Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Renting an Airstream

Hi,

I'm a long time camper, with a wife that is no fan of camping. I think I've sold her on the idea that an Airstream is a good idea - but I would love to test out the idea before we actually invest in one.

I've done lots of searching, but haven't found any airstreams for rent in the gulf coast region. We live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Short of flying out to the west coast and renting one there, does anyone have any thoughts?

I know this is a crazy idea, but would any Airstream owners be willing to rent theirs for a weekend? I know this is crazy - as I doubt that I'd be willing to rent mine out!

There are non airstreams trailers out there for rent, but I think part of the success of making this a good experience for my wife is going to be the wonderfulness of an airstream.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
andyvignes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

The only rental Airstreams that I am aware of is Airstreams2go out west. They also rent the tow vehicle to pull it. One of the issues in renting any travel trailer is that most people without a travel trailer do not have a vehicle capable of or set up to tow a large trailer.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
You could contact your local WBCCI group and ask to visit one of there rallies. There is a good one in NO. At least she could get an idea and see lots of trailers. Maybe someone in your area would know of a member who might rent one. Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Someone may let you "rent" one, as in stay over night in their driveway. You may have a real hard time finding someone willing to let you hook up and pull off. (Real hard time). I dont think that I would loan/rent my 310 MH to ANYBODY unless they owned one themselves. Just too many things could go wrong and then it would get weird.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
KOA offers a few rentals.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking of renting an RV with a similar square footage / interior. Seems like a reasonable way to approximate the experience.
andyvignes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvignes View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I'm thinking of renting an RV with a similar square footage / interior. Seems like a reasonable way to approximate the experience.
No, it won't be the same. I said I would not own a camper and would not camp unless it was in a motel. Then my husband told me to at least go look at an old Airstream for sale. It was love at first sight. I have never been in an SOB that made me feel like I wanted to spend any time in it.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Renting a box trailer would give you the experience of camping and traveling this way. I wouldn't rule it out. After a trip or two you would get a pretty good idea of what its all about. After that making a choice if trailer becomes more based on some experience with the lifestyle. Doing and dreaming are completely different things.
Choosing airstream is a lot about aesthetics as well as towing performance and quality of build.

Once you have spent a few nights out then you will appreciate what it is you are really looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I was thinking of something I saw on CL. They guy rented a spot at a campground, then hooked up the trailer. I think he even provided firewood. Did all the rv hookups. The renter just showed up with their stuff and moved in and lived in the trailer for a week using the amenities of the park. I think I (might) be able to handle the idea. I know that you can rent new trailers, but very few vintage trailers are available to rent. It would still be a hard pill for a vintage owner to swallow. I'm currently facing the possibility of selling mine, so I'm considering this an option to fund my ability to keep it.

Rob
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I agree with those who think a SOB (some other brand in airspeak) box trailer would not be the same. There is not much to compare from a trailer perspective. You won't feel the same when towing, you won't get the smiles and waves from other motorists, and the inside of a lot of the SOB's feel like walking into a 1960's bordello.