Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Gatineau , Quebec
Need help, 23' or 25' ?

hey! I am looking for changing my 5wheel for a brand new airstream. I am wondering if i should choose a 25fb or a 23fb?? We are a couple with 2 teens but the teens come rarely with us - Also i am a little bit worried about the insulation vs hot summer. Do you thing new models are better related to insulation ? Thank for your help
ameliepat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Not to be flippant, but there are thousands of threads on this site that go through the differences of all Airstreams the good the bad the ugly. What you're asking could be answered by saying "B." Very very subjective. Please look around a little. Or google Airstream differences, then come back and ask more precise questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Welcome, go with the largest you can comfortable afford and the appropriate tow vehicle to go with it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You need to go see the trailers. I agree, the larger the better so I would suggest a 25. As far as insulation goes, I don't think the newer models are any better but.......the AC on the 2015 and above are now ducted which means they are quieter and more efficient. If you are worried about the cold, the furnaces in these things work pretty well.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Welcome. I agree with AWCHIEF, you're probably going to want the largest one you can comfortably afford. An extra couple of feet makes a huge difference. Go hang out in a few models at the dealer for a while and you're likely to answer your own question.

Where are you planning on camping? If it's so hot the AC can't keep up, then it's too hot to go outside. At that point, why are you even camping? I can sit around and watch TV at home. Go somewhere cooler.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 02:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliepat2 View Post
hey! I am looking for changing my 5wheel for a brand new airstream. I am wondering if i should choose a 25fb or a 23fb?? We are a couple with 2 teens but the teens come rarely with us - Also i am a little bit worried about the insulation vs hot summer. Do you thing new models are better related to insulation ? Thank for your help

Hey and welcome! 😀

There's no simple answer to your question because there are so many factors to consider. Some questions that might help zero in on a good choice for you include:

Why do you want to get rid of the 5th wheeler?

What kind of camping do you do?

How often are you able to camp and for what duration?

If close to "full timing" are you able to (and do you want to) "chase 72 degrees Fahrenheit"?

You're right to be worried about hot temps (and extreme cold temps) as the aluminum is a good conductor of heat and cold - insulation is ok, but thin and in really hot conditions, the AC is usually only good for reducing temps about 20deg.F from ambient.

Sounds like it would mostly be 2 of you but how often would you want to camp with kids or other guests? Even a 25 could get crowded for long trips with 4, but perhaps carrying a small tent with sleeping bags can cure that challenge.

So - there are a lot of factors to make your decision. As others recommend, you should go to a dealer and hand out in several models, think about your camping lifestyle and see which one speaks to you. Most suggest going with the largest you're able to afford since many start small and then want to add a couple more feet once they get going...

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southeastern , Pennsylvania
We are new to AS and to camping. We were set on the 23 FB from online research. We just returned from the Hershey RV Show where we walked through both the 23 FB and the 25 FB. We also have two kids in college who will on occasion travel with us (but as time goes on probably rarely). It will mostly be the two of us. The 25 FB seemed to us much more useful, comfortable and larger. I know it is only 2 feet and a few inches wider but there is a huge difference. There really is a living area as opposed to simply a dinette and many other differences. As stated above you really must walk through them.

So we have focused on the 25 FB either Int'l Signature or Flying Cloud. We intend to use our 2007 F-150 as a TV which is sufficient for both of them once I add a brake controller.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
Well, if you are looking at on-line photos there is not much difference, however when you compare side by side on the lot, the 25FB is much roomier, a little wider and a little longer means a lot more comfort, especially after a few days on the road. We tried too small and it was a big mistake.
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you thought the 25 was roomier, wait till you spend some time on the 30'...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
If you thought the 25 was roomier, wait till you spend some time on the 30'...
Yep. We were looking at a 30 at the weekend... the extra living space is so nice... But the increase in length is significant to me..
Old 09-29-2016, 07:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, and please forgive the early rudeness.

As others have already suggested, you should spend quality time with 4 adults "in" each model under consideration. 25' is bare minimum for your needs IMO.

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
Yep. We were looking at a 30 at the weekend... the extra living space is so nice... But the increase in length is significant to me..
Well, something to consider. The F150 can tow a 30' Flying Cloud with some minimal weight management to stay within specs. And once you're towing, the extra 5 feet won't make much of a difference. But while staying in it, the difference will be huge, especially coming from a 5th wheeler.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The 25 is more closely related to the larger models without the length, larger wheels, brakes, liquid storage and width. Most notably is a shorter kitchen and bedroom. Be aware the queen bed sits sideways, no problem for us but some have difficulty; the twin beds are a good option.

The 25 is available in front or rear bed configurations, people swear by the one they have until they get the other. It's a matter of views vs practicality for the most part. The 27 and 28 are also front or rear bed models and are virtually the same length (1 inch difference) and both offer a fore/aft queen bed. The 25 - 31 all push the same amount of frontal air, the towing difference is noticed up and down grades. Longer Airstreams tend to be more stable, the axles are farther back. Maneuverability has more to do with tow vehicle wheelbase than trailer length.

We sometimes wish our Airstream was longer when camping, and shorter when parking or fueling the truck. The 25 is a pretty good compromise for living and travel ease. It tows very well behind a half-ton truck or larger SUV which also are comfortable daily drivers.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Well, something to consider. The F150 can tow a 30' Flying Cloud with some minimal weight management to stay within specs. And once you're towing, the extra 5 feet won't make much of a difference. But while staying in it, the difference will be huge, especially coming from a 5th wheeler.
Towing is not the problem, it is parking at the house and some of the campgrounds we currently like going to..

Back on topic:

The bed in a 23 is suboptimal, that corner layout is not a lot of fun.. the extra width of the 25 was the difference maker to me
Old 09-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
All the above views are with merit, but especially Doug Kottum's.

I likely will be the counterpoint. When we started Airstream shopping we started wanting the 22' Sport, but quickly upscaled to the 23D, then settled on the 25' FC. If I had it all to do over, I probably would choose the 23D. Here's why.

As a new person to RVing, the width and length (especially the width) is intimidating. I know the 23D is only a half-foot less width, but that's appealing, as is it being 3' shorter. The 23' is the longest of the narrow (if 8' is narrow) trailers, and the 25' is the shortest of the wide trailers.

Maneuvering in smaller NP campgrounds can be challenging; some even the 25' won't fit (one campground in the Tetons comes to mind).

We insisted on a lounge; the 23D and up have that.

We insisted on double axles--these are really handy if you have to change a tire on the side of the road, and axle weights are less.

Both the 23' and 25' models now have 15" wheels.

The 23D will work well if you aren't thinking of full-timing or protracted overnights. In my opinion, the 25' is the shortest trailer that ought to be considered for full-timing. The 23' black and gray tanks are significantly smaller than the 25'; that's a limiting factor if dry-camping.

And then there's price; the 25' is $10K more, and about a 1,000 pounds heavier, than the 23'.

The deciding event for us was the, as Doug put it, sub-optimal bed in the 23D. If you are both small/light people, it may work. You should both lie down in the 23D bed to be sure you're not making a mistake. We opted for the 25' with twin beds for that reason. There are lots of other reasons to prefer twins that aren't relevant to the current thread.

If your style is to take long, long trips, a larger trailer is persuasive. For long week-ends or even week trips, the 23D is very appealing. For multi-week trips, longer and wider are better. In fact, the 27' is the best of all worlds for long trips with lots of nights in the TT, balanced against ease of towing, maneuvering, parking and storing. If you zero in on the 23D, be sure about the bed; only 48" wide is mighty narrow for two people.

This is such a personal decision, opinions of others matter, but only as suggestions to consider. YOU are the ones who have to live in it. Some thrive in 16' Sports; for others 30' is barely enough. So try to find both sizes and spend some time trying both out at a dealer. It will be invaluable and educational.

Good luck!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We down sized from a 30 to 25 and liked it better for our style of camping (2 of us). We are not full-timers. Next considerations: Front or rear bedroom; queen or twins. We converted from queen to twin and the twin appears to have more room.
mike
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Having been in both also my choice would be the 25 FB. It seems to be the most popular model these days. Just save yourself additional decision making agony, time, and $ and don't venture into a 27 or 30' ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
If you're seriously considering a 25, I would encourage you to spend 5 minutes in a 27 before making your final decision. We found the 27 to be a lot more trailer than the 25, with only a 2 ft increase in length & a 600 lb increase in weight, both of which have so far for us been inconsequential.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We started with a 19' and, in a year, upgraded to a 27'. Just yesterday we were discussing the main reasons. For me, it was the corner bed (which I despised) and the small kitchen (lack of counter space and small, shallow sink).

The 23' with a corner bed was a deal-breaker. The 25' with the sideways bed still had the suboptimal set-up with one person having to climb out. We're quite happy with the 27' and, I have to say, it's been a breeze to tow and park. I used to be quite frustrated with backing the 19' into spaces, but the 27' is actually a lot easier.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

san jose , California
23' if you want a nice view when you use the restroom.

25' if you want a nice view when dining or sleeping depending on configuration.
vis0rd0wn is offline   Reply With Quote