Old 06-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #15

2019 22' Sport
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thank you EVERYONE for your helpful replies to our mattress issue!!!!

WOW! As a "newbie" to trailering, those are some awesome suggestions! Lots of great ideas to explore. I am confident that we will find a solution to this seemingly benign situation and I will not have to be sleep deprived in our "Sporti-the Silver Burrito" too much longer-LOL!
My husband & I truly appreciate the expertise you all have shared. Thank you, thank you, thank you! TO ALL:

firemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
We love our sleep number at home (i8) and in the airstream (r5). Worth every penny. Short radius queen for the airstream. Both sides are independently adjustable for firmness.

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/RV-Beds/p/R5
We did the same in our 30í Serenity. Works so well!

Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We used a Costco memory foam topper in our old "Some Other Brand" trailer as those mattresses were dreadful. It did require a bit of adjustment -I cut it to fit with an electric knife and did some tailoring on the zippered cover, but it made all the difference in the world for sleeping.

Now, our Airstream came with the Tufts & Needle mattress and it is very comfy, I would highly recommend that brand as well (if you can get the right size).
Atwebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #18

1985 25' Sovereign
Red Deer , Alberta
Latex foam does not get hard when cold

As a long time camper I learned latex foam mattresses do not get hard or cold or hot. It may be hard to find a topper. I donít know as I bought a full queen mattress to replace my spring mattress. Iím sure a custom mattress shop would be able to put you on the path to a good latex foam topper.
randylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by randylar View Post
As a long time camper I learned latex foam mattresses do not get hard or cold or hot. It may be hard to find a topper. I donít know as I bought a full queen mattress to replace my spring mattress. Iím sure a custom mattress shop would be able to put you on the path to a good latex foam topper.
We also use at home Amazon and the internet . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemermaid View Post
HI, has anyone dealt with an uncomfortable airstream mattress? My husband & I are brand new to travel trailers. We recently purchased a brand new 2019 Sport 22FB and the mattress is nearly impossible for me to sleep on. Airstream says it is memory foam but it is hard like a rock. I am 67 and my hips, back & legs hurt all night long on that mattress. I cannot get a decent nights rest. Not so on our mattress at home, which is covered with a Tempurpedic mattress topper. We are trying to find a more reasonable mattress topper solution that won't break the bank. (Tempurpedic mattress toppers are not cheap and we would have to cut it up to boot!) Has anyone else dealt with this issue and willing to share solutions? We are looking into a custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper with Quilted Organic Cotton Covertopper from a company called Mattress Insider. Any feedback from any of you out there? Would be so grateful for any thoughts... Thank you!

The problem with RV beds is that there is no box spring. The solution I came up with was to remove the plywood under the mattress and replace it with thin oak strips. I got the idea while in Germany when I noticed that the beds there do not have a box spring. Investigating further I found the thin wooden slats that flex individually and allow your hip and shoulder to sink in deeper for comfort. When I got home I replicated the idea in my Airstream with rear twin beds. I made the slats out of oak and cut them about 5/16" thick and about 2" wide. The slats get shorter as the wall of the trailer curves in. The slats are held in place by weaving narrow web straps between them to keep them uniformly spaced and a couple of screws to keep the assembly from shifting forward or back while driving. That and a foam topper on each bed has made them quite comfortable. One other thing is slats are really not needed at the foot end of the bed since there is no real weight there.
Hope this trick helps you enjoy your new Airstream!
Ed
89Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Mattress Replacement

I am looking for a replacement mattress for our 2005 22 ft front bed trailer. I prefer latex and have found several that could be made with the curved corners or that I could modify to fit in place. The problem is that latex seems very heavy....approx 120# for the required size mattress. Not only is it a concern for hitch weight but also for this human to pick it up to apply the mattress pad and fitted sheet. Our current mattress has a noticeable dip where we sit so I do not think that a mattress topper is an option. Do you have any insight, comments or solutions to this problem?
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Another vote for Rocky Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbouy View Post
Look at rockymountainmattress.com/rv-mattresses. I have no regrets and they will do radial cuts to match your factory cut. Best decision I ever made.
Have had two of their mattresses and find them to be very high quality.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Thumbs up Another solution

I ordered a mattress from Rocky Mountain Mattress company. They specialize in Airstream sizes even the twin beds. They have standard configurations or will make custom to fit your needs.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clearlake , California
I have 3" Beautyrest Gel Memory Foam toppers on my beds. You can trim to size or shape with an electric carving knife. Very comfortable and don't hold heat.
napabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:14 AM   #25

2018 22' Sport
Manchester , Connecticut
22FB mattress

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemermaid View Post
HI, has anyone dealt with an uncomfortable airstream mattress? My husband & I are brand new to travel trailers. We recently purchased a brand new 2019 Sport 22FB and the mattress is nearly impossible for me to sleep on. Airstream says it is memory foam but it is hard like a rock. I am 67 and my hips, back & legs hurt all night long on that mattress. I cannot get a decent nights rest. Not so on our mattress at home, which is covered with a Tempurpedic mattress topper. We are trying to find a more reasonable mattress topper solution that won't break the bank. (Tempurpedic mattress toppers are not cheap and we would have to cut it up to boot!) Has anyone else dealt with this issue and willing to share solutions? We are looking into a custom 2" Brookside Memory Foam Topper with Quilted Organic Cotton Covertopper from a company called Mattress Insider. Any feedback from any of you out there? Would be so grateful for any thoughts... Thank you!
We experienced this same problem in our 22FF Bambi. Solution was to put a Tempurpedic double topper ďUNDERĒ the mattress which stopped us from bottoming out. We have since moved that topper into our 27 Serenity under the queen mattress and it works well there as well. Tempurpedic topper was bought at Bed Bath and Beyond where you can get a 25% discount coupon on line and save some. Itís been worth it in my opinion.
MBROGOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
milton , Florida
I'v been sleeping on a sleep # mattress for over 20 years, one at home & one in my
34' airstream. you can adjust matress for comfort. a short queen runs about 1600,
Well worth it. hoe this helps.

Wayne
waynedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
milton , Florida
P/S forgot to mention they have rounded corners at foot of bed.

Wayne
waynedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Bountiful , UT
S/N beds are great. Fully adjustable. Great quality.

56ovalwindow is offline   Reply With Quote