Old 06-04-2018, 07:20 PM   #15
3rd one is the charm?

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I did convert to propane... and I am happy I did - far more convenient and no more gas being hauled around. However, I could not keep the AC running at 6,000 feet with the Honda 2000i with either the high altitude or regular orifice.

In the end, I had lithium and a Victron Multi-Plus hybrid inverter installed - so I can tell the inverter to "help" the genset out with batt power after shore power yields 'X' amps from the generator.
Thanks...good confirmation that my AC issue with the Honda and the Easy Start is normal for those of us at 6000 feet. Bummer. I still love the propane generator, so much cleaner to deal with as you mentioned. I do wonder though if the gas version would have made a difference with the AC at this elevation.

Your solution is an excellent one, but I'm a little ways off from a kick-ass solar system like you have!

Also, re: my question about leaving the low altitude orifice in, at higher altitudes to see if I get more power, yielded this response from Genconnex today:

'Peak power is achieved when you get the correct fuel/air ratio

As you go up in altitude, the air is thinner. If you don't install the
proper orifice to reduce the fuel commensurate with the reduced air then
your generator will run improperly (too rich) and will not produce the peak
power it's capable of at high altitude. Leaving the low altitude orifice
in will also likely cause your spark plug and engine cylinder to get carbon
deposits on them due to it burring too rich.

On the other side, if you keep the high altitude orifice in and run it at
sea level the engine will run too lean and may cause overheating. It will
also not run properly nor will it put out peak power.

This is the same for gasoline or propane.'

So, not switching out the orifice at altitude will hurt, not help.

One last thing, in case you missed it along the way. Genconnex recommends the Champion Z9Y spark plug, with a smaller gap of .020-.022, versus the larger gap that is OEM on the generator from Honda.

We also recommend using a spark plug gap of 0.020-0.022” as propane requires a slightly higher energy for proper combustion. The original factory gap for gasoline is approx 0.028”-0.030”. Leaving the gap larger (especially on the Honda EU3000is through EU7000is) will cause noticeable sputtering at no load and ECO mode. Here is our latest recommendation for spark plugs as of 6/1/2017 for each unit: EU2000i Champion Z9Y (was NGK CR5HSB but showed recent poor performance in hot weather)

Thanks

PK

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Do any of the newer multi use conversions use a mixture block or are they all using a non-adjustable orifice tube? 😳
Bob
🇺🇸

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I use the Genconnex concession which is not adjustable other than the ability to manually change the orifice for high / low elevation.

I like it because, its "stealth" and gets neatly bundled inside the generator shell
wulfraat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I use the Genconnex concession which is not adjustable other than the ability to manually change the orifice for high / low elevation.

I like it because, its "stealth" and gets neatly bundled inside the generator shell
Definitely is a cleaner looking application...my work around when I did the UScarb conversion 11 yrs ago.
A spare $12 front cover and a 24gal ActionPacker, with a possibles bag for the LP stuff.
A little bulky, but werks ok.😏

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_f1e.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	313289  

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote