Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Self Contained??Mobile??

Greetings Codger!

Originally Posted by Codger
I recently discovered Airstream moterhomes. Does anyone know what the smallest size motorhomw they made? Could this be a possible solution? What are the pros and cons of motorhome and trailers?
The Argosy line was Airstream's launching point for the Motorhomes. The smallest production Motorhome was a 20' model in the Argosy line (1974-77). The shortest Motorhome offered in both lines was sold as 24'. In the Argosy, it was available with either a GM 5.7 liter V8 or a 7.4 liter V8 - - of the four that I have seen, two had the 5.7 and two had the 7.4. The 24' size was also offered once the Motorhome was introduced in the Airstream line, but saw relatively limited production. Both the Argosy and Airstream motorhomes of the Vintage era were built on the GM P30 series chassis.

I don't have any ownership experience with Motorhomes, but have driven a few. The one reservation that I would have with full-timing/extended use would be the necessity of allowing unfamiliar mechanics full access to my living quarters when servicing the engine becomes necessary - - I know when traveling in unfamiliar territory, I tend to transfer valuables from my tow vehicle to coach when it is necessary to leave my tow vehicle with an unfamiliar mechanic - - something that would be difficult if not impossible in a Motorhome even with a small car in tow.

To get a better feel for what Airstream featured in its Motorhome line, try surfing Fred Hinds Airstream Motorhome Archives

Good luck with your research!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #16
1966 17' Caravel
St. Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Bob Lindstrom Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Lindstrom

I have a 66 Caravel and am very intrested in the holding tanks you installed. The black water tank was removed from it and needs to be replaced. Where are you getting your tanks from and how & where are you mounting them?

Bob Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I would also concur with most that the vintage units are probably tougher (interior wise) the the newer stock. Based on some of the old Wally films, I doubt that the cabinetry in my Classic would hang together over some of the trails he pulled on.

I would also assume that you probably will need to carry some critical components with you. Obviously these parts are not in mass production so it would be wise to hear from the group as to what components would you take with you if you were leaving the country for an extended trip. Nothing could be worse than to have a component failure that is difficult to locate.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote