Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
special edition Norman Rockwell

I saw and inspected a 95 Airstream that had Norman Rockwell painting on the outside of it last week. It was going for 33.000 dollars. I was surprised to see that the entire coach was done in solid oak (where obvious) and oak ply elsewhere. The other thing was solid surface materials (Corian-very heavy) and appliances (like toilet and refer) that did not seem weight conscience.

In my restoration, I have felt like a rocket scientist at times, deciding what materials would be wrong to use based on weight. I remember reading threads from grizzled airstream fathers, advising the use of "light wieght" plywood (hard to find stuff no-less) in favor of 1/8 inch "regular".

I have no regrets, all the care and rocket science I have applied to light weight (close to authentic) stuff, but when I see the eye popping loads apparant in the special edition Norman Rockwell, I wonder.

I even spent all kinds of calories working out the details of ply's on tires and rubber quality due to the worry associated with even nominal additions in weight. I saw this behemith and all the modern, heafty installs it had and wonder, is it that much different than my little 74 tradewind ?

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote