Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Will this be Airstreams next motorhome?

Futuristic all-electric Ecco Camper concept from NAU

While you're at it, check out this trailer.

Compact teardrop trailer transforms into a large family camper

Ken
That How its made video of the teardrop was great; it's got to be getting more than a bit embarrassing for Airstream trying to tell customers that they're getting a modern lightweight trailer when they are clearly not.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Cool! Doesn't look there's much storage but the notion that headspace is the most expendable, that makes tons of sense.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Even if the price of CF comes down to compete with Airstream it will be long after my Airstreaming days are over. Also, did not Avion start when two brothers tried to make a better Airstream, and which factory today can not keep up with orders.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If they can not build an aluminum trailer properly after 80+ years, how are they to master a new technology?

There is a crew of three that are hand building the extremely limited fancy 28' Land Yacht using two dedicated spaces in a stand alone building West of the main assembly plant (the building has the scales in it for all units to cross after assembly plus four or five other bays for QC issues coming off the line).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good Fiberglass?

I am going to a convention in Memphis Tennessee in June.

On the way back I am going to stop at the Oliver factory. If they ever decide to expand beyond a 22 foot RV, Airstream should tremble in its shiney aluminum shoes.

The yachting industry has MUCH bigger double hulled vessels than 22 feet - so it's not any kind of technical leap. And since these people started out making walk in bathtubs they might just have a good handle on the leaks issues!

Paula
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #48
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

On the way back I am going to stop at the Oliver factory. If they ever decide to expand beyond a 22 foot RV, Airstream should tremble in its shiney aluminum shoes.

The yachting industry has MUCH bigger double hulled vessels than 22 feet - so it's not any kind of technical leap. And since these people started out making walk in bathtubs they might just have a good handle on the leaks issues!

Paula

That is new to me. I just checked it out. Our last trailer was a Bigfoot, but this looks to be one whole lot better. If they made a trailer in the 27-30 foot size I would be very tempted. Thanks for mentioning it.
When you get back post some pictures of your tour. Be sure to tell them you think there'd be a good market for a larger trailer.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Paula
These look very nice. What price range? Think Scamp & Casita are similar idea, but cheaper build.

The weight was a surprise though - 4600lbs is just a bit lighter than my Vantage which is much wider and has a steel frame.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncrasher View Post
These look very nice. What price range? Think Scamp & Casita are similar idea, but cheaper build.

The weight was a surprise though - 4600lbs is just a bit lighter than my Vantage which is much wider and has a steel frame.

The big difference to me is that the Scamp, Casita and Bigfoot are all single fiberglass shells The Oliver is a double fiberglass shell, inside and outside. Having owned both a Casita and a Bigfoot, this looks like a big jump in quality.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #51
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Now, this is a really interesting product. The 1723 looks more likely to provide a happy experience. However, one thing that continually puzzles me is why RV designers insist on putting toilets and showers into small trailers that could clearly put that space to better use vs. creating an impossibly cramped toilet and impractical shower. In a trailer that small, I'm going to use the campground toilet / shower facilities anyway. So, give me a more efficient use of that space, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
While you're at it, check out this trailer.
Compact teardrop trailer transforms into a large family camper

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvery Moon View Post
Now, this is a really interesting product. The 1723 looks more likely to provide a happy experience. However, one thing that continually puzzles me is why RV designers insist on putting toilets and showers into small trailers that could clearly put that space to better use vs. creating an impossibly cramped toilet and impractical shower. In a trailer that small, I'm going to use the campground toilet / shower facilities anyway. So, give me a more efficient use of that space, please.

I agree that the 1723, looks like a much better setup. As far as your bath/toilet question; there are those like me who would prefer to use my own facilities, albeit cramped. I've never been one that likes communal bathing facilities unless necessary. (It helps that I'm not very big)It would be interesting to know how the US population would break down on either side of that issue.

The one thing that I think is great is all the window area. Since I spent most of my life in the area you live in, I have grown to like designs that let the maximum light in from outside.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #53
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Agree, I love the open spacious feel you'd get with all that window space. If I ever see one somewhere near us, we'll definitely give it a serious look...just for fun, if nothing else. I still want my CF Airstream, though.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Carbon fiber? I flew airplanes all my working life--both AL and Carbon fiber. But my travel trailer? I'll stick with the AL Airstream, Filiform problems and all. I'm waiting for an all anodized model however. I think price would be restrictive, but that would be the cat's meow.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Carbon fiber? I flew airplanes all my working life--both AL and Carbon fiber. But my travel trailer? I'll stick with the AL Airstream, Filiform problems and all. I'm waiting for an all anodized model however. I think price would be restrictive, but that would be the cat's meow.

The one reason I would like the carbon fiber is the ability to watch hailstones bounce off harmlessly like they used to on our bigfoot. One of my phobias is Airstream hail acne. I guess I could paint it white and tell everyone I'm a golfer.

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
I've been saying AS needs a CF platform for years, but as long as people with more money than sense keep accepting poor quality thinking this is the AS of yesterday they would be foolish to change.

I think I'm lucky to have bought before their relaxing downhill run....

BTW, I did love the comment from Switz that if this is what AS is doing after 80 years of experience, they don't need to risk getting out of their box (pun intended)