Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Morris , Illinois
Newbie looking at 2000 model year

I'm looking at a 2000 Excella. It appears to be in very nice condition. It has had several things replaced. I'm wondering if they signify potential problem areas that might have been dealt with. Of course some of them might just be that the present owner wanted to personalize it.

Here is what is new:
factory style vinyl floor instead of carpeting
"brighter fabric on the walls"
new toilet (but still plastic)
new chrome belt molding, upper and lower

There are also new mattresses and comforters but I'm assuming those are just the owner freshening it up.

Speaking of which, the owner has gone to great lengths to stress that the trailer is odor free and smells great. It could be a personal pride thing to him but it sort of sets off yellow flags for me. Are smells a problem in AS trailers? Because several of the new items sort of go along with that theme: wall fabric, flooring, mattresses....

Does this list of improvements suggest any caution for a buyer?

Also, what else might be quality issues on a 2000?

Thanks!
DonAndTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

D & T

Here's what the "new stuff" MIGHT say...

Possible leaks.... causing floor, wall covering and belt molding replacement's. Stressing no odor=no mold.

Not a real concern if the repairs were done correctly, ask questions and inspect closely....then again maybe not.

Have had some leaks on our 03 Classic, it does happen over time.
You can use the search function in the blue bar above for more info....here's a starter.

Good Luck!!

Bob
Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Morris , Illinois
Bob,

Thanks very much! That leak thread made some things we saw, and were told, throw up a big flag. For instance, there is new, but different, floor covering in that compartment above the bumper. It is a wood flooring look, like Pergo laminate or something similar. That can't be stock?

I've had to fix some leaks in our SOB trailer, so I know I don't want to take on another one. Maybe it didn't happen in this AS, but at least I have something to go on. Now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll do some more searching here so we can decide how to proceed.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
D & T

This is what our rear "trunk" looked like after I removed the carpet. Had the same problem with both rear storage compartments. Why AS see's fit to cover them with carpet is beyond me.
Ended up sealing the belt molding around the entire rear of the trailer, especially above the bumper and between the storage door hinge and molding, also both rear taillamp housing's.

Forth pic shows what I used to replace the carpet..it can breathe....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07523.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	140043   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07532.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	140044  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07518.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	140045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07563.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	140046  

Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
The SilverSleeper

2001 28' Excella
2005 25' Classic
1988 23' Excella
Daphne , Alabama
If this is the 28 on eBay ask about the main awning, it shows a street side not a curb side,or main in the pictures. This is the 2nd time it has been on ebay.the first showed a wood floor the second looks like carpet or some other material.
Beaubill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Morris , Illinois
I called the seller and asked. He said the floor had gotten wet under one of the twin beds. The lower trim strip was the culprit.

He said it is plywood (not OSB), and he dried it out. Then he replaced the carpeting with vinyl. And of course sealed the trim strip. I could go look at it and poke around everywhere looking for soft wood etc. I've been reading other threads and am getting discouraged, though. I didn't realize that AS's leaked. I figured their design was waterproof. So I'll have to sleep on it as far as what to do next.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
D & T

Don't want you to suffer from pre-mature consternation.
Leaks can be cured, and all Streams don't suffer the malady to the same degree.

Look at the big picture, if the leaks have been fixed properly it may not be a deal breaker.

The reason I used the modular flooring on the leak repair is that it can be easily removed for inspection. If the vinyl has been permanently secured it could make that more difficult.

Bob
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
DonAndTerry: Look at it. If it's looks nice and has been cared for, buy it! Yours will be one year newer than ours and we LOVE our rolling home. Has there been some repair work needed? Of course, it's 12 years old. Like any home, upkeep is a given. Have we enjoyed pulling and camping? You Bet! About 18,000 miles since this Spring; 20 states and one province; been coast-to-coast. you CAN afford it. Join the AS family and this forum, a wealth of knowledge and support.

From another newbie.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote