Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Our dilemma had to do with whether or not we would like camping in a trailer. We spent about $7k for the trailer and the assorted other required stuff. We like camping. Our Argosy has all of the modern conveniences - forced air furnace, air conditioner, black & gray water tanks. It weighs about 4k lbs fully loaded. Hope this helps

Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #16
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
East Calais , Vermont
I've been studying up...

Well, I've spent the better part of a few days perusing all the vintage AS sites and have really learned alot about the different models, configurations, and prices. Overall, it seems that a nice condition vintage unit is in the $15-$20K ballpark. I've seen several layouts that are completely different than today's models and I think they look better too.

The issue I keep coming back to is the black, grey and freshwater tank capacities. I would much rather be in a state or national park or boondocking on state or federal lands than in a park and therefore expect to use the AS in places without hookups much of the time.

Can folks give me an honest assessment of whether I can find or retrofit a vintage AS to meet my needs? I understand that the greywater tanks didn't come into being until the early 70's. I do not like the idea of hauling around a blue boy in my truck as I'll have my dog kennels in the rear under a fiberglass topper and will utilize the rest of that space for stowing gear.

I gotta say that the late 60's and early 70's ASs seem to fit the bill in terms of layouts and weights (I think I could tow a 24' tradewind with my Tacoma and easily anything smaller like a Safari or Globetrotter), so how can I make it work?

Becasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
The physical limitations of the size trailer you're considering impose a limit on grey water capacity to say, 20 gallons or less, whether a 70's or a newer model. Depending you your hygienic requirements, if you're staying in one place for awhile, you'll eventually have to dump grey water. It's easier to use a blue-boy than hitching up and moving the trailer to dump. The blue-boys that you can can haul with your tow vehicle are very practical. A 'smallish' 15 gallon full of water weighs over 100#. It's not a glamorous side of trailering, but the blue-boy is a near necessity. We just find room to haul it somewhere in the TV or trailer.
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
AIR #9
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
We had our gal fitted with a new gray tank, not a problem cost 800, as for prices Vintage airstream info tells you exactly what things cost. If you are a handy man you can do many things yourself, if you need a dealer ouch the labor is high.
I think in this economy you can find a rig for under 10000. Good to very good condition.
Then if you put in a few thousand you are great. Our gal is looking good and we are signed up for the Hobo rally in Feb. I like the ideal of free campsites!
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Becasse, Welcome! I have a 63 Tradewind 24', great size not to small and not to large, and will fit in most camp sites with no problem. I use a 18 gal. blue-boy (it's gray) works fine. When it's time to empty i put in on the tow ball and off to the dump station. With proper conservation i/we (2) can get 3 days with no problem, alone i could get over a week. Reguarding towing, I have an 04 Tundra it does ok however it does struggle on hills and i would like another TV in time. I love my "VINTAGE AIRSTREAM" !!! My TW weighs aprox 3300# dry. GOOD LUCK!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1956 22' Caravanner
Malibu , California
We had a tv put in ours, she now has both tanks, and we have laptops we take with us.
When you buy used make sure everything works. We got a great price and knew we would put in 5000 more. Once you are on the road others are sure to be helpful.
Even a not handy person can do a few things. Take a volunteer inspector along with you. DO NOT BUY with the inspector. Vlamica was our inspector and he was wonderful. this is a fabulous forum and you can find an nspector close to where you go look at used trailers. OUr gal is old but not worn and I am sure she will give us many years of pleasure.
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
New or Vintage

Most people have the same questions. We did. Husband wanted NEW and I wanted Vintage. Since we were new to camping we went Vintage.

AND it took us two years of searching to find one in camping condition. It was worth the wait. We have little to do (most was what we wanted for
convenience). Not too many units available in New York State.

We now LOVE campaing and our Globetrotter and would NOT go new.
Antiques are our choice. New, modern look is not for ME. And I think husband (who can fix most things) was thinking of NOT doing much with a NEW unit...just go. Choice is yours. Whatever you decide you will be happy with Argosky or Airstream. And 20 ft has plenty of space for us.
Good luck.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #22

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY

I vote for modern.....

If we had gotten a newer coach first we would most likely still have our

63 Safari.
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
waynesboro , Virginia
Just to add to the discusiion, I tow a 73-25' with a has done fine, I'm not so sure the gray tanks are so great, many places will allow gray water to be released ...2 years ago in Ga the folks at the top of ga airstream park requested the release of gray water due to dry through in selection of the floor plan, depending on your needs some will fit better,,,,enjoy....

waltero is offline   Reply With Quote