Old 02-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Just my luck!!

Speaking of old WBCCI numbers......

In my (so far fruitless) search to locate my paternal Grandfather's 1969 23' Safari (sold in 76) I did a check several years ago, through the WBCCI Headquarters in Jackson Center, on my Grandfathers number--- #22425.

According to their stats, the number was re-issued the first and only time to a gentleman in (i believe) Maryland around 1980 or so. I spoke to this gentleman one time, thinking this may just be the trailer, but no, his was a later 70's 31' Sovereign.

This number showed up every year since, in the WBCCI Directory, and i assumed he was still an active member.

Fast forward to last summer, and i finally found a clone trailer to my Grandfather's...on ebay, and in WPB, Fla. After the purchase, and on the way up, I HAD to stop in Jackson Center, (Airstream Mecca) and tour the facilities. My last stop on my way home was to WBCCI HQ, and i became an official member.... And #22425 was still listed to that same gentleman, so i opted for the next successive number.(#22426) I thought it only fitting, since there could really NEVER be another #22425.....

Wouldn't you know, just a few weeks ago, i get my very first WBCCI Directory in the mail, and sure enough, there is no #22425 listed anymore!!!!
I guess it would take just a call to WBCCI HQ, and request Gramp's old number, once and for all..... hmmm... I have been rolling that around for awhile now.....is this something I really want to do, after all this time now??.....and the "Big Red Numbers" are already in place up on my own "Tin Can".....

Interestingly enough, In the 1976 WBCCI Directory, the numbers had already gotten into the early 30000s..... These must have been nearly peak years for membership in the club. Does anyone know what year was the peak of membership..... and how many members?? I remember the tour guide at Airstream telling me it was 1973 or 1974 that was the peak years of production for them, running 24 hrs a day 7 days a week on the line to keep up with orders. MMmmmmm...Good Days.....

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St Petersburg , Florida
Commander 31...

It only seems logical that you need to buy another A/S.

A 1969 23' Safari to put your grandfather's old #'s on.

Good Luck,

Steve

Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
I like your thought process Steve!!!....

I guess the ultimate solution would be to find his actual trailer somewhere, I'll bet the "ghost numbers" would still be visible up top.....

I figure that some time, somewhere, with the advent of this internet, and this forum, and how small it makes this huge world of ours.... that i will one day run across this trailer.....after a 31 yr absence, and knowing my luck, it will still be here in the Metro Detroit area...

THEN.... What'll I do with TWO identical 69 23' Safaris ????

Hmmm...guess I'll also hafta try and find two identical '68 Mercury Colony Park Woody Wagons to pull em with too, eh???? (gotta keep the retro-cool vintage theme now, ya know!!)

Gee, I am beginning to like my own thought processes now too.... !!!!

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If this were me I'd be grabbing gramp's number. But then, that's just me. But it would awful good on that trailer..........

Barry
Old 02-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #61
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by caadoptees
I don't mean new photographs of old Airstreams, I mean old photographs of current (at that time) Airstreams. Let me show by example.

My father took many slides of our travels with the Airstream. I have found the ones that had shots of the Airstream in it.

I am hoping that looking at these 'vintage' pictures would not only be fun but may be helpful to restorers that want to see what a trailer looked like 'back then'.

The link is: http://airstream.casarodante.org They are in no particular order. As people help the identifications, I will post more notes. My father's list of trailers that they owned are: '57, '62, '69, '71, '76 and '92. We have the '92 so there are no photos of that.

Have fun!
really great and incredible quality for vintage pictures;
You've made a good job on these and it's a treasure for archive.
it was a great pleasure to see them on places I've visited only a few weeks ago.

Congratulations.

Bruno.
My AIRSTREAMLIFE ning
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #62
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Roger,
Great thread, I really enjoyed the trip back in time to the "good old days". What great memories and experiences. All of those places are on my "places to see" list. Linda and I will start checking them off with our trip to the west coast and back to Perry this summer.
Awesome!
Thank you, thank you.
Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #63
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31
Speaking of old WBCCI numbers......

In my (so far fruitless) search to locate my paternal Grandfather's 1969 23' Safari (sold in 76) I did a check several years ago, through the WBCCI Headquarters in Jackson Center, on my Grandfathers number--- #22425.

According to their stats, the number was re-issued the first and only time to a gentleman in (i believe) Maryland around 1980 or so. I spoke to this gentleman one time, thinking this may just be the trailer, but no, his was a later 70's 31' Sovereign.

This number showed up every year since, in the WBCCI Directory, and i assumed he was still an active member.

Fast forward to last summer, and i finally found a clone trailer to my Grandfather's...on ebay, and in WPB, Fla. After the purchase, and on the way up, I HAD to stop in Jackson Center, (Airstream Mecca) and tour the facilities. My last stop on my way home was to WBCCI HQ, and i became an official member.... And #22425 was still listed to that same gentleman, so i opted for the next successive number.(#22426) I thought it only fitting, since there could really NEVER be another #22425.....

Wouldn't you know, just a few weeks ago, i get my very first WBCCI Directory in the mail, and sure enough, there is no #22425 listed anymore!!!!
I guess it would take just a call to WBCCI HQ, and request Gramp's old number, once and for all..... hmmm... I have been rolling that around for awhile now.....is this something I really want to do, after all this time now??.....and the "Big Red Numbers" are already in place up on my own "Tin Can".....

Interestingly enough, In the 1976 WBCCI Directory, the numbers had already gotten into the early 30000s..... These must have been nearly peak years for membership in the club. Does anyone know what year was the peak of membership..... and how many members?? I remember the tour guide at Airstream telling me it was 1973 or 1974 that was the peak years of production for them, running 24 hrs a day 7 days a week on the line to keep up with orders. MMmmmmm...Good Days.....

Since your grandfathers number is finally available,now might be a good time to grab it.

As far as the peak year for WBCCI membership,I know that there were 25000 members in 1976.If that is not the peak year it is very close.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Hmmm...now u got me thinkin.......

Yup, I am surely thinkin about it now......

Guess I'll make a call down to Jackson Ctr and chat with one of the ladies down at WBCCI HQ and get their input on that one.......maybe there would be a year or two grace period before they reassign a number...I dunno.....

On another tack....(just thinkin out loud this morning)
I sure would like to know if there was any sort of a organized "registry" with any of the several Airstream sites out there.....this would help me to possibly find the ever elusive Safari of my Grandfathers.........hmmm..... Even if it was just an organized list by year and model.
In the Lincoln & Continental Owners Club, The Vintage Thunderbird Club, and the Shelby American Club, all of which i have been active members in the past, they always published a registry with the yearly directory...most with VINs too, so someone could cross reference a car by it's VIN....fun to find out what ever happened to that 59 Continental Convertible, or that 69 Shelby GT350 you used to own so many years ago!!! What an awesome idea that would be to start this with the Airstream group....... (oooh, sounds pretty time consuming tho.....)

scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426

Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #65
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
What awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote