Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
so why...

Did Airstream quit making slide outs in their trailers? Was it because AS is big on "simplicity' and (at least according to rumor) a slide out is typically the first area problems arise? Or was it expense? Everyone is thinking about cost-cutting these days it seems...
mack-in-nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Hobe Sound , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc
Did Airstream quit making slide outs in their trailers? Was it because AS is big on "simplicity' and (at least according to rumor) a slide out is typically the first area problems arise? Or was it expense? Everyone is thinking about cost-cutting these days it seems...
We love our 06 with slide room. We'll never part with her -- unless they start making the 34' with slide again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3970274802.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	155188
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
An Airstream salesperson told me they were not that popular and simply didn't sell very well. Of course, that may have to do with the fact people didn't want to shell out the extra $$$ for the slide-out.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
weight problem

The slide out models only gained you about 11 inches of usuable width and the design compromised the light weight integral stiff skin design to the tune of 500 to 600 pounds as well as cost a bunch more to produce. Two years ago, when I was at the factory, they had the jig, they used to build the slide, still in storage.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We had the Airstream VP of sales at our Region 9 Rally last week, and he aluded to the difficulty to manufacture slides, but after a person from the audience cited they had a 2000 model with a slide that had given no problems, the VP let the topic die.

I have two different friends with slide models, neither have had any difficulties as result, and both love their slide model trailers.

If you've ever worked in a company that produces something, you know the sales department will always blame all their problems on the operations dept.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It was a lot of weight and a lot of cost for the 12" you got.

Most Airstreamers like their RV's simple, stylish, compact, and durable. Those really into extra space can have the fifth wheel of their choice to include eight slides, a washer/dryer, and a fireplace.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
DW wanted a 34. The 30S/O felt like a 34, without the extra axle and set of running gear. Plus, I prefer the tongue weight ratio to our 31D. Tows better.
We love it.
Not to mention, it's always a good conversation piece at CG's.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Never fully studied the slide on a Airstream but can tell they were light years ahead of the stick and staple wonders.. For myself,, knowing the added framing and area of weakness they can be open to I keep to the KISS concept.. Keep it simple stupid..

What I do know is all of my friends with slides in there 5th wheels,, even after the first 2 years hate them.. Water leaks,, mice,, wind drafts,, dust or blown plastic hyd hoses or stuck slides.

Sodbust.

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
or stuck slides.

Sodbust.

THAT is something that brings me up short everytime I start thinking "slide out' I'm a big believer in "Murphy's Law' and firmly believe anything that can get stuck will get stuck, at least if I am 'captaining' the trip. Two of the things I like most about Airstreams is the strength and the simplicity (the classic look too but we're not talking about that)...and a slide out would seem (to me at least) to negate both of those. I can see the usefulness of a slide out, but the horror of dealing with a stuck one more than puts me off...Those of you who have slides and are happy with them...I'm happy for you, but the more I think about it, the more I am sure a slide out is not for me.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
THAT is something that brings me up short everytime I start thinking "slide out' I'm a big believer in "Murphy's Law' and firmly believe anything that can get stuck will get stuck, at least if I am 'captaining' the trip. Two of the things I like most about Airstreams is the strength and the simplicity (the classic look too but we're not talking about that)...and a slide out would seem (to me at least) to negate both of those. I can see the usefulness of a slide out, but the horror of dealing with a stuck one more than puts me off...Those of you who have slides and are happy with them...I'm happy for you, but the more I think about it, the more I am sure a slide out is not for me.
I think the defining characteristic of Airstream is endurance, not simplicity.

If simplicity is what you're after, then tent camping is for you.

After all, we've got weight distribution hitches, TPMS, wheel bearings, brake systems, tires, rivets, hitch/rear cameras, PV, plumbing, electrical, etc...

Old 04-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Oh I've done quite a bit of tent camping, including back packing and even during my 'historical reenacting' days some 'trekking'...camping with no equipment that was not available prior to 1800, which is about as basic as you can get...try sleeping in the rain with no tent at all...

But I still contend that as far as RV's go, Airstreamers are pretty simple..and that simplicity is part and parcel of their endurance...It is a basic case of 'less is more' The less that is there to go wrong the less that will...the less that goes wrong is a big part of the endurance.

I'm not knocking slide outs for anyone..I just don't think they would be for me...but I ain't saying this is my last word on the subject either..

I was just curious as to why Airstream stopped offereing them
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Had One

Why did they stop offering them? My guess would be for lack of interest. If people wanted them in sufficient numbers they would still be making them. I had an SOB with a slide out and now I have an Airstream without one.

People refer to gaining "only" 12 inches but I can tell you that those 12 inches can really open up the floor plan. It is hard to believe until you spend time in one. As with anything, there will always be pluses and minuses with a slide out. Ours worked well for us and did as it was promised but think about this. As the slide moves out you have a HUGE gaping hole in the side of your trailer. Once all the gaskets contact the side of the trailer you are water tight again. Lots to go wrong here and we had our share of issues. Once you learn the system of opening and closing the thing it gets better but I am one of those Murhpy's Law types. If it can go wrong, it probably will and at the worst possible time.

Went out fishing in the early spring in Montana. It snowed about 4 inches and when I tried to close the slide the snow that now had turned to ice, blocked the whole process. And then there was the time when it had rained heavily and the slide brought lots of water with it into the trailer. Most of these issues could be solved by someone smarter than I but it was part of my learning curve.

I like slide outs and I think they offer up a lot but I won't go there again. Keep it simple and avoid Mr. Murphy.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

Went out fishing in the early spring in Montana. It snowed about 4 inches and when I tried to close the slide the snow that now had turned to ice, blocked the whole process.

AH-HA! Big time point to non slide out...one of the major purposes of this rig would be fishing...including some trips to Montana...(they have bigger trout than we have here) Never thought of the slide out freezing in place but I bet that is a major PITA if it does!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
We've had more than a half dozen winter camping trips (with heavy snow, and sleet), and have never had a frozen slide.

I'd submit that if the trailer was cold enough to freeze the slide, you'd have some serious frozen plumbing problems as well...

If you must know why Airstream stopped making the slide, it was because I asked them to. I like having a collectors item, and convinced them it would be a shrewd marketing maneuver as well
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
...People refer to gaining "only" 12 inches but I can tell you that those 12 inches can really open up the floor plan. It is hard to believe until you spend time in one.
Absolutely