Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #57
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We looked at plenty of other trailers and motor homes before choosing the Airstream, and spent a summer in the Phoenix Cruiser, which we inherited from Dad. That was a very nice unit. However, although many folks have pointed out that AS is not perfect it stood head and shoulders above everything else we looked at.

So, I guess the primary marketing strategy is, "Hey, we suck less than those other guys, and we ought to know, because we've been sucking for 80 years."

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #58
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Here is another thought(or two)
Basically Airstream is not just a trailer, it is a many faceted cultural phenomenon. It means many different things to many different people. It is a timeless object. Yes, it has changed in subtle mostly good ways over the years, but nearly everyone who knows the slightest bit about trailers, knows what any Airstream is on sight. So, yes there may be better travel trailers for many different purposes. However there will always be people who want Airstreams for the emotions and memories that they inspire. Airstream will be making Airstream trailers for long into the future, because there will always be a demand. My opinion is that there will never be a radically different next Airstream. They will always be silver aluminum. Thor Industries owns enough other marques to built different style trailers under. They would be foolish to risk diluting the Airstream mystique.

Ken

Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
I do agree that I would prefer to do without the whole black water experience. What's the saying about not doing something where you sleep?

Just give me a functional shower with a (much larger) seat with an opening to bag my waste. Lose the sink also; there is one in the kitchen....
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #60
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrrwolf View Post
I do agree that I would prefer to do without the whole black water experience. What's the saying about not doing something where you sleep?

Just give me a functional shower with a (much larger) seat with an opening to bag my waste. Lose the sink also; there is one in the kitchen....
I know what you mean, that's why I've never been able to bring myself to installing indoor plumbing at home. Its just a passing fad anyway.

Ken
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I know what you mean, that's why I've never been able to bring myself to installing indoor plumbing at home. Its just a passing fad anyway. Ken
Ken, I just hope you planned that plumbing a little farther from the bed than in the camper
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No Bath - Ah YOUTH

As one ages - and I've been doing a LOT of that lately - one finds oneself waking at least once in the night for a "comfort stop".... Yeah. And finding slippers, a robe, a flashlight and keys, then walking 500 feet to a communal bathroom isn't the world's brightest idea.

Well, junior, lets just say that your path will remain dry and fragrant only because we Don't try to wait to get to the communal area!

Plus, once one wakes up enough to make that journey, falling back to sleep may be a lost cause. I agree that there are some campgrounds with such good showers that I enjoy them, but for the midnight tinkle, local is better.

As for not #### where you sleep, really? The male of the species uses the rough at a golf course, a handy dumpster near a building or an open car door as sufficient "design" to make any area of the planet into a toilet.

All I say, is that a straight flush beats a full house.

Paula
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
"All I say, is that a straight flush beats a full house."

Sums it all up tidily for me!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Well, junior...
Thanks, Paula, I haven't been called that in a while, but, of course, I wasn't talking about using communal areas but about not taking my waste with me on a trip. Oh, and complaining a little about the pint sized sitters

Greg
(A guy with an E-tool who knows his ____ stinks)
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
I'm sorry but it is scary looking - looks like a big bug and I would love to see what it looks like after it is hauled down a gravel road. I would like to see the inside though
Old 07-16-2017, 10:40 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Classic 36
Seattle , Washington
Has anyone successfully used the 0.25" Coosa board as a substitute for the aluminium skin? Looks like it curves nicely and is very strong. But don't always want to be the first.