Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #221
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Sheri, The 1st pic of the interior- the panel next to the sink looked like stainless steel, now I see it is something different altogether. I wonder if that was originally installed to keep water off the wood, or maybe a PO installed that panel?
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #222
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Sheri, The 1st pic of the interior- the panel next to the sink looked like stainless steel, now I see it is something different altogether. I wonder if that was originally installed to keep water off the wood, or maybe a PO installed that panel?
It was plastic - I remember the 60's - That stuff came in yellow and green (Harvest gold & Avocado!) and was used in room dividers, shower doors, etc. I think Overlander63's "Bertha" had that as part of the shower door insert - in the gold. This piece looks to be avocado, though it could just be dirty. I'd replace with SS.

Paula
Old 05-05-2010, 04:23 PM   #223
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezibels View Post
Hi there! It's actually a cheap plastic from the 60's that someone apparently added along the way. My belief is that it was meant to be bare wood, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong (anyone?? anyone??). I'd love to replace it with something, but since we will attempt to make this as original as possible, we'll forego that piece if it's meant to be bare.

Our overhead sliding doors are made of the same material... that's GOTTA go!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #224
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
It was plastic - I remember the 60's - That stuff came in yellow and green (Harvest gold & Avocado!) and was used in room dividers, shower doors, etc. I think Overlander63's "Bertha" had that as part of the shower door insert - in the gold. This piece looks to be avocado, though it could just be dirty. I'd replace with SS.

Paula
EXACTLY. I've seen a couple other AS's who have had the same plastic implemented... I'd imagine it was a cheap fix at the time. We're hoping to obtain some overhead doors from someone that will match the counters and shower wall. From what digging we've done, it appears that might have been what the original doors were.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #225
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Wow just read the whole thread what a great story! Reads like a fairy tale, maybe Alice in wonderland!!! Looking forward to updates.
kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:51 AM   #226

Currently Looking...
Red Wing , Minnesota
7-14.5 Wheels w Goodyear Hi-Lander tires Brand New!

Hi, Airstream people!

I was reading this older thread and I have 3 brand new Goodyear tires in the 7-14.5 size. I didn't realize they were unique to 1958-1959. (Same year I love my guitar amplifiers from).

I am thinking someone out there might want them. They even still have the nubbies on the tread, so you can tell they have never been run. I'm in Minnesota and they have just been sitting in storage and are in perfect condition.

The wheels they are on are the open center variety and the wheels are not pristine like the tires, but are pretty nice.

I should probably put up a classified, but I thought I would just throw this out there.

WIlliam O
caldivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #227
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Time to wake up an old thread. I made a new discovery today. Alice may have had a California sibling, a possible second California built World Traveler!

I need to clarify that I think I may have found evidence from 1960 of a second California built World Traveler, but I have no idea if that trailer still exists and if so where it is today.

By accident while looking for something else, I found the attached advertisement for the Kohler Electric Plant (an early gasoline or diesel fuel generator) in the May 1960 issue of Trailer Topics magazine. The article includes a photo of a truck and Airstream said to belong to a "Mr. and Mrs. William H. McKinley" and states that they used a 2500W Kohler plant to power the Air Conditioner on their Airstream during trips to Alaska and Central America.

The trailer in the photos in that ad looks like a 1958 California built World Traveler. It has the entry door, curb side window, CB antenna, and International Globe Badge in the typical World Traveler locations. The front window is a Hehr Clear View, while the side window is an older Hehr style with internal supports, which are correct for a 1958 World Traveler. The wheel well shape is appropriate for a 1958 California built Airstream. Other than the presence of a roof mounted air conditioner and possibly a slightly lower position for the International Globe Badge, this trailer looks almost like a clone of Alice. For accuracy it also appears to lack the white roof and extra peice of trim over the front window that were on Alice in her photos from the 1960 WBCCI International Rally in Colorado.

I looked up the McKinleys in old WBCCI Membership Directories and see that William and Elizabeth McKinley joined in 1958 and were assigned #1315, and 1958 was the first year #1315 was used. The McKinleys were from El Cajon, CA which is very appropriate for a California built Airstream, and they are credited with participating on Caravans 16 - Mexico Winter 1958 and 17 - Central America Winter 1958. I confirmed that the McKinleys were WBCCI members at least thru 1967, but did not check further.

Interestingly, the McKinleys would not have had the only World Traveler on those two 1958 caravans, because Wally and Stella Byam were on those caravans in their Gold Trailer, which was built in early 1957 and was the prototype for the later World Traveler production models.

I wish I knew where this newly discovered California World Traveler is, but at the current time I have no way of tracing it's whereabouts since the 1960 ad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kohler Ad from Trailer Topics May 1960.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	281427   Click image for larger version

Name:	#1315 McKinley World Traveler from Kohler Ad.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	281428  

WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #228
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Centrally Located , Wish you were here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Time to wake up an old thread. I made a new discovery today. Alice may have had a California sibling, a possible second California built World Traveler!

I need to clarify that I think I may have found evidence from 1960 of a second California built World Traveler, but I have no idea if that trailer still exists and if so where it is today.

By accident while looking for something else, I found the attached advertisement for the Kohler Electric Plant (an early gasoline or diesel fuel generator) in the May 1960 issue of Trailer Topics magazine. The article includes a photo of a truck and Airstream said to belong to a "Mr. and Mrs. William H. McKinley" and states that they used a 2500W Kohler plant to power the Air Conditioner on their Airstream during trips to Alaska and Central America.

The trailer in the photos in that ad looks like a 1958 California built World Traveler. It has the entry door, curb side window, CB antenna, and International Globe Badge in the typical World Traveler locations. The front window is a Hehr Clear View, while the side window is an older Hehr style with internal supports, which are correct for a 1958 World Traveler. The wheel well shape is appropriate for a 1958 California built Airstream. Other than the presence of a roof mounted air conditioner and possibly a slightly lower position for the International Globe Badge, this trailer looks almost like a clone of Alice. For accuracy it also appears to lack the white roof and extra peice of trim over the front window that were on Alice in her photos from the 1960 WBCCI International Rally in Colorado.

I looked up the McKinleys in old WBCCI Membership Directories and see that William and Elizabeth McKinley joined in 1958 and were assigned #1315, and 1958 was the first year #1315 was used. The McKinleys were from El Cajon, CA which is very appropriate for a California built Airstream, and they are credited with participating on Caravans 16 - Mexico Winter 1958 and 17 - Central America Winter 1958. I confirmed that the McKinleys were WBCCI members at least thru 1967, but did not check further.

Interestingly, the McKinleys would not have had the only World Traveler on those two 1958 caravans, because Wally and Stella Byam were on those caravans in their Gold Trailer, which was built in early 1957 and was the prototype for the later World Traveler production models.

I wish I knew where this newly discovered California World Traveler is, but at the current time I have no way of tracing it's whereabouts since the 1960 ad.

So glad you shared!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #229
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
So after our VERY long hiatus, and ALICE still resting comfortably in our pole shed, we have come to the sad realization that our plans to restore her to her original glory are not coming to fruition. Instead of letting her continue to sit untouched, we have made the difficult decision to part with her. We will not be able to do her justice.

We would definitely like for someone who is interested in restoring her close to original to get her. We will be posting her for sale within the next week.

Thank you to everyone who was so enthusiastic about this gem and our story of obtaining her to bring her back to life. Unfortunately it won't be us, but we can't wait to see what someone else is able to accomplish!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:00 PM   #230
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Wow 5 years since last posting (with new name) and a 2010 very exciting thread. Just reread it. Fun how connected and excited everyone was for you and world traveler Alice.

Almost all the posters from this thread are no longer here except a few.

Maybe 66Overlander or Grandson's will be involved in seeing it gets to the correct home. One would think Airstream and the new Heritage Center could open their wallet for this gem. I think the price will likely have gone up since 2010. We have the wallet but not the skill set.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:18 PM   #231
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Spelling,
Goranson's

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:48 PM   #232
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
I have sent a private message with my direct contact info. I have a friend that may be interested in Alice.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #233
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Wow 5 years since last posting (with new name) and a 2010 very exciting thread. Just reread it. Fun how connected and excited everyone was for you and world traveler Alice.

Almost all the posters from this thread are no longer here except a few.

Maybe 66Overlander or Grandson's will be involved in seeing it gets to the correct home. One would think Airstream and the new Heritage Center could open their wallet for this gem. I think the price will likely have gone up since 2010. We have the wallet but not the skill set.
I see now that the pictures are all gone! I'll upload some in a bit in case anyone is interested. We also published an article on Alice a few years back:

https://vintageairstreamclub.com/wp-..._VA_winter.pdf
Old 08-09-2022, 07:26 AM   #234
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
I have sent a private message with my direct contact info. I have a friend that may be interested in Alice.
Thank you Joe! We will be in contact!
Old 08-09-2022, 08:10 AM   #235
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1976 21' Globetrotter
Madison , Wisconsin
Another link with additional pictures of Alice:

https://vintageairstream.com/photo-a...veler-22-8435/