Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Newbie help needed with AS storage options

Hello All,
These forumns have been a great source of info. My wife and I have been dreaming of an AS sport 16 for a few years. There is a chance we may be in a position to purchase one very soon. One of the biggest concerns and hang ups that has bothered us is where to store it. We live in South Mpls and the lots are small and very urban. We have an alley driveway that the sport would fit in but it will be very exposed. No structural cover and open to alley traffic. I have looked into off sight storage but uncovered is fairly expensive and we hate the idea of it being out of our sight. I know it's silly but paying so much for a beautiful trailer and then storing out of sight is almost not an option for us. Just wondering if anybody has come up with any out of the box ideas for storage?

Thanks,
fishbisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Newbie help needed with AS storage options

For what it is worth I don’t have the option of storing at my house. I store my trailer under cover at a higher end storage facility about 15 minutes from my house. It’s very secure, on site staff, has dump station, fresh water, good lighting, good shelter for the trailer, fingerprint access. I’m not concerned with security there in the least.

There are a lot of high end coaches there and probably 5-10 other Airstreams.

Cost is $150 / month - works for me. Covered storage is key for me to avoid hail damage from the occasional hail storm in the spring and summer... and direct sun wear and tear on the roof seals.

They have indoor RV storage too for something like $250/Mo - allows owners to back their unit into their own tall/wide garage and lock it up.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Yea I have a feeling we are going to be looking at off site storage. Was hoping maybe somebody had a totally out of the box solution. What are people's thoughts on outside storage over a MN Winter?
fishbisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
If your zoning allows it you could put a shed in your back yard big enough to back in your AS. If that isn’t allowed then my vote would be for off-site covered storage.
I have no clue what percentage of Airstream owners have on-site storage but I would venture to say that a lot of owners don’t have the option of having their AS at their house, Many do not have covered storage and leave them outside but of course that brings on the issues of dealing with Mother Nature. If you can find a place that has covered storage that would be my first choice.
Before you bring your new baby home you might want to make sure the zoning, HOA, etc. rules allows it. Many HOA will not allow you to park your boat or camper or toy hauler at your house. I am sure you have already looked into all that.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to Air Forums. We used to live in Minnesota just west of the twin cities. Our 86 Limited spend about 28 years of its 33 year life stored outside in Minnesota.

Airstreams can take it, especially the late model ones with much better coating on the aluminum. Our trailer clear coat weathered off eventually and I ended up stripping it and polishing the trailer. Leaks are always a problem and a good moisture meter survey of the interior is needed. I had trouble with mice too.

Many folks who live in cities must rent an RV storage space. Hopefully you can find one fairly close by that might allow you room to work around your trailer. And one that offers some security.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0511 Outside (door side) (Small).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	314102  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
2018 27' International
carbondale , Colorado
I have the same thoughts as OP. Anyone with experience with portable sheds, etc. that can stand up and also not scratch the AS. Thanks.
capt_ron777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
I have room at my styks&bryks for my airstream, but rather have it stored off sight.

The facility I use provides 24 hr video surveillance, on site human security person who also valets the trailer in and out of its spot, locked gate, barbed wire fence around the property, paved and relatively level ground and it's within 10-15 from my home. I pay $80 & change per month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_133439.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	314199  
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi capt'n:

I have a friend here that has a "Rino Shed" or something like that. It is a hoop building covered in tough white fabric. I think the building is about 12 wide, 30' long and has a 12' door that zips and unzips for access. The building came in a kit and he with others erected it themselves. He stores his class B motorhome in it. It has given about 10 years of good service to him.

You might research fabric covered "hoop" buildings (like Quonset) as a possibility for your Airstream storage.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote