Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Go ahead and git you that new shiny silver trailer- you are not promised retirement-
We used to say we would wait until retirement, but we decided to get a trailer and enjoy it now-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - you are lucky being "that close" to colonial - can browse all lengths and styles and they are excellent by all accounts! (I did not by from them - 14 hour drive and dealer closer is good).

Check me out - decide on length and layout (front bedroom - rear bedroom - etc) -

Tow vehicle - yeah - whole other thread - first figure out the weight of passengers + tongue weight of trailer + all other contents added in truck - and take that weight (ie payload) and make sure tow vehicle can handle that weight

Go to colonial soon and tell us what you think

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
With the exception of the Flying Cloud Bunkhouse and Flying Cloud 20' models, both the Flying Cloud and International trim lines have identical floor plans. The Eddie Bauer models basically have the floor plans of the 25FB and 27FB models included in the above trim lines with the addition of a rear door for loading stuff and collapsing furniture to create the storage area. The Classic 27FB has a nearly identical floor plan to the other two trim line 27FB models with the addition of a ZipDee chair storage by the door instead of a large bulky cushion.

The two Classic 31' models have unique floor plans as contrasted to the Flying Cloud and International 31' models.

One can visualize these Airsteam trim lines using the trim lines at Ford:

Ford > Mercury > Lincoln

Flying Cloud > International > Classic

The cars share the same basic components, but the finished vehicle has different appearance based upon the interior colors and options selected.

In case you do not have this reference material, here is a download link for the 2014 Airstream Catalog. Colonial Airstream's website reflects the largest stocking inventory at any single dealership outlet in the USA.

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Jack, that .pdf posted above by switz is a great intro for your "mind" hunt for your trailer. Wish I had seen that when we started looking. We are in S. TX and did not have a lot of stock to look at when we were deciding on model we wanted. Advice to go to Colonial by everyone here is real good, and do plan on spending a day. One thing I bet you already realize is that Airstream owners all love their trailers and will talk all day if asked for advice. You will be joining a great bunch of people who love to share ideas and experience.
My opinion, if you are planning on trading for a new TV ( tow vehicle) anyway, pick the size trailer you want, with that trailer, add a weight of the most gear you would ever carry on your trips and chose your TV with that total weight in mind--tons of posts here on tow vehicles--too many actually. Just decide if you want big and powerful or smaller and more nimble. Just work the weight numbers to be sure your tow is a safe one, put a good WD (weight distribution) hitch between you and your Airstream, and you're off.
If you decide to go new, there are some good threads here that will help with your $$ negotiations.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Plan to be at Colonial several days as you really need several hours sitting in each model to get the butt feel, try and look where the television is as contrasted to the seating arrangements, lie on the beds and sit up to see if your hit your head. Look at the twin bed models as well as the queen bed models. Twin beds offer more overhead storage and hanging space than some of the queen bed models.

Seat on the best seat in the house and see if it just tall enough and there is enough room to maneuver. Some models have taller toilets and more space around that device for knees and elbows.

Consider who is camping. Two people alone, with kids/grandkids, or another couple. Would private space be needed?

Do you want both a microwave and a gas oven? Do you want a convection/microwave oven? Do you want solar power system or a power inverter to generate a small amount of AC power off of the batteries? Remember that the gas oven works when there is no electricity whereas the microwaves require lots of AC power for cooking more than a cup of water for coffee which the three gas burners cooktop will do quickly as well.

You can wear out a lot of pencils during the search phase and save the pen for the contract at the end of the yellow brick road.

The decision making process is a great experience to renew the knowledge of your partner on their likes and dislikes as this is a small space after the contract is signed. Everyone wants to be on the same page.

If my wife had relented to my initial request for the purchase of the 27FB International Serenity vs the 25FB International Serenity we actually bought, we would not be now getting a 31' foot Classic model 30 for lots more expense.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The research is part of the fun - and there is plenty of it and plenty written on this forum....

Good luck

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #27
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
As a relatively new Flying Cloud owner, we went through much the same process as you are in deciding what to decide on..... As you have already noticed, this forum is SO valuable, and others' experiences help so much. I read and read and read on here before we bought, and now even more! Enjoy the hunt, and remember that there may be no "totally" perfect coach or tow vehicle for every situation. Get as close as you can and get on the road!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks, Switz/ShinyPete/Howard: I intend to go up to Colonial at end of this month and spend all day Saturday checking them out. Will report afterwards!
JackKerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Hopefully it will be warmer!

It will warm up to -15 degrees F here at Jackson Center today. I will not kiss the Airstream if it is outside.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
In case you do not have this reference material, here is a download link for the 2014 Airstream Catalog.
http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf
Switz: Isn't the 27FB International Serenity pictures in this catalog actually the 30' floor plan?

Roadtech
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The 2014 Airstream Factory Catalog hard copy photos on pages 18 & 19 are labeled 28 International Serenity ...... The photo of the queen bed on page 18 could be the 27FB International model but the galley and the photo on page 19 are obviously the 30 International Serenity.

The 2014 Airstream Factory Catalog downloadable copy photos on pages 18 & 19 are labeled 27FB International Serenity ...... The photo of the queen bed on page 18 could be the 27FB International model but the galley and the photo on page 19 are obviously the 30 International Serenity.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
We it sounds like we have lots in common. Or looked at a few of the same things. I just retired 3 years ago. I had an RV years ago but always wanted the best. That would be my very own airstream. Knowing it would happen one day I started with the truck. I wanted something I could count on and know it would pull anything I placed behind her. Well that turned out to be a 2013 Ford F250 diesel. She is a black beauty and loaded. This year in march I got a new 2014 FC 25 with twin beds and just love it. The rig sure turns lots of heads when I hit the road. Been out in her a few times and really enjoyed it. Planning a long trip now.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:20 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Annandale , Virginia
Thanks for the feedback. My wife and I plan to visit an Airstream park in southern VA (down near Roanoke) around Labor Day weekend and get a sense of the community, etc. She continues to waver about committing to this little project, so we'll see...
JackKerouac is offline   Reply With Quote