Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I can't help but adding my answer.

Who is holding your feet to the fire? Don't buy one, don't look for one, don't even look at them driving down the road. We who own one won't care if you do not become one of us.

Now I feel better.

Tim

Old 07-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Jscanvas:
I bought a '74 Argosy 26' in 2009. I chose the Argosy because a friend recommended it.
I knew when I bought it. There would be work to do. I also am one of the "Lucky Ones". This coach had very little floor rot and no frame damage.
I purchased the unit from the original owner's son.
I gave $2,200 for it 4 1/2 years ago. Counting the purchase price, I have over $11k into it today.
If I had it to do over again. I would put the money toward a new "non A$" product.
While all RV's are money pits. A$'s are what I would consider "very" high maintenance. They are also somewhat fragile. In regards to rivets popping for various reasons.
The design of an A$ has not changed since my trailer was built. The new units have the same or similar problems as my 40 year old unit. Leaks, floor rot, frame failure, poor workmanship, limited dealer support and the list goes on.
I have the skills necessary to do all repairs and upgrades to this coach, short of bodywork and painting, no patience in that area. So I have saved, if you want to call it that, a ton of money doing the work myself.
The truth hurts. A$ products are NOT all they are cracked up to be.
Like you. I expected a higher quality of workmanship and better dealer service than I read about here in the forum.
There are owners here who will defend A$ until the last rivet breaks in their coach.
They are true alumiholics. Others won't admit that they paid too much for the money they spent.
Some enjoy the restoration process and don't mind spending the money. And obviously, they are very proud of what they have. And should be.
There is one A$ unit that I would give a serious look at. And that is the Argosy owned by SmokelessJoe. A$ could learn a lot from this member. His unit has to be one of the most innovative on the road. And from what I can see and read here. There is no shortage of craftsmanship and innovation when it comes to his coach.
If he were the president of the A$. I believe you would get what you paid for.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
I cant believe anyone still uses the term

"Mack Daddy"

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
... Snip ...
There is one A$ unit that I would give a serious look at. And that is the Argosy owned by SmokelessJoe. A$ could learn a lot from this member. His unit has to be one of the most innovative on the road. And from what I can see and read here. There is no shortage of craftsmanship and innovation when it comes to his coach.
If he were the president of the A$. I believe you would get what you paid for.
Actually, TG Twinkie - I believe he said he's put about 3x more in the rig than he's asking for it which would mean we'd all get quite a bit more than we paid for - but of course, the company wouldn't survive for very long.

No excuse for shoddy workmanship anywhere, but somewhere between 2 extremes is a good, profitable, high quality balance. As it is, if I had the cash laying around for SmokelessJoe's amazing rig, I'd snap it up without negotiating. Truly a highly functional work of art!

As for Airstream, in my experience, I'm very pleased with my trailer. Other than a few minor nuisances, it's been very good to us. There are DEFINITELY things the company can improve, but the sky isn't falling by a long shot.

Everyone's mileage can vary :-)
Old 07-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
TG Twinkie
This is a sincere question. If you are so disillusioned with your trailer, why do you still have it? I would think you could get your money back out of it and apply it toward a new one. Just wondering.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
My decision to buy an Airstream was about personal preference. There wasn't anything practical about the decision, and quality (real or imagined) didn't factor into the choice. I chose to rebuild a vintage trailer because I wanted a project (and boy did I get one). I had always wanted to get a classic car and restore it, so I thought rebuilding an AS would give me a similar experience, and when I was done, I would have something I could really get some use out of, rather than just an alternative to my daily driver.

RVs and Trailers are just like boats and planes and classic cars. They are all maintenance intensive, they all have to be cared for, and if you don't have the inclination to take care of things, then either don't own one, or buy something that is shiny, new, and disposable, and as soon as it requires maintenance, sell it and buy another new one. I imagine that really practical people live in rented apartments, drive leased cars, and that way, it is always someone else's responsibility to do the repairs and maintenance. Just guessing, I already know I am not practical.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Airstreams. I have read threads on this forum where the posters presume that because their water tanks freeze in arctic conditions, that there must be a manufacturing defect, that because a water heater failed, it is an example of an "Airstream related" problem, and because torsion axles have to be replaced after 40 years, that this is a major shortcoming of the design. Manage your expectations (with a little education), and you won't spend so much energy being disappointed.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Owning and re-building a vintage AS is a lot like owning and maintaining a vintage aircraft or boat. You're either into it and love it, or not.

Edit: ....what Belegedhel said..
Old 07-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Looking for an Airstream: what an adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
TG Twinkie
This is a sincere question. If you are so disillusioned with your trailer, why do you still have it? I would think you could get your money back out of it and apply it toward a new one. Just wondering.
I don't believe I could recover my "investment".
I have put many hours of labor into the coach.
Replaced all water lines with PEX.
New cabinetry through out.
New Cooktop
New H2O heater
New sinks
New propane tanks
New dinette
New axles
New Converter
New 1100 watt inverter
Solar Panel 85 watt
Rock Guard (window)
And the list goes on.
I know this unit from top to bottom, front to rear.
It is not that I am disillusioned with my coach. While I have not gone to the extreme that SmokelessJoe did. I have made significant repairs and improvements.
We have travelled some 20,000 miles with the Argosy in the 4+ years we have owned it.
I would not pay the money it would take to buy this coach. Oh! wait, I already did. And I know who did all of the work.
I would put it up against anything that comes off of the factory floor for workmanship and trouble free traveling.
It's not as pretty as a shiny A$. It has a few dents from the PO.
Like I said earlier. RV's are expensive and depreciate quickly when bought new. No matter what the brand.
This coach works for us now.
Considering we only use it 6 to 8 weeks a year and some years less.
It doesn't cost much to put license plates on it.
The sales tax and fees I would pay on the first year of new ownership and the following 6 years would be more than 2/3's of what I have in this coach.
It's cheaper to keep her. As they say.
I am glad I did not pay much for this unit. It gave me more room for repairs and improvements.
Those are just some of the reasons I still have it.
If I were to choose to live in one full time or even 6 months a year. I would buy a unit designed and built for 4 seasons. A$ and many other brands are warm to cool season rigs. Not for winter .
Old 07-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We were lucky to get a lightly used 2-year old AS at an affordable (for us) price. Getting a lightly used one, unless you are totally into the restoration lifestyle, seems like a good strategy, once you factor in the value or your time and replacements items.

Ours did need some work, unbeknownst to us (and apparently to the dealership.) However, because they put their used RVs under their own one-year warranty, they paid for all of the this- 'n-that that went wrong with our AS during the first year. (Oh, stuff like the rear upper cupboard working itself loose and falling out onto the bed somewhere on I-94 in Wisconsin.)

For us, pre-purchase, it was more of a question of deciding exactly what we wanted, after decades of tent-camping and ignoring RVs altogether. Once we started looking at RVs on the highway, like Goldilocks, we thought most RVs were too big, the T@Bs and their kin were too small. Then we first saw a Bambi in a rest area off of I-15 in Idaho, and it was love at first sight. Bambi was just right.

Then once you know what you want, and why you want it that way, it's a question of doing a committed, wide-net search. Or just let your Airstream come to you. Ours did.

But for anyone without aluminitis, well, yeah. A white box RV might suit you better.

Jeanne
Old 07-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
JS it seems you've done your homework. I think your a closet Airstreamaphile.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #25

1978 Argosy 30
Hartwell , Georgia
Well people I did buy a 78 Argosy 30. All I did was want a reason for why the prices, quality and troubles with AS because they are supposed to be top of the line. This is the reason I looked at AS because top of the line. I want to thank the ones of you for explaining your point of view. The ones who resort to name calling, well that was nonproductive for sure. I bought this one and it is fully ready to go. Not saying tomorrow it will not have a problem. Paid $4500 and towed it home 300 miles no problem. I am going this weekend for the first time with it, and looking forward to it. Sorry if I offended any of you. I have been upside down, since I lost my wife to lung cancer in May. This is all new and trying something different. I had a 38 Trojan Motoryacht that my wife and I used to enjoy, but to many memories so I sold it and trying this. First solo weekend away.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to the cult!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
... congratulations, you're a master baiter. Either way - don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Couldn't have said it better myself. Though I am pretty impressed that he could type his initial post with only one hand free to do it.

My sister nearly plotzed one time when I made this observation to her. It seems appropriate to share it with our "one time Willie".

They say that Misery Loves Company.

Did you ever hear anyone say that Company Loves Misery?

It's not that he's lookin' for love in all the wrong places... it's that he's given up on being loved, and will settle for being noticed even in the most negative way.

If his post actually has anything at all to do with RV's Let's be kind and point him to OLIVER trailers. Fiberglass Travel Trailers, Made In the USA | Oliver Travel Trailers
They are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Of course right now their choice is as limited as the original Model T Ford. And then there were Avions - pre-Fleetwood and even a year or two into Fleetwood ownership. Again they were wonderful, but have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

What I like most about the Airstream is:
  • I'm getting older and the smell of formaldehyde is likely to become part of my body all too soon. Airstreams don't smell like other RV's.
  • They age gracefully - setting me a good example.
  • Until 3 minutes ago, I just thought they attracted nice people... now an additional plus! They repel misogynists.
  • I spend a lot of time in a condo campground where a lot of people have RV's that are stored at the campground and only put on lots and used a couple of weeks a year. Not one that is more than 5 years old is even vaguely road worthy. My "old" 2006 Airstream was in much better shape and probably had 30,000 miles on it.
  • I watch local police hassle RV owners in our closest local WalMart - especially when the RV looks ratty. When I start a trip I often stock up on water and other consumables with Eddie attached - in the WalMart parking lot - late at night. Last time out the officers helped me carry in the bottled water and groceries. Honestly a single woman of mature years riding a Harley or towing an Airstream seems to draw much friendly attention.

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Apology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscanvas View Post
Well people I did buy a 78 Argosy 30. All I did was want a reason for why the prices, quality and troubles with AS because they are supposed to be top of the line. This is the reason I looked at AS because top of the line. I want to thank the ones of you for explaining your point of view. The ones who resort to name calling, well that was nonproductive for sure. I bought this one and it is fully ready to go. Not saying tomorrow it will not have a problem. Paid $4500 and towed it home 300 miles no problem. I am going this weekend for the first time with it, and looking forward to it. Sorry if I offended any of you. I have been upside down, since I lost my wife to lung cancer in May. This is all new and trying something different. I had a 38 Trojan Motoryacht that my wife and I used to enjoy, but to many memories so I sold it and trying this. First solo weekend away.
Liking an Airstream... my thing.

Nothing at all compared to what you've gone through losing your wife to that awful disease. I apologize for my prior post.

May I please have a mulligan? And start over:

Hello and welcome to our community. We're all suffering from Aluminitis which isn't generally curable, but it actually seems to prolong life and the enjoyment of it. If you get a chance please attend a rally and meet some fellow owners. The "pod people" will welcome you. Check the bottom of the Portal Page for upcoming rallies. Airforum Rallies are open to all, WBCCI rallies aren't always - but if you call ahead they usually welcome you as a prospective member of the club. There are also a number of Airstream only RV parks scattered around the country. Check them out - discount camping in really nice places.

Paula