Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Panamerica how many built

I bought a 2009 and e mailed airstream on how many we're built and they said they do not keep track which sounds funny to me. So does anybody have a idea where to find out or knows how many where built. Thanks
Pedecanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedecanada
I bought a 2009 and e mailed airstream on how many we're built and they said they do not keep track which sounds funny to me. So does anybody have a idea where to find out or knows how many where built. Thanks
Hmmm - that sounds weird. Try searching for Thor's annual reports. Some companies publish facts like that, some don't.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedecanada View Post
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I know they keep track, they were able to tell me they made 79 Safari bubkhouses total.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
Colin are you saying only 18.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Just seeing this thread... I was at the factory lat May and asked the same question re number of PanAmerica units built. One would think it was a national security question! Records are kept -- BUT -- getting a historical answer seems to depend upon who you ask AND how they feel about customer service at that exact moment in time. Since I was there for Alumapalooza III, I had time to ask several more friendly PR types this, and other related questions. How many? 19 (counting the prototype). Will they be made again? Not likely, due to market conditions and small niche market demographic it served. Read "Younger market loved the concept, but lacked the funds to purchase. Older buyers may have had funds, but not the need or ability to deal with the size of the PA. Operational cost and storage requirements are a factor. Also, most BLM and National parks have size constraints. Hence, the Eddie Bauer. Though it's far from low cost, it fit the market better for both demographics -- as do all of the Safari models. Here's another stranger Area 51 response: "We don't keep records of the production sequence in which these PA's were manufactured." WOW! AMAZING!! Last time I worked in modern manufacturing, serial numbers were a standard thing. And we all know VIN's are on our units.

VINs were first used in 1954. From 1954 to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats. In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States standardized the format. It required all over-the-road-vehicles sold to contain a 17-character VIN, which does not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0).

SO, when you ask for historical info from Airstream, the planets MUST be in proper alignment. You'll get help; but way too often, you can get a runaround! Things, you'll discover, are really different at the Airstream home in Jackson Center, OH.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Future sales

It will be interesting to see how these Panamericas sale on the resale market. I am sure they will hold their value, might take a bit to sale one however.

...And you gotta have a whale of a tow vehicle!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
It will be interesting to see how these Panamericas sale on the resale market. I am sure they will hold their value, might take a bit to sale one however.

...And you gotta have a whale of a tow vehicle!
They do come on the market and are snapped up pretty fast. As to towing, you do NOT always need a big truck to safely tow a Panamerica (or other Airstreams! It just is NOT needed, as with SOB trailers! I tow with a 2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x2 Crewmax with short bed. CanAm RV, in Canada, has been doing so (towing big Airstreams) for many years using sedans. I have seen similar 34' Airstreams towed by a Ford Taurus SHO sedan at their shop. They keep some setup to prove it to the disbelieving. It's all in the hitch setup. There just is no need for a super duty tow vehicles -- unless you just want (or already have) such a gas burner. I get 17-19 mpg on highway @ 65-70 mph solo; with the PA being towed, I can get 10-12 mpg at these same speeds on flat roads. On hills/valleys (because of the 6 speed trans, I don't do too bad either. So ANYONE thinking you NEED a big truck can stand down; it isn't so. Read the current issue of Airstream Life, Spring 2013 (page 23). Save some money; don't believe the hype and fear towing the bigger Airstreams. Just consult the gurus noted above.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
they do come on the market and are snapped up pretty fast. As to towing, you do not always need a big truck to safely tow a panamerica (or other airstreams! It just is not needed, as with sob trailers! I tow with a 2010 toyota tundra 5.7l 4x2 crewmax with short bed. Canam rv, in canada, has been doing so (towing big airstreams) for many years using sedans. I have seen similar 34' airstreams towed by a ford taurus sho sedan at their shop. They keep some setup to prove it to the disbelieving. It's all in the hitch setup. There just is no need for a super duty tow vehicles -- unless you just want (or already have) such a gas burner. I get 17-19 mpg on highway @ 65-70 mph solo; with the pa being towed, i can get 10-12 mpg at these same speeds on flat roads. On hills/valleys (because of the 6 speed trans, i don't do too bad either. so anyone thinking you need a big truck can stand down; it isn't so. read the current issue of airstream life, spring 2013 (page 23). Save some money; don't believe the hype and fear towing the bigger airstreams. Just consult the gurus noted above.
AMEN!
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
weyburn , Saskatchewan
My 34 foot Panamerica pulls like a 25 foot any other brand.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
All i was considering was the 1,100 lb tongue weight. I tow a Safari 30 with a Mercedes GL350, does fine so I agree you don't need a 1 ton truck to tow all the time.

I think the Panamerica has a higher GVWR than a standard 34, aside from maybe a slide out 34?

Those are cool rigs. I considered one as well, had the idea for four folding wall mounted bunks for kids room.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

2019 27' Globetrotter
1957 16' Bubble
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
I believe there were a total of 19 produced with some going to Europe....not all were offered at retail. I've met two owners ....one is in the Oregon Unit....some great innovation in these beauties!
monah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
If you do a Internet search (Google, Bing, etc.) using the term Airstream PanAmerica, and then click on the results pages link for images, you will discover that at least 25% of them are/were used by commercial interests: Victorinox brand, Mutual of Omaha Insurance for National Public Radio, Eddie Bauer (First Ascent), and Aether Clothing (bought used from TX). Any PA's that went over seas HAD to have extensive modifications performed to them FIRST, before they could be legally used as trailers. Deep pockets a must!! Euro bound Airstream units can only be seen at the factory; they're the size of the 22' to 28' Safari models. Most Euro and Asian roads are too small for large RV trailers to get into the wild or parks. See the 28' Airstream International 684 model for details.