Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Replacement floor for trailers

Hi all.

This is just an FYI tip for future prospective A/S trailer owners. I have read a few issues with relatively new trailers having leaks and rot issues with the OSB or plywood flooring.

I have a 1983 310 turbo diesel that required a complete redo of the floor in the rear convertible lounge. I decided to use a composite marine sheet called Coosa composite board, specifically their Bluewater 20 density sheets. These sheets are 45% less in weight than the equivalent thickness in plywood.

Since they have a number of fibreglass mattings laid throughout the sheet, the material is exceedingly strong, impervious to moisture and very easy to machine. Yes the're more expensive than marine plywood $255 CANADIAN versus $155 for a sheet of #1088 Meranti marine ply, but how much is piece of mind knowing that no matter where or how the water gets in.......it won't ever rot, mildew, smell or mold......ever. Considering you're paying $50,000++++ for a new trailer, what's another $1,000 or so and it's LIGHTER than ply to boot (saves gas).

If I was to order a trailer from A/S, I would deliver the Coosa sheets myself or have them delivered to the factory and INSIST they use them. Hopefully A/S will see the light and use composites in their flooring.

Guaranteed you will recoup the extra expensive should you decide to sell the trailer. What would you rather buy used.....rotted OSB or an A/S Coosa trailer????

http://www.coosacomposites.com/
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Costs to much - why do you think they use the crappy OSB flooring? Sounds like a perfect floor material - will use it next time.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
What is the reality of a factory order succeeding in a change to the foundation base of the trailer such as this? I envisioned the change fee for equipment or perhaps cabinetry; would Airstream even entertain such a mod and hold warrantee on the unit?

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
From what I have heard on the web, people are finding out trouble with their floors after the AS warranty is up. Plus, just like an OEM rust warranty on your car there must be a hole, your whole car could be full of rust; but if there is not one hole through the metal, they will not fix it. Just like your car company the last thing AS will want to do is to put a product on the market that DOESN"T wear out. They sell a product that uses cheap flooring that wears out so people will buy a new one.

I don't have faith in warranties anymore, so I will fix what is broken BEFORE it has a chance to break. I did many mods to my 09 KLR 650 at 1.5 kms on the odo which blew my warranty out the window, BUT as everyone stated on the web, Moma Kawa allways had an excuse why your bike broke....you abused it or they all do that. Mine has never broken.

Coosa is a far superior product than what AS is putting in their trailers now, comes in the same thickness as what is used now, so no changes to cabinets required. You machine it with the same tools as wood or OSB, it machines even easier than OSB or plywood and is lighter and stronger.
AS probably wouldn't want to honour a warranty, as to put fear into you so you would buy the inferior flooring to keep your so called warranty. What would you rather have....a limited warranty with lots of wiggle room that will run out on a product that WILL rot and mold, or no warranty on a product that will last forever?????

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote