Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We tow a 19' Bambi, single-axle, of course. I was crazy paranoid about blowouts, etc but we got PressurePros for the trailer and now I don't worry about it so much...we can monitor the tire pressure and we know immediately if there's an issue giving us time time get off the road and deal with it...and we've done that...a rubber valve stem failed (we now have metal ones)...just keep your tires well-maintained and watch your load and pressure and you will be fine with a single-axle trailer. And you can take it anywhere!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Thanks again, everyone!

I really am leaning toward vintage. I like the really old ones with the many paneled ends (shame on me for not knowing the exact count, but it's more than seven....).

I talked to my grand dad, and he's in no hurry to give up his Traveler. So, I may go look at that Globetrotter I mentioned...even though it's a "newer" one, ala mid 60's I think.

I've got my 34 footer to hold me over for now. What I think would be cool would be to get something in the 18-22' range, vintage, good shell, the rest toast, and do a total rebuild with a new frame and everything. That's what I'd originally wanted to do several years ago with my Excella 31 footer that I had (1977 model), but I didn't have time then. I still don't, but will soon.

See you all on the road,
Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Salt Lake City , Utah
After reading these posts, I'm not so worried about whether I get a dual axle or single, but I better know the difference between the leaf spring type and the torsion. Thanks for the great info
agentsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsteel View Post
After reading these posts, I'm not so worried about whether I get a dual axle or single, but I better know the difference between the leaf spring type and the torsion. Thanks for the great info
Unless you get an Airstream thats pre-1960 then you don't have to worry about the difference. First torsion axle was 1961.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
I agree, great thread. We've got a single axle '64 Safari and a dual axle '68 Overlander. Had one flat with the '64, right after we got a spare for it, so it was not a big deal (but it wasn't a catastrophic blowout, either). We ended up mounting the spare on the tongue with white vinyl covers and a chrome ring. That way we don't have to remember to throw it in the truck.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I had a total blowout on my 67 Safari. I was pulling out to pass a car when there was a tremendous vibration in the stearing wheel, the trailer stayed straight. I pulled over thinking something was wrong with the truck and found the tire cut into 2 pieces by the wheel running on it. Never was a control issue with the trailer and at least you know right away to stop, not drive on with the tire beating on the trailer as in a tandem. Now at least I don't worry about what happens in a blowout.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have had a blow out on a single axle 54 Safari and a lost wheel on a single axle 70 Globetrotter. Neither caused any control problems.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
You guys sure make a strong argument for the single axle trailers!

Well, I did stop and talk to the Globetrotter guy. It's a '64. The owner himself didn't know what year it was.

He said I was about the 40th person to stop and look at it, but the first to actually speak to him about it. He said I get first dibs on it, but he hasn't called me back. I talked to him about three weeks ago....

After reading Wally's book, I can see why he went to the torsion axle over the leaf setup. It's simpler; less to go wrong. But, Wally wasn't thinking about it being 50 years old. Why would he? The GT I looked at had an axle that was totally shot. It'll need a new one. But what the hay....a new axle is what, $1000 maybe? And it lasts 20 years? I can see getting a new torsion axle and not changing the design.

That being said, I'll probably not be going to the jungles of Borneo and so a leaf setup would probably be OK for me

My Avion has six independent leaf setups for six individual swing arms which gives a fully independent suspension. It's a wicked slick setup, and it rides very well. But it's got a lot of parts which are admittedly hard to replace in the jungle. Ol' Wally was a smart cookie.

See ya on the road,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension1.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	91751