Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-29-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
sheriff1's Avatar
 
2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 663
Remedial solar help?

Getting ready to make the solar jump. Iíve done the search box and google searches. Iíve yet to find a source of information I need. I find Lewster is the local pro here so perhaps he will point me in the right direction.
I have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 27FB, no solar, Xantrex Freedom HF 1800w/40a inverter, stock Parallax 7300 series. LED lights.
What I would like to accomplish, I think: enough battery/ solar capacity to watch TV in the evening, short warmups in the microwave 3-6 minuets. Keep the fridge etc running. No AC use. Be able to do this for at lest a week or two in Arizona-Texas during the winter. Be able to grow the system easily if use dictates. Donít mind overbuying to a point to avoid having to replace something undersized.
Here are items Iím considering:
Victron MPPT charge controller. Size to be determined.
2-100watt Renogy mono panels
2- Trojan GC2 batteries. I will extent the current battery box to accommodate them.
I will probably use the panels as portable this winter mounting them on the roof next spring.
I donít think I need to replace the Parallax as the Xantrex serves as a multi stage charger.
How far off base am I?
Thanks!
__________________

sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Overkill Specialist
 
GMFL's Avatar

 
2014 23' International
Dadeville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,554
Images: 4
Blog Entries: 37
Victron MPPT 100/30 is good for up to 400 watts solar
2 Trojan GC batteries will give you 100 useable Amp hrs, you probably need twice that (200ah useable)
Renogy panels are great. I would go with at least 400watts. This will allow faster charging on less than ideal days.
Victron BMV 712 will help you manage your system usage.
That’s my stab at it.
__________________

GMFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
Mount Dora , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 211
I think you’re off to a good start. Not sure if you’ll make it 1-2 weeks, with good sun likely so. But will your holding tanks last that long?
I put 200 watts on the roof last summer. It’s working real well, but my holding tanks, particularly the grey tank, limit my time.
I read this, more than once, before I took the plunge. It was very helpful.
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
__________________
2017 FC 27FB
2017 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:42 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Victron MPPT 100/30 is good for up to 400 watts solar
2 Trojan GC batteries will give you 100 useable Amp hrs, you probably need twice that (200ah useable)
Renogy panels are great. I would go with at least 400watts. This will allow faster charging on less than ideal days.
Victron BMV 712 will help you manage your system usage.
Thatís my stab at it.
That sounds like good advice. That will likely send you down the Lithium rabbit hole, though, to get 200ah usable battery. That IS what you want though.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,351
Hi Sheriff1,

I have a lot of info to send to you. Please shoot me an e-mail at: 4rvsolar@gmail.com with your projected project requirements.

Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Getting ready to make the solar jump. Iíve done the search box and google searches. Iíve yet to find a source of information I need. I find Lewster is the local pro here so perhaps he will point me in the right direction.
I have a 2012 Eddie Bauer 27FB, no solar, Xantrex Freedom HF 1800w/40a inverter, stock Parallax 7300 series. LED lights.
What I would like to accomplish, I think: enough battery/ solar capacity to watch TV in the evening, short warmups in the microwave 3-6 minuets. Keep the fridge etc running. No AC use. Be able to do this for at lest a week or two in Arizona-Texas during the winter. Be able to grow the system easily if use dictates. Donít mind overbuying to a point to avoid having to replace something undersized.
Here are items Iím considering:
Victron MPPT charge controller. Size to be determined.
2-100watt Renogy mono panels
2- Trojan GC2 batteries. I will extent the current battery box to accommodate them.
I will probably use the panels as portable this winter mounting them on the roof next spring.
I donít think I need to replace the Parallax as the Xantrex serves as a multi stage charger.
How far off base am I?
Thanks!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master
 
AirMiles's Avatar
 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Apollo Beach , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 761
I'd recommend reading my "Solar Show & Tell" thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ll-181608.html where I documented my summer-long solar boondocking experience with 400W of solar panels, Victron 100/30, and a pair of 230AH Golf Cart Batteries. This setup meets all my needs, but I only have a 1000W inverter and use a generator to run the microwave and A/C.

To use an 1800W inverter to run a microwave for six minutes is a LOT of load. You are going to run into Peukert's Law https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...attery_runtime . 1800W divided by 12.3V equals a 146 Amp draw! Sure its only for six minutes which totals only 14.6 AHs before Peukert's Law. But when you pull 146A against a pair of 230AH golf cart batteries, they are going to get crushed due to Peukert's law. Golf cart batteries are tough, but I don't know if they could handle this crushing and how much juice you'd have left for watching TV. If you use the microwave at noon, you'd have the benefit of solar recharging after use, but if you use the microwave in the evening????

Maybe others can share their experiences with using the microwave on batteries. My plan is to just stick to using the generator for microwave and A/C needs.
__________________
2017 Flying Cloud 25FB (Miles) 234 nights 31,732 miles
400W Solar, 230AH 6V Batteries, PD4655 Converter, Champion DualFuel Generator, ProPride 1400# Hitch, 16" Michelin's
2019 F250, 6.7 Power Stroke, 4x4, 1.5" Leveled (Sully)
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 519
Also, when you say you want to run the refrigerator, I assume you mean on propane? No way will you be able to run it on an inverter with the setup you outlined.
billrector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I'd recommend reading my "Solar Show & Tell" thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ll-181608.html where I documented my summer-long solar boondocking experience with 400W of solar panels, Victron 100/30, and a pair of 230AH Golf Cart Batteries. This setup meets all my needs, but I only have a 1000W inverter and use a generator to run the microwave and A/C.

To use an 1800W inverter to run a microwave for six minutes is a LOT of load. You are going to run into Peukert's Law https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...attery_runtime . 1800W divided by 12.3V equals a 146 Amp draw! Sure its only for six minutes which totals only 14.6 AHs before Peukert's Law. But when you pull 146A against a pair of 230AH golf cart batteries, they are going to get crushed due to Peukert's law. Golf cart batteries are tough, but I don't know if they could handle this crushing and how much juice you'd have left for watching TV. If you use the microwave at noon, you'd have the benefit of solar recharging after use, but if you use the microwave in the evening????

Maybe others can share their experiences with using the microwave on batteries. My plan is to just stick to using the generator for microwave and A/C needs.
We are able to run the microwave or induction cooktop off of our 3000w Victron Multiplus inverter but itís being driven by 3 (now 5) 100AH lithium batteries in parallel. In my previous trailer I had about 150AH of lead acid batteries and the Magnum inverter was able to run the microwave but, yes, the voltage drop was substantial. It wasnít happy about it.
__________________

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Quality Solar Panels & Solar Controllers to use | Opinions Wanted BoldAdventure Generators & Solar Power 54 03-17-2016 06:04 AM
Airstream solar pre-wiring compatibility with AM solar robi Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 06-11-2014 09:31 PM
Solar Install AM Solar outdoors717 Generators & Solar Power 3 07-15-2012 07:11 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.