Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Question about RV Insurance

I have a one year old 2014 25 flying cloud. My coverage is just about up for the year and I wanted to get a feel as to what I should be paying. I live in south Texas. I now have it with the rest of my home and auto but think I'm over paying. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I have my vintage FC insured through Progressive (along with my cars and boats). $377 per year including Roadside Assistance.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Progressive had the best quote for my 2006 Safari. Rates are determined by many factors including your location so what I am paying is not representative of what you may be quoted. It pays to shop around.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One of the benefits of Progressive is that they have great coverage against total loss during the first 10 years of a trailers life. Total loss in years 1-5 will get you a new trailer, no matter the cost. Years 6-10 will give you replacement up to the original value of your trailer when new. I'm pretty sure it also has a disappearing deductible feature if you stay claim free for a number of years. I hit year 11 this year so I may need to call them regarding my coverage. I haven't noticed any appreciable lowering of premium since we passed the 10 year marker.

Their roadside service coverage for the trailer also includes the tow vehicle when you are towing. If tow vehicle requires towing, they will send a second vehicle to tow the trailer also.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I always find it less expensive to add everything to my existing State Farm automobile insurance policy. We get a multi-vehicle discount and a multi-line discount (car insurance, life insurance) that we wouldn't get if the policies were with separate carriers.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
Good Sam?

My Insurance company, Wawanesa quoted me $177/yr for my '05 28' Classic. Then when I went to add the coverage, they sent me a bill for $571! I called and was told they had misquoted me in the original quote (for $177.), but since I called they would honor their original quote - but next year it would be their regular price! Anyway, knowing the Ins. would skyrocket, I called Good Sam after receiving junk mail about their insurance. They quoted me $276/yr with value being what I paid for the unit for the life of the insurance as long as I purchased it within 2 years and had no lapse of insurance over the years. They also quoted me a slightly lower amount with another company, but replacement value was $13,000 to $18,000 and would steadily go lower each year. If I could get an A/S Classic, 28' '05 for that price, I'd be buying them all day and flipping them!

Interestingly, we had a '09 National Pacifica Motorhome, worth about $100k and Wawanesa insured that full coverage for $371/yr. - why would the A/S insurance cost more when it is valued at 1/3 the price of the motorhome? I asked Wawanesa that question and they simply stated "That's the way it is." Doesn't make sense.
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Progressive.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Progressive rates are not only competitive but their claims service is OUTSTANDING! We have had two occasions to file a claim. One where we had to leave the trailer behind for parts and they paid not only for hotels and repairs but also our grown son's who was traveling with us. Could not have been happier and our rates did not go up.
Phoedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have Allstate for my house and TV. They wanted twice as much than Progressive for the same coverage.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
CJ, nothing the insurance industry does makes any sense. They are so big that they write the laws that govern them. Therefore they can do what ever they like and nothing can be done about it.

Old 03-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Well I really do appreciate everybody's input on by insurance issue. I think I've got what information I need to point me in the right direction.
Thank you very much. Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
CJ, nothing the insurance industry does makes any sense. They are so big that they write the laws that govern them. Therefore they can do what ever they like and nothing can be done about it.

Personal opinion follows...

The insurance industry is highly regulated by state departments of insurance. I would imagine (again - personal opinion here) insurance companies would LOVE to be in the position you incorrectly assume they are.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Kingsland , Texas
Here is a little food for thought. You pay X amount for full coverage on a new unit. One year later the unit has depreciated to Y. But you still pay on X amount per year. The ins cost never goes down even though the value of the rv(or tow vehicle) goes down. I have ask many ins agents that very question and the only answer they have is "it cost as much or more to repair no mater the age" But, when the repair bill excedes 50% of the book value they total it and pay you the Y value even though you have been paying on the X value. Think about it!
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Another Airstreamer with good reports on Progressive. Two separate claims, both single vehicle incidents....one was a blowout and the other from my own stupidity, and they handled both quickly, completely and to my satisfaction.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I have replacement value insurance from Progressive that will buy me a new trailer at the current retail price. After the first few years, they will give me what I paid for the trailer. I don't remember the breakpoints as to when it changes over but it is quite a few years. At some point it will then start to depreciate.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
Here is a little food for thought. You pay X amount for full coverage on a new unit. One year later the unit has depreciated to Y. But you still pay on X amount per year. The ins cost never goes down even though the value of the rv(or tow vehicle) goes down. I have ask many ins agents that very question and the only answer they have is "it cost as much or more to repair no mater the age" But, when the repair bill excedes 50% of the book value they total it and pay you the Y value even though you have been paying on the X value. Think about it!
Yep. That's why both of my Airstream's had their own insurance and did not ride on the back of my auto and tow vehicle insurance. While those insurers might be cheaper, you are subject to depreciation the minute that trailer rolls off the lot.

When I bought my Classic in 2003, the only other company who offered replacement insurance (for a limited number of years) other than Progressive was Foremost. When I checked them out, they had become pretty pricey for that coverage. That's one reason I chose Progressive over them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
I'm with Progressive, no one was close to them in pricing & coverage. Liberty whom I have been forever (homeowners and auto), was off the charts crazy.
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

USAA if your eligible, they beat the pants off of progressive and they are a outstanding company.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Unfortunately USAA was almost $200 more a year than Progressive for my SAFARI.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmonkey View Post
USAA if your eligible, they beat the pants off of progressive and they are a outstanding company.

Brushmonkey, I have been with USAA for all of my auto and home coverage since 1989. However, I recently moved my Airstream coverage to FCIS. USAA coverage for an RV is based on "cash value" which means they apply depreciation to all claims-even when brand new. I also learned they use the same depreciation scale for Airstreams as any other SOB. An accident, even when new, will leave you with a potentially huge differential between "market value" and "insurance value". You need an "agreed value" or "replacement value" policy for max protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Zymurbrian is offline   Reply With Quote