Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The McLaren car is carbon fiber...also here are some inside shots of the CR-1. Looks very cool to me.
Won't corrode or dent.
https://www.autoblog.com/photos/glob...#photo-2519260

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #30
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
There is no reason that should stop Airstream from using more composites in the construction of their trailers. The base flooring and interior walls comes to mind. To me what makes an Airstream is the shape and aluminum outside shells. I find it unconscionable that Airstream is still using plywood in the floor.
First of all "ggoat"….I'm sorry if I got your goat by assuming you hated slab sided trailers. Your post seemed to suggest a rabid hatred of anything square. I apologize.

AWCHIEF! You the man!!! This past year I had to replace the sub-floor behind the wheel wells and the first eight or so feet just behind the drivers step due to rot from leaks that were never sealed by PO's. I searched for a new better product to use and found Coosa board. 40% lighter than the equivalent plywood, can't rot, resistant to mildew and machines like a dream.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...me-106269.html

I swear to God that if I ever bought a new Airstream trailer, I would deliver the Coosa board to the factory to use myself.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #31
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It's all outdated.

I want a wood pulp extract trailer.

Wood pulp extract stronger than carbon fiber or Kevlar

Ken
Ken

I'm sure they were experimenting with frozen wood pulp aircraft carriers in WWII to aid getting planes across the Atlantic.

Cheers
Tony
Old 04-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Messing with a Brand Icon = Corporate Suicide

Remember what happened to Coke?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #33
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Remember what happened to Coke?

I remember. it was reduced to producing an illegal drug, that must be smuggled into its own home country.

Truly sad.

Ken
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #34
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
If AS made a carbon fiber TT in the traditional shape and style of an AS trailer, I'd be at front of any line to check it out. No filiform, no other corrosion, no riveted skin joints to leak, and lighter to boot. Sweet! If I'm craving that aluminum look, I'll just have them paint and then clear-coat the shell...but please please no swoopy graphics!

Having seen pictures of critical failures of carbon bicycle frames, I agree that if I were to back a CF-skinned trailer into an immovable object (like a rock, post or tree branch), the skin would probably crunch, snap and break vs. denting, bending or buckling like aluminum.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #35
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I'm sure this appeals to a certain segment of people. Airstream is like owing an Italian or British car... You buy it due to the fact your brain is wired oddly and you like torture! Those who like to strap it on and go buy mainstream, no maintenance , disposable objects that blend into the oceans of likeness. Airstream and the like (land rover, Aston Martin, Bentley) are for folks who know a different way of living. It has nothing to do with affluence or status.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I'm sure this appeals to a certain segment of people. Airstream is like owing an Italian or British car... You buy it due to the fact your brain is wired oddly and you like torture! Those who like to strap it on and go buy mainstream, no maintenance , disposable objects that blend into the oceans of likeness. Airstream and the like (land rover, Aston Martin, Bentley) are for folks who know a different way of living. It has nothing to do with affluence or status.

I'm wondering how many brands of RV you have owned. I've had experience with 4 travel trailers and two pickup campers. Only one (my present) was an Airstream. They were all about equal in maintenance, and all three that were purchased new, needed all kinds of stupid factory mistakes fixed before they could be enjoyed. My only concern about the Airstream is the fragility of the skin. I am paranoid, that I am going to dent it and need to have a full panel replaced. I know that is what insurance is for, but even if someone else does the work it is still a big hassle.

Ken
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Isuzusweet, tried to PM you but i kept getting an error message but anyway....i hear ya!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #38
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ken,
Airstream is my only brand. As I see it Used units come with a certain patina from the po. Glad they dented it rather than me. My new ones are different... The first oops is a real downer which keeps me up at night. After that it is a funny story and a part of our history together.... Kind if a momentous of a trip.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #39
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Forgot to mention: my 1991 excels is a tank. Nothing seems to dent it.
My 2009 PanAmerica will dent while leaning on it while washing it. Different eras, different alloys. I'm really over a perfect skin and just enjoy them.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #40

Will this be Airstreams next motorhome?

http://www.gizmag.com/ecco-camper-concept-nau/19021/

While you're at it, check out this trailer.

http://www.gizmag.com/alto-teardrop-...i-condo/31178/

Ken
Old 04-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Well carbon fiber probably is the future for mainstream RV's. It has to be if you think about it. The mindset of bigger is better, the more luxury the better is entrenched.

With the future of cars and trucks either downsized or electric or whatever they will be, RV's will in turn need to be lighter. Especially with people thinking they need all this square-footage to house their big screen TV's and huge air conditioners, trailers must get lighter. You can only do that with materials. So that part is interesting.

What I'd like to see is Airstream employ some new materials or techniques instead of resting on their laurels and having Thor raking in the money. Why not an aluminum frame and floor structure and get rid of the wood floor? What can be done with interior materials to create unique design yet save weight? How about multiplex wiring? How about LiPro batteries and curved solar panels for a truly integrated power solution?

I'd even propose that most of these things can be done without raising the cost one penny. In fact, I'd argue that some of them would reduce their costs by reducing warranty expense.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
CF composites may in fact someday be the material of choice for a lot of mass produced products. But it may not be in our lifetime. Maybe in our kid's lifetime ?

Over thirty years ago, Beech tried to build a mostly CF composite airplane. At the time, one of the engineers on the project was an acquaintance. He told me that by the time they actually got done fully developing an airworthy craft, it weighed a lot more than their original plan. The cost of trying to produce that plane was a big part of what drove that company into financial ruin ( later became Beechcraft ).

I admire the dreamers out there that try to build new things out of the latest and greatest, but for an everyday joe like myself, most of that stuff is just something to admire from afar as a prototype.

As long as gas is cheap, there will be little incentive to try to re-invent the family RV. My opinion is, there is every likelihood that gas will remain as cheap as it is now for a very long time. There is still a whole lot of deal dinosaur juice in the ground.