Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Yea, whats up with the door opening into the awning arm? There must be some kind of door stop so it won't open past 90 degrees. It looks pretty nice though. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.
While we don't have a ZipDee awning, I know some of the older ones have detachable arms that can be pulled out from the trailer and staked to the ground. I'm not sure if these are still available, however I have seen them, they're pretty cool. It's just a little easy release clip (similar to the ones found on our hitch/equalizer/weight distribution bars) that frees the arm from the trailer body.

Maybe ZipDee is offering this option again (or still?). It's an option we too would want if we did have a ZipDee because our door would only open 90-degrees without being able to detach the arm.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs up Good Catch

Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Looked more closely....very small closet, says it has the Safari Upgrade Pkg which is suppose to have the electric hitch jack, but the one in the pic has a manual. It does have the cast rear tail lights which is part of the package. Also thinking that the rear window is gonna need an awning
Ya got some sharp eyes...
I agree abt the rear window needing a awning but, I wonder if it's more of an issue of the window type not lending itself to that option?
I add my vote to the count for return of "Classic/CCD" type windows on all models.
Another note:
I'd like to see the outside steps return to the "Classic" design as well.
Other than that, the new designs concepts coming out of JC is refreshing~and the turn around of interior layout is WELCOME'D..
If you're willing to pay for it..You should be able to ask for a layout that's "more personal" to your needs and lifestyle..
Airstream owners are not to be "cookie cutter" molded..

WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #31
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I asked to get the rear window "CCD" style for the Safari rear window only when I ordered it, the factory told me that the window frames are totally different and that if I wanted the windows I'd need to buy a CCD or Classic. The fact that they are different frames makes total sense, but was bummed that even for additional cost (pre-construction mind you) that they wouldn't do that. I wasn't asking for the wrap around windows either, just the small same sized rear window that was back there.

The rear window shade should be possible and if not, they should engineer it since the angle of the wall would lead to the sun driving right in on the dinette area. Typically, you'll find alum supports on either end of windows. Take a look at and you'll see some coaches being built. As a matter of fact on page 2 there is a Classic in production and you can see some inner structual supports around that back window (which is a similar size to the Safari's main window).

Anyway, the on the line comment about special orders seems kind of true (adding windows, or other major off the menu type items), particularly if you see things like "Safari Upgrade Package" and some of the components are missing. This is actually the second time I've seen the power jack missing on a Safari labeled Safari Upgrade Package. About 1 year ago, I was looking at Colonial Airstream's site and pointed out to them via email the same thing.....their response was that they had planned on adding it themselves a bit later and also that they were kind of caught off guard that someone was calling them on it. They also did admit that the jack was missing for some known reason, but asked if I was interested in purchasing it.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Yea, whats up with the door opening into the awning arm? There must be some kind of door stop so it won't open past 90 degrees. It looks pretty nice though. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.
If you compare the image in page one of this thread with the door open and the image of the door closed in the link to the dealer, I am going to be very interested to see how well the rear door is liked in the field.
72 Sovereign: L couch, mid-twin, rear-bath
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it"
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #33
Aluminum Condo III
2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
New Model Update

Was at Can-Am on Saturday and spoke to Andy about the AC/DC CCD he has listed on his site. Evidently the lead vocalist for the band AC/DC had a custom Airstream built which had the aluminum walls of the CCD, but the furniture from a Safari. Airstream liked the idea and are marketing it, but not using the AC/DC nor the CCD name. Andy thought it was going to be called the Safari Special Edition or something close. Andy also indicated that it would have the CCD windows and not the Safari windows. He hopes to have it in by the time of our WBCCI Mid-Winter Dinner on January 29th. I will definitely check it out - maybe even take pictures.
Malcolm & Randy
WBCCI # 12523
kamadeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 AM   #34
I have to agree with the comment about the Safari windows. They make the whole package look cheap.