Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Maybe the AS management will read this and find out that I think the orange
cabinet doors are not my cup of tea.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Life
We saw the "half CCD" Airstream you are talking about at the RV Industry Association show in Louisville KY last December.

It is called a "Safari Special" and it is basically a regular Safari with CCD aluminum interior walls. It's a nice cross between the very urbane, (some would say "cold") CCD interior and the more traditional Safari fabrics and cabinetry. It is very cool! I would buy one in a heartbeat if I were looking today.

I have also been told that George M Sutton RV has ordered some of these. See picture. Sorry it's so dark -- the walls really are aluminum although they don't look it in this picture.

We live only 40 miles from George M. Sutton RV dealership.....I'll make a point to check 'em out and take some more pics when they arrive (since we are still interested in upgrading to a 25-28' CCD). We still like the aluminum inside...and are hanging some small quilts she's made on the walls to add to the ambiance. My wife commented that when we're on the road and you really have to go (she is sold on traveling with our own potty)......you would have to walk back further to get to the rear curbside door .....so you can't please everyone!!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Tell her to make you stop and pull over before she needs to go that bad

I think most women can agree that having your own private bathroom being towed behind you is one of the number one pluses of RVing!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Tell her to make you stop and pull over before she needs to go that bad

I think most women can agree that having your own private bathroom being towed behind you is one of the number one pluses of RVing!

I Agree!!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
It'd be nice if Airstream simply dropped those lame Safari windows and gave them either the windows that the Classic has or the CCD since they are dimentionally very similar in size (but different framing from what I've been told), even if it were at additional cost. It'd be worth it IMHO.
The reason the Safari has different windows is two fold: 1) weight, the Classic style windows weigh alot more; 2) cost, the Safari is Airstream's entry level model. In addition to the windows, cost and weight are kept down with the cabinet construction and other items.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 06:26 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I'd almost buy that answer, except for the simple fact that all the coaches are darn near identical in the early stages of construction basically. My request was for the CCD windows or the Classic windows. The CCDs just slightly different than the Classics. Moreover, the 25' CCD is darn near exactly the same weight as the standard 25' Safari C, so the question really doesn't appear to be weight. Which still begs the question....if Airstream is willing to build an in between model, why not add the windows as an upcharge. Not the full price difference of the CCD, but not as inexpensive as the standard Safari line. There are a bunch of us folks that like the CCD, but don't like the interior furnishings. It's kind of a best of both worlds type thing. I think the biggest issue with doing it is how to accomidate it on the line. As it is now I can see how confused someone might be the way the line works at assembly....adding more variables only increases quality concerns, particularly during high volume times....but that's just a guess.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Front bedroom

My previous A/S was a 22' International AS with front bedroom and wraparound front windows. I never found that the front bedroom was undesirable in any way; there were no more problems with headlights or noise than my current rear bedroom.

I found the front bed with wraparound windows was a wonderful place to read while watching the bworld go by.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The reason the Safari has different windows is two fold: 1) weight, the Classic style windows weigh alot more; 2) cost, the Safari is Airstream's entry level model. In addition to the windows, cost and weight are kept down with the cabinet construction and other items.
This was the explanation that more than one Airstream dealer has told me for the difference in the windows. I haven't compaired the weight charts and the ammenities of the CCD vs. the Safari.

My guess is that the cost is probably more the issue than the weight. However, I don't know how much difference in cost there could be since there aren't that many windows around the perimeter. I would think the wrap around window would be the big ticket item.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Yea, whats up with the door opening into the awning arm? There must be some kind of door stop so it won't open past 90 degrees. It looks pretty nice though. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.
While we don't have a ZipDee awning, I know some of the older ones have detachable arms that can be pulled out from the trailer and staked to the ground. I'm not sure if these are still available, however I have seen them, they're pretty cool. It's just a little easy release clip (similar to the ones found on our hitch/equalizer/weight distribution bars) that frees the arm from the trailer body.

Maybe ZipDee is offering this option again (or still?). It's an option we too would want if we did have a ZipDee because our door would only open 90-degrees without being able to detach the arm.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Good Catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Looked more closely....very small closet, says it has the Safari Upgrade Pkg which is suppose to have the electric hitch jack, but the one in the pic has a manual. It does have the cast rear tail lights which is part of the package. Also thinking that the rear window is gonna need an awning
Silvertwinkie,
Ya got some sharp eyes...
I agree abt the rear window needing a awning but, I wonder if it's more of an issue of the window type not lending itself to that option?
I add my vote to the count for return of "Classic/CCD" type windows on all models.
Another note:
I'd like to see the outside steps return to the "Classic" design as well.
Other than that, the new designs concepts coming out of JC is refreshing~and the turn around of interior layout is WELCOME'D..
IT'S ABOUT TIME~
If you're willing to pay for it..You should be able to ask for a layout that's "more personal" to your needs and lifestyle..
Airstream owners are not to be "cookie cutter" molded..

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 06:32 AM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I asked to get the rear window "CCD" style for the Safari rear window only when I ordered it, the factory told me that the window frames are totally different and that if I wanted the windows I'd need to buy a CCD or Classic. The fact that they are different frames makes total sense, but was bummed that even for additional cost (pre-construction mind you) that they wouldn't do that. I wasn't asking for the wrap around windows either, just the small same sized rear window that was back there.

The rear window shade should be possible and if not, they should engineer it since the angle of the wall would lead to the sun driving right in on the dinette area. Typically, you'll find alum supports on either end of windows. Take a look at www.silvertwinkie.org and you'll see some coaches being built. As a matter of fact on page 2 there is a Classic in production and you can see some inner structual supports around that back window (which is a similar size to the Safari's main window).

Anyway, the on the line comment about special orders seems kind of true (adding windows, or other major off the menu type items), particularly if you see things like "Safari Upgrade Package" and some of the components are missing. This is actually the second time I've seen the power jack missing on a Safari labeled Safari Upgrade Package. About 1 year ago, I was looking at Colonial Airstream's site and pointed out to them via email the same thing.....their response was that they had planned on adding it themselves a bit later and also that they were kind of caught off guard that someone was calling them on it. They also did admit that the jack was missing for some known reason, but asked if I was interested in purchasing it.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:29 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
Yea, whats up with the door opening into the awning arm? There must be some kind of door stop so it won't open past 90 degrees. It looks pretty nice though. I wonder what else they have up their sleeves.
If you compare the image in page one of this thread with the door open and the image of the door closed in the link to the dealer, I am going to be very interested to see how well the rear door is liked in the field.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:16 AM   #33
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
New Model Update

Was at Can-Am on Saturday and spoke to Andy about the AC/DC CCD he has listed on his site. Evidently the lead vocalist for the band AC/DC had a custom Airstream built which had the aluminum walls of the CCD, but the furniture from a Safari. Airstream liked the idea and are marketing it, but not using the AC/DC nor the CCD name. Andy thought it was going to be called the Safari Special Edition or something close. Andy also indicated that it would have the CCD windows and not the Safari windows. He hopes to have it in by the time of our WBCCI Mid-Winter Dinner on January 29th. I will definitely check it out - maybe even take pictures.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:35 AM   #34
Craftsman

I have to agree with the comment about the Safari windows. They make the whole package look cheap.