Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Breckenridge , Colorado
Looking to purchase classic and live in full time

I need some serious direction. We are a family of four and just sold our house in Breckenridge, Colorado. We have decided to look, purchase and live full time in an airstream for the next year. We are totally consumed with the different models and direction we should look. Looking for a larger 28-32 in length. Are there certain models we should look for that are better in the winter? We like the original interiors 70's-early 80's. Any upgrades or system changes we should be aware of? Any and all information and comments would be greatly appreciated. Bret
bonenberger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Welcome to the forums!
I think you have the right idea of larger is better. I am partial to the 34' triple axle. While I am not full timing, I would definitely look at what your needs will be in regards to storage. Even the big ones can get small in a hurry with too much "stuff". In my rig everything has a place and every place has a thing. I tow with an excursion, so I have good storage in the back for bulky items/ odds and ends.
One thing I like about my 34' is the hallway separation between the front and rear bedroom. I have two hall partitions that allow me to close off the back if the little ones are sleeping or napping or the DW needs some privacy. (there is also a large ~5' hall wardrobe closet in the 34'....great storage)
If you find a rear bath model (31' model), pay attention to rear sag. there are several threads on here regarding this condition. If you are camping in the south during the summer, you may want to consider the upgrade to dual A/C's as well. not required, but would make it a little more comfortable in the summer!
Good luck on your search!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would look at the 30-33 footers. Four living in a 28 footer is gonna be tight. None are really made for Colorado winters but if your parked and can wrap insulation around the outside to seal the bottom you may be ok. there are threads here on it.

Try to find something with bunks or build them yourselves. It's a pain taking your bed down all the time. I would also try for a 80's trailer. Might be less work than a 70's one. Either way you will need to do some work, 20 year old trailers will need work to live in with 4 people. There isn't much storage for 4 people. Again it will be tight.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Here is the link to the floor plans in 1982. good for reference! ('82 was the first year of the 34').
http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...1f1e31bbfc.pdf
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No Airstreams are reasonably capable of below freezing full-time living, especially for four people. The greatest problems are poor insulation/inadequate furnace, severe interior condensation (the aluminum shell traps moisture inside), freezing of plumbing.

Or are you planning on traveling south?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Full timing in the winter

People give off a lot of water. A tight Airstream traps it all inside and the poor insulation results with massive condensation on the interior walls and compartments that have exterior doors. The best solution is to hook it up and pull it 1500 miles south. The TV program of 4 people living full time in an Airstream was over dramatized. The did not really do it and did not point out the down falls.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Look at Skatiero's thread on their bunkhouse! it might be interesting to see the solutions and modifications she has utilized!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...use-80288.html
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24