Old 09-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
Try Grayton Beach State Park. But like others have said, it is very likely booked by now for this January.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Reservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb View Post
Hi,
We are looking to spend a couple of weeks in Florida in either January or February.
This will be our first time doing Florida in our 28 foot Flying Cloud.
I would appreciate any ideas of nice waterfront campgrounds.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Susan
We have a reservation at stock island for 2 months starting 15 dec. 2300 month. We may not go this yr. if your interested in last min wait. Key West.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anytown , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sueb View Post
Hi,
We are looking to spend a couple of weeks in Florida in either January or February.
This will be our first time doing Florida in our 28 foot Flying Cloud.
I would appreciate any ideas of nice waterfront campgrounds.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Susan
We stayed 5 days at Red Coconut RV Park in Ft. Myers and liked it quite a bit. The campsites are small and it can feel cramped, but the location is great. You are literally a few steps away from the nice white powdery sand beach. We booked only a few weeks in advance this April. If you are willing to move a few times (they do have a person who moves and parks your trailer for you) you can get a spot on the waterfront side. But like others have said the earlier you book the better.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Susan, Welcome. Florida has quite a large coast line on the Gulf side. You did not say what area you are interested in. The northern Panhandle can get cold and wet during the winter. My favorite part of Florida next to the lower Keys is around Cedar Key. I have stayed at the Sunset Key campground several times. It is an excellant little mom and pop operation with some long term resident characters and is popular with snow birds. Ceder Key is a lot like Key West was 30 years ago. It is one of the few places left where you can get truly fresh seafood right off the boats.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Panacea , Florida
Susan
Most of the replies you received are accurate about most parts of Florida, advance reservations are critical during that time of year. And yes north Florida can be cold during January and February but hey, still better to be on a beach with sunshine and 40 degree weather than snow.

My wife and I live in an old fishing cabin on a bay that flows into the Gulf here in North Florida. Sometimes it is warmer outside in the sun than it it is in the house. And I think there are still some places here you can find a site that may not be right on the water but very near good fishing and nice beaches. I can think of half dozen parks within 50 miles of here you would probably enjoy. There is a private RV park on the Bay just 2 miles down the road.

Keep the faith and something will work out. It gets crazy busy in some places but still not as bad as our experience in California this summer. Be flexible and keep looking. There is always boondocking in the national forests.....lots public and private RV parks and beautiful springs in Ocala National forest. Take a chance and see parts of Florida others pass by.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
You can probably get the great State Park campgrounds mid-week, if you book now and are lucky. Many commercial campgrounds will also have spots, though not as nice, more expensive. Search for various county campgrounds, many of which are on a first-come basis, no reservations. The best strategy is to find campgrounds at your favorite destinations, and then search for the best to fill in the trip.

I'm an organizer for Florida Paddlers and Trekkers, and some of our camp spots are reserved 11 months in advance through ReserveAmerica! You Yankees can't just stroll in here whenever you'd like!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:08 PM   #21
AlamoRunner

2012 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
We go to the Florida panhandle near Destin for a week every year in Aug or Sept. We have stayed several times at Topsail Hill where you can get "pond" front spots, then walk, bike or tram to the beach. Be careful if the wind is not coming from offshore though as the flies will eat you alive if they aren't kept back in the foliage by the wind.

St George SP near Panama City will get you bayfront spots.

If you want to be on the beach as in gulf front then Camp Gulf in Destin has 16 spots that are actually on the white sand beach 100 ft from the water. We have a 23 Flying Cloud and always get site 815 which is the east end and then you don't have another RV right out your front door. There is a size limit for that spot due to just getting into it but depending on your TV you might be able to make it work with a 28. It is pricey but there is something about stepping out your door and being just a few steps from that crystal blue water.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 09-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
[QUOTE=AWCHIEF;1856168]Susan, Welcome. Florida has quite a large coast line on the Gulf side. You did not say what area you are interested in. The northern Panhandle can get cold and wet during the winter. My favorite part of Florida next to the lower Keys is around Cedar Key. I have stayed at the Sunset Key campground several times. It is an excellant little mom and pop operation with some long term resident characters and is popular with snow birds. Ceder Key is a lot like Key West was 30 years ago. It is one of the few places left where you can get truly fresh seafood right off the boats.[/QUOTE
Cedar key was hit hard by the hurricane. Might want to call ahead. They rebuild really fast but were flooded. I think the cg is sunset isle cg and yes it is a nice place.
Old 09-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
[QUOTE=avionstream;1856219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Susan, Welcome. Florida has quite a large coast line on the Gulf side. You did not say what area you are interested in. The northern Panhandle can get cold and wet during the winter. My favorite part of Florida next to the lower Keys is around Cedar Key. I have stayed at the Sunset Key campground several times. It is an excellant little mom and pop operation with some long term resident characters and is popular with snow birds. Ceder Key is a lot like Key West was 30 years ago. It is one of the few places left where you can get truly fresh seafood right off the boats.[/QUOTE
Cedar key was hit hard by the hurricane. Might want to call ahead. They rebuild really fast but were flooded. I think the cg is sunset isle cg and yes it is a nice place.
Brain fart, you are right on the campground name. Had too many keys on the brain. Usually when I end up down there it is an impulse trip. It will be a few months at least before I make it down that way again. Maybe after Canopener if the weather permits.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
Florida Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I'd check around Naples, ft Myers in January. It's a long coast line.
I live in Naples, and I agree you are likely way too late to find something there...and there aren't any spots near the beach that I know of.
One word of caution for anyone looking to camp in Naples. Check locations carefully. One campground (sorry I don't know the name) is located on Airport-pulling Rd....and it literally adjoins the Naples Airport. Campers there have jets taking off and landing right over their head. Would be a deal-breaker for me.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
For short-term tourists who stay in a campsite for only a few days to a week, is it equally difficult to find a campsite?

Specifically, are reservations during snowbird season also required for short stays; or are a few first-come-first-serve sites still available?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Reservations.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I highly recommend Fort Desoto. It is a great campground with awesome beach area load of bike and walk trails and fishing in the bay, and the canals in the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach 040.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	272305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ft Desoto.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	272306  

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
You could try Sarasota Bay RV park. Right on the intracoastal (you can fish from the sea wall) and an easy bike ride across the bridge to Anna Maria Islands beautiful beaches.
Regular sites are likely booked, but they have overflow sites, ask for one on the 'canal'. Nicest sites in the park! Overflow doesn't have sewer but there is a dump station.
They have a website so you can check it out online. Beautiful park. Friendly people.