspensions, smoke-filled exhausts, and defective brakes and lights. These states are:
Arkansas, California, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia.

The rest do not , I was living in Wyoming in the seventies when they decided to ditch the annual vehicle inspections . The governor went on the TV and stated that the program was a joke in that it was extremely easy for someone to patch up an old car with "borrowed" tires , ETC. to get a sticker ,then put the old ones back on and go their merry way for another year . Plus that it was such a hassle for everyone to be forced to have to deal with sometimes unscrupulous inspectors that would gouge the drivers for useless and unneeded repairs. And that the State would step up on the road inspections by Troopers for cars that were clearly not in compliance with the laws on the books .

There were several states around that time that did away with the inspections .
Arkansas has not had vehicle inspections in over a decade and a half now. I do not know the reason inspections were ended.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:52 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Courtesy of the Navy I spent some time in Virginia. I had 5 different inspection stickers on my windshield. Everyone wanted a piece of the action. When living in Kalifornia the focus was on emissions. Virtually impossible to pass as they were designed. They had a repair limit of $150 to bring into compliance. People would just go ahead and give the inspector $150 up front and get a passing sticker. It was nothing but a racket by a corrupt contractor. When living in Maine they tried to require emissions inspection. The state contracted with the same company that ran the Kalifornia scam program. The people refused to play their silly game and would not get the inspections. After 1 year the state closed down the program. Civil Disobedience at its finest.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It's true that the 90-day thing is new as an explicit restriction, but technically you were required to have that inspection done before its expiration every year. The burdensome aspect comes from them actually enforcing what's been on the books for years. It occurred to me today that it could be an extra inconvenience for part-time Texas residents if their tow vehicle and trailer renew at different times of the year. I wonder if there's a way to get the state to change your renewal cycle if you happened to buy a trailer in January but a vehicle in July...

I think you've slightly misunderstood the change regarding the renewal notices, though. Their website states that if your inspection is expired, they won't send you the standard registration renewal but they WILL send a different form:
If your inspection record cannot be found, is expired or failing, you will not receive a registration renewal notice. Instead, TxDMV will send you an Inspection and Registration Notice informing you that no record could be located. The notice will remind you that an inspection must be completed in order to renew your vehicle registration.
Also, there's a procedure if you're out of state when you need to renew the registration. They'll still send you the registration tag but you'll be required to get your inspection within 3 days of returning to "your home, duty station or destination in Texas."
If your vehicle is currently out of state and you are unable to complete a Texas vehicle inspection in order to renew your registration, you will be able to self-certify that the vehicle is out of state and will be permitted to register online, by mail or in-person. Please contact your county tax office for more information about their requirements for out-of-state registration renewal.
OK David is on this Texas two step very well here. According to County Tax collector on phone today, here is what happens. This year, 2015, if your registration on the trailer comes due and you do not have a current inspection on file, you will get a letter stating that and be instructed to complete the inspection. Take the letter and the inspection report to your county Tax collector in person to get your registration renewal (that was my process these last few days).
Starting next year, David's above quote applies: out of state----self certify your vehicle---register online---your renewal sticker will be mailed as normal. You will have 3 days upon return to Texas to have it inspected (the system sends the TX inspection report directly to DMV).
According to information today, your 2016 registration renewal will be mailed to you with or without a 90 day inspection on file. You can return and pay via mail for that registration but until the "within 90 day" inspection shows up in their computer system, "OR YOU INCLUDE WITH YOUR RETURN PAPERWORK THAT YOU ARE OUT OF STATE AND CERTIFY THAT YOUR VEHICLE IS IN GOOD CONDITION" your renewal sticker will not be mailed out. Then again if out of state, once back in TX, you have the 3 days for the actual inspection to be completed.
I hope this is the real process concerning the inspection/self inspection, it is not what I was told at the Collectors office while registering the trailer a couple days ago. I didn't think to ask about syncing the TV and Trailer registration, sorry.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't fully understand the decision to stop vehicle inspections in Mississippi. The news footage I saw of the legislature discussing the decision stated that "cars are safer these days". That doesn't stop someone from driving around with bad wiper blades or a blown light bulb. I think it has to do with money partially. They went in the hole charging only $5 for the inspection. It cost more to administer the program and print the stickers than that. If an inspection station splits the money with the state, $2.50 isn't worth their time. Maybe they could have continued doing the inspections, but charged $10?
Does the window tint inspection still exist? That was just dumb. I quit even getting window tint inspections. The first year on the Pathfinder, they made me remove the eyebrow tint. The first year on the Tundra, it passed window tint inspection. The second year, same tint did not pass inspection. "Too dark," they said. It's the same tint. It don't get darker with age. That was in 2008. At that time I decided I just wasn't gonna get any more window tint inspections and I haven't. Nothing has ever been said about it, even when I have gone for the vehicle inspection or through MHP road blocks. The only reason I ever started getting window tint inspections was to try and do the right thing and comply with all state laws, even the ludicrous, ridiculous, asinine state laws that benefit no one and serve no useful purpose, like the window tint law. Funny thing is, cop cars have window tint black as midnight. Why are they excluded? But apparently cops around here are excluded from speed limits, stop signs, red lights, talking and texting on cell phones...
Excellent post , Thanks
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Today I got our Airstream "inspected". I used the Texas web site that has a location finder for places that will do trailer inspections. I picked one near our home in Dallas, and went there. One of the employees came out and greeted me as soon as I pulled up, and commented that it was a nice trailer. I thanked him, and we chatted for a moment or two before he said "This will be a very easy inspection, such a nice trailer," and then he grinned broadly. He walked around the trailer, and looked it over briefly, without touching anything, or asking me to turn on any of the lights. He was back standing beside me in less than 30 seconds and smiled and said "You passed". I paid him $7 and was on my way. Everything on the trailer works perfectly, so of course I didn't actually need a safety inspection, so I was happy to have it done quickly, but I was a bit surprised. I suppose I shouldn't have been.

Here's a link to the Texas web site that has an interactive location finder for places that do trailer inspections. Once you select a city or zip code and click "SEARCH", a list of businesses comes up. The code for places that inspect trailers is TL. Hope this helps anyone who hasn't gotten their inspection done yet.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/VIa...r/default.aspx
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I thought Rick Perry was for less government regulation. Or is this Greg Abbott's fault?

Kelvin
Old 08-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Seven bucks doesn't buy much these days,,,,

Lets see $100 an hour divided by seven....

.15 of an hour....

Nine minutes.....

The wrecks he has to spend more time on are just losers....

The mechanic will probably get about 25% of $7,,, or $1.75....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
How does this effect the many Texas residents in name only full timers? Asking because I am getting ready to hit the road full time and need a legal residence of record. I have heard that Texas may be a good state for that.
Forget Texas, go to SD. Very painless and very inexpensive. It cost me $79 for my truck and $115 for my trailer. A drivers license is $28 for 5 years. We had ours in less than 10 minutes. No inspections.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote