Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia

Good morning,

Hope you all had a nice Christmas.

Thinking about retirement. And considering the purchase of an Airstream so that my wife and I can spend a year or so wandering around the country visiting family and just kind of hanging out. We are experienced travelers, although most of it has been to overseas locations. Time to see the USA! I've been looking at the Flying Cloud as best option for us (new, likely, but used possible). I suspect that we'd also have to purchase a vehicle more powerful than our current Ford Escape to haul this baby around.

Other than that, I intend to spend the next few months trying to figure out through this forum as to whether this is a good idea. So, look forward to meeting the peoples of this community.

JackKerouac

Old 12-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome JackKerouac - congrats on retiring.

Interestingly enough, you posted in the Airstream Motorhome forum which could be another option (one fully integrated vehicle with its own drivetrain - no trailering required unless you want to pull a small car for trips at your locations).

If you go trailer/truck combo brand new, you could expect to pay about $100k and more. Used would be a whole 'nother range with lots of x-factors to consider.

There is a ton of info here - hopefully it can help with your decision.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks. Learned something new already - be sure I'm posting in right space! Yeah, I figured that going new would put us around the 100K mark. I will now see about posting this in the correct forum...
Old 12-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Good luck!! Any idea on desired length? Now you get to obsess the decisions of Tow vehicle choice and such things - good luck in your search

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi again JackKerouac! :-)

My wife and I LOVE our 27 front bedroom flying cloud. We bought new last year and having the 2 year warranty is a nice peace of mind option.

It's just us and our 70# bloodhound and an occasional guest. Perfect size for us.

I have no experience out west. I hear some national parks limit the size of trailer but some here have not run on to that problem.

Very envious of your retirement opportunity! Love your plan. What questions do you have about size, layout, options, etc?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As you look at the new trailers, the fully optioned Flying Cloud and International models that are 31' long can top $100,000 for a list price. The Classic start at $93,000+ and can also top that number. To that one adds the acquisition costs of a suitable towing vehicle.

The new Bambi models can be in the $60,000 class.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I had no idea - Bambi 60k whew

Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you are planning to travel for a year or so, I might suggest you avoid buying a new unit and taking all that depreciation. There are lots of used units out there. We had no idea if we would enjoy the RV lifestyle so we bought a 25-year-old 31 foot trailer. Turns out we really do like the lifestyle (we half time). Every time I'm tempted to buy a newer trailer I realize that this one is paid for, watertight and tows like a dream.

I think you have the right product in mind the only choices are new, used, motorhome or trailer.

You're in the right place to learn the answers to all these questions.

Aluminitis -- once you've caught it only shiny will do!

Mike
Old 12-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
There are so many beautiful places to see and things to do in this country? Having the freedom and flexibility of a trailer makes visiting them more rewarding IMO. My husband and I hope to retire this year but we've been traveling around the country on vacations etc already to get a taste of what awaits us. Don't know if this is possible for you or not but maybe you can get some miles under your belt before you retire.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
There are so many beautiful places to see and things to do in this country? Having the freedom and flexibility of a trailer makes visiting them more rewarding IMO. My husband and I hope to retire this year but we've been traveling around the country on vacations etc already to get a taste of what awaits us. Don't know if this is possible for you or not but maybe you can get some miles under your belt before you retire.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
West Dummerston , Vermont
We are going through the same process ourselves right now so I can appreciate what you are into. For sure you have come to the right spot- both to investigate and ask questions. We thought we knew what we wanted in a trailer, however in a month of research that has all changed. Biggest thing we have found is "how it is going to be used". In our case we plan on becoming snow birds and actually living in it for 5-6 months of the year. So, where we were initially looking at 19-23' trailer we are now looking at 25'. Right now looking for fairly late model used but may buy new. Anyways, good luck in your process and if I can be of any help please let me know.
2008 Triton TR186
ricks-vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Wow! Never thought I'd get so many kind and thoughtful replies in such short order. We really are at the beginning of this. I've looked at a few models on line, including floor plans, and it seemed to me that the Flying Cloud is about the right size. Larger models like the International have an appeal but I imagine harder to manuever and operate, not to mention the cost. As an aside, I am not a "joe handyman" type of guy, so the idea of going new, with a warranty in place, is attractive. Of course, the 60+K or more price even for the Flying Cloud is nothing to sneeze at - and I imagine that's pretty bare bones w/o much in the way of options/extras - but peace of mind is worth something. If the right used model popped up, I wouldn't be opposed, however.

It'll just be the two of us (no pets) although I suspect our two adult kids might join now and again. I sort of envision us taking it out West first, spending a few days at various in-laws (keeping mind the old maxim that guests are like fish, after three days they start to stink) and then doing a month in a place where we might consider living after our year-long hegira.

As I mentioned, my wife and I are seasoned travelers, having spent the last 27 years in the U.S. Foreign Service. We understand, however, that living in Chile (for example) in a home for three years is different from 2-3 months at a time in the relatively cramped quarters of a modestly appointed Airstream. (My wife (of 33+ years) chuckled when I showed her the floor plan and photos of a Flying Cloud, including the wardrobe space. "Hope you like my black sweats," she remarked.)

As a first question, what kind of vehicle would I need to tow a Flying Cloud?

Cheers,

JackKerouac
Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Different lengths available of these models you speak of - "flying cloud" line has a bunch of different lengths...

You all will benefit from spending some time in these units of differing length and decide what length you want - all kinds of compromises either way

Tow vehicle depends on length and weight of tow vehicle

Old 12-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackKerouac View Post
As a first question, what kind of vehicle would I need to tow a Flying Cloud?

Cheers,

JackKerouac
That, like everything else, depends.

There are people out there towing successfully with passenger cars. We tow with a Honda minivan. Others would not feel comfortable with anything less than a truck, and even there there's spirited discussions about the pros and cons of 1500 vs. 2500, diesel vs. gas.

In a nutshell, the more you plan on carrying in the vehicle, the more load carrying capacity you'll need. If you plan on spending much time in the mountains, a diesel engine is nice to have. If you're travelling light then a smaller vehicle will do.

What's really important is a good towing setup, a decent hitch and a good WD system.