Old 03-02-2015, 07:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
I have replacement value insurance from Progressive that will buy me a new trailer at the current retail price. After the first few years, they will give me what I paid for the trailer. I don't remember the breakpoints as to when it changes over but it is quite a few years. At some point it will then start to depreciate.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by palerider View Post
Here is a little food for thought. You pay X amount for full coverage on a new unit. One year later the unit has depreciated to Y. But you still pay on X amount per year. The ins cost never goes down even though the value of the rv(or tow vehicle) goes down. I have ask many ins agents that very question and the only answer they have is "it cost as much or more to repair no mater the age" But, when the repair bill excedes 50% of the book value they total it and pay you the Y value even though you have been paying on the X value. Think about it!
Yep. That's why both of my Airstream's had their own insurance and did not ride on the back of my auto and tow vehicle insurance. While those insurers might be cheaper, you are subject to depreciation the minute that trailer rolls off the lot.

When I bought my Classic in 2003, the only other company who offered replacement insurance (for a limited number of years) other than Progressive was Foremost. When I checked them out, they had become pretty pricey for that coverage. That's one reason I chose Progressive over them.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 PM   #17
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
I'm with Progressive, no one was close to them in pricing & coverage. Liberty whom I have been forever (homeowners and auto), was off the charts crazy.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

USAA if your eligible, they beat the pants off of progressive and they are a outstanding company.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Unfortunately USAA was almost $200 more a year than Progressive for my SAFARI.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushmonkey View Post
USAA if your eligible, they beat the pants off of progressive and they are a outstanding company.

Brushmonkey, I have been with USAA for all of my auto and home coverage since 1989. However, I recently moved my Airstream coverage to FCIS. USAA coverage for an RV is based on "cash value" which means they apply depreciation to all claims-even when brand new. I also learned they use the same depreciation scale for Airstreams as any other SOB. An accident, even when new, will leave you with a potentially huge differential between "market value" and "insurance value". You need an "agreed value" or "replacement value" policy for max protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #21
"SPACE A"

2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
USAA, by far, is the best deal I could find. $480/ year for my '06 Classic SOD.
I have a boat insured with Progressive because USAA no longer insures boats. That insurance is called Progressive/USAA because USAA referred me to Progressive. I don't know if USAA is still insuring all new RVs. My claim satisfaction on the Airstream has been excellent.
Any former or active military can join, I've been with them for 48 years and get the annual refund all members get plus 10%. This pay out is from the above premiums already paid. It is called a subscribers account because it is a return on premiums paid. Not taxable.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
After my accident last August in which my tv and TT were considered (finally) a total loss. I had to prove to one of the 8 (yes 8) adjusters that bounced me around that my TT qualified for my policies total replacement coverage. I could go on and on about the insurance companies tactics to avoid paying the claim(s). However, it was all finally settled to my benefit. However, it was a fight from the start to the finish. Regardless, of how well your insurance company treats you, regardless how great a deal one gets when buying and paying for their policy, you will never truly know how good your insurance really is until you have to use it. After, it was all said and done, I stayed with the same company when I purchased my new TT and TV. The rates increased slightly but not according the agent, not as a result of the accident but 'changing conditions' in Texas. We were extremely lucky that we were not injured. I can't even begin to imagine fighting that fight while having to go through therapy or treatment from injuries. I am sure many people give up and that is exactly what they are hoping you do. They truly have you at a disadvantage.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Wow, I am so glad I found this post! Out of sheer ignorance, I called our auto insurance provider for a quote on the new Airstream we'll be purchasing in the next 10 days and they said "$200 a year to add to your existing policy". Well, I was pleasantly surprised at that number to say the least! Thrilled actually. Then as we were hanging up the phone, the agent mentioned something about depreciated value and that got my wheels spinning about the possible need for gap insurance, etc.. since we'll have a loan on this trailer. And that led me back here. Now I realize why $200/year is in fact too good to be true in many situations.

So...based on what I've read here, I've reached out to the following groups and have 3 estimates for 'total loss replacement value' coverage:
1. Overland Insurance Services
2. FCIS Insurance
3. Miller RV Insurance

These quotes range from ~$900-1,200/year for much more comprehensive coverage in the event of a total loss.

Among these 3 groups - anyone have strong opinions in which to select or to avoid? Unfortunately, USAA is not an option for us.

Would truly appreciate your input! And again, so glad to have this forum available, it's such a wonderful resource!!!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
USAA/Progressive

I have had USAA since IDK when. They referred me to Progressive, and Progressive and I have an "agreed value" for what I paid for the TT for the year.
Kinda like you can negotiate an "agreed hull value" on a vessel. I too was very concerned on just what Progressive covered. After many questions, and a thorough response from them, I sent the check for 343 bones for a years' worth of coverage. That also included towing for both the TV & the TT should an accident or breakdown arise. Their customer service ranks very high IMHO.

My home & vehicles are covered by Farm Bureau, but their quote on the AS, was close to 500 bones. Obviously TT's are NOT their industry.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
Getting Progressive quote now! For some reason I thought I'd read that they did not offer this coverage in TX (another thread), but looks like folks on this thread have Progressive in TX, so I'll get their price!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Progressive !

very easy and reasonable quote / policy set up over the phone for my '72 Sovereign. For 21 days/yr on the road they quoted $163.00/yr with 500 deductible (I live in Ca..) even though only paid $6,000 for the trailer, I've been a bunch of money in so asked for a valuation of $18k.
previous insurer Foremost, part of GEICO wanted me to provide a valuation which was a total nuisance .
Thumbs up from me..
Old 08-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Question about RV Insurance

As an update I called Progressive when I hit year 11 as to why my premium didn't go down (I assumed that my coverage was changing to actual value). For the first 5 years it was replacement value, the next 5 it was the actual cost of the trailer. I found out that I was wrong and that as long as I stay insured with Progressive, my Classic is now covered up to the actual price of the trailer when it was new. So my trailer was 70K new. And that's what I would get paid on a total loss.

I'm currently paying $73.01 monthly with a $500 deductible. The deductible is now waived due to me never having a claim.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote