Old 09-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
So what would a premium site on the water cost compared to a campground inland?

Old 09-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Welcome. On FL and Jan/Feb visitation. That is the coldest time of the year. One rule of thumb is the average daily temps for the regions. The northern part, north of Ocala averages 40's. Mid central is 50's and south FL is 60's during that time. South FL is anything south of Fort Desoto on the west, the northern shore of Lake Oc in the center and south of Vero on the east coast. These are averages of course and not exact daily temps. On the Gulf side the warmer areas are Sarasota and southward. Focus on that area of the coast for a warmer visit.
I am almost afraid to share my faves anymore. A few years ago I did that and now I can never find a site!
I will share one to be nice- Turtle Beach Campground. It is very small and a county site. It is a tight squeeze to back in as it is narrow. I stayed there and was able to get in just fine. The nice part is that it is right on the beach though perpendicular to the shore. It is as much as $60 a night. You would have to avoid area 6 with a non-Bambi Airstream.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Christmas 1995 I was living on my sailboat in Key West. Woke up Christmas morning to a dusting of snow on the deck. The next day it was back to low 80's.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAbne View Post
If you do not find a commercial waterfront campground you could possibly stay at Koreshan State Park just south of Estero, FL. They have water and electrical power at most sites. You can rent a kayak to see nearby Estero Bay. There are many nice beaches nearby, including Lovers Key and of course our (usually) warm Naples beaches. Stays at FL State Parks are limited to 2 weeks.
Koreshan campground is undergoing renovations, and is still closed. Supposed to open sometime soon. I'm dying to camp there, and paddle out to Mound Key. The mounds are supposed to be docile in the wintertime, but you never know...
Old 09-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
AlamoRunner is correct on the Camp Gulf in Destin. As far as I know, they are the only places where you can camp right on the beach in the north half of the state. At a nice price. There use to be some places on the Atlantic side just north of Daytona Beach around Beverly Beach, but I think they were taking them out for condos. Good look finding a place on short notice.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Welcome. On FL and Jan/Feb visitation. That is the coldest time of the year. One rule of thumb is the average daily temps for the regions. The northern part, north of Ocala averages 40's. Mid central is 50's and south FL is 60's during that time. South FL is anything south of Fort Desoto on the west, the northern shore of Lake Oc in the center and south of Vero on the east coast. These are averages of course and not exact daily temps. On the Gulf side the warmer areas are Sarasota and southward. Focus on that area of the coast for a warmer visit.
I am almost afraid to share my faves anymore. A few years ago I did that and now I can never find a site!
I will share one to be nice- Turtle Beach Campground. It is very small and a county site. It is a tight squeeze to back in as it is narrow. I stayed there and was able to get in just fine. The nice part is that it is right on the beach though perpendicular to the shore. It is as much as $60 a night. You would have to avoid area 6 with a non-Bambi Airstream.
50 would be the average between the high and low for Gainesville area, n fl. In january
Old 09-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Try Sanata Rosa Rv in Navarre,Fl
Old 09-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It would be nice to hear back from the OP to find out where they would actualy like to go.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Topsail is great.
You may even be able to attend the Canopener rally in January at Topsail.
You will see many other beautiful gulf coast campgrounds on the way to Topsail.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:28 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
It may not be on the ocean, but nice large sites are always available at the Ocala National Forest campgrounds north of Orlando and you sure can't beat the cost.

If you really want to be where it is warm, then you can always camp in the Everglades National Park without hookups.

Your Airstream is self contained. Dry camping opens up a lot of opportunities for camping not available to those that must have hookups.

Dan