Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Recommend a generator Please

OK, We pick up the FC 20 next week, now I want a generator. We would like to have propane and electric start. My wife and I are getting older so weight can be a problem. If we keep it in back of the Pickup which has a folding hard cover , would fumes or heat be a problem. Let's talk generators.
Thanks,
Ron and Glenda
Flyflicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Ron:

I cannot really help with a recommendation. I just wanted to comment that many just leave the gen-set in the rear of the truck as it's easier than moving them. The issue here is you need to make sure that you have enough height under your box cover for the type of unit you choose.

In my case, I was looking real had at the Yamaha 3000 unit, until I measured it and confirmed it was to high for my box with the cover on. so now i'm back on the hunt.

Hope this helps

Doug
Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I don't think the Honda EU3000is or the Yamaha equivalent will fit under your folding tonneau. Check the relative websites for dimensions. These generators are also heavy!

Best bet might be the Honda EU2000i. A single EU2000i will charge your batteries and run everything in your trailer except the AC. You can hook up a companion EU2000 to the first if you want to run your air conditioner from the generators. These generators are light, and will definitely fit under your tonneau cover.

Flip open the cover and open the tailgate when you run them, they will build up heat and fumes otherwise.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Note that the EU2000i is not electric start, but the pull is easy and, in general, first time every time.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I have a Honda EU200i that I use to power everything in my trailer except the AC. I plan to get the companion unit so that I can also run the AC when needed.

Note that the EU2000i weighs just over 50 lbs. with gas in the tank.

Also my EU2000i does not like to have gas sitting in it for any length of time. It sounds like many owners who have similar issues run them empty or drain the fuel from the carb. At the least it is probably worth putting STA-BIL in your fuel. I've had to have my generator in for service because the carb was too gunked up.

Mine rarely starts on the first pull. However, once I get it going it runs great.

If you are worried about theft Honda sells a handle reinforce that you can mount over the handle. Using it I helps me feel a little more confident about running a cable through the handle and locking it down.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
First you have to decide if you want to run the AC with the generator or not? For me the 3000 Hondas would not fit under the fiberglass clamshell on our truck. I have seen one lady camp with a 3000 and a lift for it in the open truck bed. If you want light lifting and will use it mainly to keep the batteries charged and watch TV then one of the 1000 will do fine. I went with the 2000 to hedge the bet for running the AC. So far after 3 years we just have the single 2000 and have not added one. I thought about the propane conversion models. I decided against it. I carry the gen full of gas and keep an empty small gas can in the truck for filling it or to have gas when I know I am going to be running the gen a lot. The 2000 is actually pretty heavy for me. At home before we go I fill it with pure gas, no ethanol. The feet stick to the truck bed. So you have to put it on a sheet of plywood to get it to slide. I generally run it on the tail gate of the truck so I do not have to lift it in and out.
My suggestion would be to try a Honda or Yamaha 1000 gas at first and if you fell like you need more it should be easy to sell. If you want AC then the 3000 in the truck bed with no cover would fine. Or 2, 2000 and keep the cover. They fit fine. For me when it gets really hot it is time to find a site with hookups.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Waterville , Minnesota
We have a Yamaha 3000 that we haul around in the back of the PU. I also have a roll up cover for the box of the truck and the generator seems to fit fine under that. I have it also strapped to the front of the box until we need to use it. I just roll back the cover and plug it in. I did have a "extension cord" made so I don't have to lift out the heavy generator, I roll it to the back, start it and go about my other jobs at hand which includes having a few adult beverages. The only thing bad about that is, the vehicle cant go anywhere or trailer will have no power, but it works for us.
Bait guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Just checked bed dimensions for Ford and Dodge trucks. It looks like the 3000 watt genies from Honda and Yamaha will (may) fit under-tonneau in these trucks, particularly if the tonneau is top-mounted (i.e. not with rails inside the box). The GM truck beds are 1.5-2 inches shallower than Ford and Dodge, which in this case, makes a big difference.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
This is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Powerhouse generators that Camping World sells? They seem so much less expensive than a comparable Honda.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400023742.539165.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	211872

Thanks, Carol
Old 05-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollster View Post
This is slightly off-topic, but does anyone have any experience with the Powerhouse generators that Camping World sells? They seem so much less expensive than a comparable Honda.
Thanks, Carol
Its because they are made in china.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
I have a Yamaha 2400. It fit under the tonneau cover on my 2002 Ford F350. I now have a 2012 Ram 2500 with a cap.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Waterville , Minnesota
forgot to say we have a 2013 ford.
Bait guy is offline   Reply With Quote