Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Question Miscellaneous Questions Unidentified Models

This picture is probably a 70s era Airstream. However it has some interior features different from my 74.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the following?

#1 What is this? Looks like some sort of breaker station or terminal? Not on my 74.

#2 What is this? It appears to be a sliding door inside the magazine rack to access the above mentioned electrical station?
Is this stock? or Custom?

#3 Notice the light shade of these walls in the bedroom. Is there a name for this color option? My 74 has a dark "walnut" finish all areas.
#4 Notice the galley and front shade is the darker "walnut" look. Was it an option to have a mixed color scheme? The refer is also the darker shade of fake woodgrain.

Were there more than the two (light & dark) woodgrain looks offered in the 70's?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS galley 74-76 pourfoulkes.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	5913  
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Jaco,

This looks to be a mid to late 70s model. (I am guessing a 76) I say this because of the overhead tambors. They are curved and white. In the early 70's they were brown and flat. In the mid to late 70's all of the overhead tambors went to white.

In the late 70's (at least in our 77) the walls in the coach were a ivory vinyl walloper on the wood partitions. We had a light interior, not the dark teak, but a whitewash looking oak?? They offered two wood colors, the normal teak and the blond color. There was also a knotty pine in the late 70's and early 80's.

The sliding panel allows access to the fuse panel and the univolt. If this is a 76, and I think it is, the battery box is just aft of the entry door. The univolt was normally located as close to the battery as possible. The sliding panel was designed for access OEM.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Brett,
My 74 Excella has the white overhead Tambour Cabinets in the galley.
Guess we need to hear from someone if they were used prior to 74 now.
The center sleeping compartment has the dark (walnut)/(teak) overheads above the dark drop down space lockers.

I do not believe that I have ever seen (picture or in person) the Knotty Pine wall option that you mentioned.
My battery pocket is beneath my rear bathtub. The univolt next to it also under bath but accessable thru bathroom closet at floor.
I wonder why they moved it? If it was moved behind the door curbside, it would be over the fresh water tank, or did they move that too I wonder?
If not I wonder if battery spillage corosion could eat thru the water tank?

Thanks
jaco
Old 04-12-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
I think 74 was the first year the overheads in the kitchen were white. The rears were still brown on the overheads. In 75 all overheads went white from the research I have done.

Attached is a picture of a 76 Sovereign with the batter door/bin just aft of the door. I would assume this was done to help offset the larger gray water tanks that were being installed. Since the battery box bottom is designed to allow overflow to run out of the trailer I would not be worried it would eat the water tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76Sovereigna.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	5915  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 04-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here is a picture of what I called the Knotty pine look interior. This is a 78 Excella.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	china_cabinet.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	5916  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 04-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Nice look IMHO is that Knotty Pine decor.
I see the overhead Tambour cabs have been replaced with the "china cabinet" as they call it I wont be carrying any china on my travels.
but the cab looks like an improvement.

The 76 Sovereign31 you posted above appears to be a center bath? is that correct?
If so I wonder if the battery slot is still in the rear of the rear bath 76s?

I think the picture I posted above must be a rear bath from the galley then the sleeping compartment positions.

jaco
Old 04-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here is a 76 Excalla with a rear bath. The battery tray is right behind the door, even in this example.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76Excellaa.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	5927  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
moving battery compartment?

Jaco,
Mine is a 1975 (build date 05/29/75) the battery is still at the rear under the shower. Under the stove top is the furnace, water pump and filter. The 12volt fuse block/power board is in the rear with the unitvolt. My overheads in the kitchen are white, the ones in the bedroom (mid twins) are dark brown. My interior is the dark teak looking interior. The picture you posted looks almost like someone mixed and matched parts from a couple of units for some reason.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:47 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Yep Brett that looks to be the case, thanks for the pic.. I'm trying to remember if all 76 Excellas were rear bath models.?? Are you positive that is a rear bath? I can't tell from the picture.The third window going back looks too large for a bath window but I can't see the rear side to see if there is a fourth window which would make it a center bath. But if it was yours' you obviously know.

I know that in 74 the Excella came in both rear and center bath model.(according to owners manual).

I know that in 78 the Excella had the battery slot moved up to the front of the trailer (at least the model shown in the owner's manual). I have the 78 owners manual too.

Interesting factoids.
Would be nice to know the reason for the migrating battery locales.

Hope that WahooNc and DavidZ check in with the locales of their 75 and 77 respectively. I think it is always good to nail down these little variations for the record.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
fwiw: In my 73, the galley overheads were all the same dark walnut finish, as far as I can tell. (tambor was removed, but the bottom of the cabinet and the end cap are there, and are the dark color.).

The battery is in the rear curbside corner, behind the axles. I assume that this helps to offset the rather high tounge weight for this shorter trailer. no grey tank in this year.

one thing I was thinking about the original question and photo in this thread is that this unusual laminate pattern photographs unpredictably...perhaps because of the combination of light and dark colors (?). I don't know..but under different conditions, photos of the same thing look drastically different. It may just be the way the light was reflecting off the surfaces in the background area of the photo. If you look at the photos in my album, the pergo flooring seems to be almost a perfect match for the cabinets...but in reality, it isn't. looks much better in the photos, imo.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote