Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I just bought a Safari 30....

I had been shopping AS for 2 years, and when I found out they were discontinuing the 30 safari I decided I had better find one. I sent an email to AS last fall and they said they may offer a 30 with the SE package, so I was holding out, but with no luck.

I got one with the side chairs/table, rear queen lower, front queen, LS package, A/V upgrade (wow). I have a family of 6, that includes 4 little girls. The top bunk I feel as though will suit a kid up to around 13 or 14 yrs old depending on how long they are. I am 5'11" and I can fit up there however you do feel enclosed.

Overall I am total stoked on this floorplan. The trailer tows incredible, I have a 3/4 ton 4wd suburban and on the freeway I forget it is back there. I took delivery of mine 7/31 and at that time there was around 28 units left in the states on dealers lots with most of them being 05s still. I was able to get at total of 24% off of MSRP on the unit as it was a permanent resident at the lot. The only bummer is I am not sure how well it will hold its value as it was a bad selling floorplan, and it does not have alot of the cool Airstream features like deep wrap windows, or International style windows.

My only beef with the rig is the Ma and Pa Kettle style plumbing arrangement that is begging to be drug off of the rear. It looks like a FEMA trailer plumbing arrangement, I expected more from the guys at AS.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
My only beef with the rig is the Ma and Pa Kettle style plumbing arrangement that is begging to be drug off of the rear. It looks like a FEMA trailer plumbing arrangement, I expected more from the guys at AS.
I have this plan, and like you I love it.

But I don't understand your comment about the plumbing. It has to be somewhere. All is enclosed in the belly pan except the septic system lines and the holding tanks. Where would you expect them other than inside an access door like motorhomes have them? Since Airstreams are so close to the ground and don't have "basements" like motorhomes, they can't be contained out of site. I think the arrangement is pretty much the same on all Airstreams and SOB's for the most part.

BTW, I too was told by Airstream that the 30' was going to be offered in the SE package after Jan. 1 and was holding out for it and almost missed the boat on this plan as a result. Glad I got in touch with a dealer when I didn't see it materialize. Also, you know the 25' FB SE is Airstream's #1 selling model accounting for 40% of Airstreams sales. Maybe offering the 30' Bunk in the SE package would have increased its sales performance.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Plumbing stuff...

I know all of the Safaris (late models) have the tanks exposed under the bottom with all drains. A long time ago airstream used to put the tanks between the frame rails and the bottom of the tanks did not protrude much below the belly skin. The plumbing discharge valves were acessed through a nice concealed access door at the lower section where our grey plastic rolls under from the lower beltline to the belly skin. I guess the new way is easier, does not require special frame specific tanks etc.

I think the Safari 30 is particularly bad. If you look at the 25s and 22s they are nice and tight to the center of the trailer. No biggie, still love it, just looks like hell IMO.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I think the newer AS's are snugger to the ground. Or so I have been told. I agree it takes a close watch to keep from dragging the pipes on curb when entering drive ways.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote