Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
_

. , .
Is an Airstream a summer oven?

hi explorin....welcome

one thing odd about your post....your stats showed zero/0 posted after you posted....haven't seen that.

no hotter than any other rv would be my observation....so many variables.

otoh......airstreams are the HOTTEST way to travel!!

and i have fond memories of ovens anyway....

cheers
2air'
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorin
How well does the interior of an Airstream hold up under summer heat with open windows and a fantastic fan when boondocking? Do they get stiffling hot? We tend to camp at state and National parks where seldom do you have the opportunity for electrical hookups.
Five years ago my '77 31' Excella 500 developed an electrical problem in the 30 amp power cord plug. It was in July in TN. and a short kept tripping the campground GFIC at the pole. It got over 107 degrees inside the trailer during the day and it was 8 p.m. that evening before the trailer cooled down with the help of two box fans running to the 15 amp. plug on the power pole. It cooled down to around 70 that evening, just enough for us to sleep. We were less than 25% shaded by trees, had a patio awning, an awning on the street side and an awning at the back of the trailer by the rear bath. All three factory installed overhead vent fans were running during the night. I sure am glad that the two Delco Voyager grp. 27 batteries were fully charged before the trip.

It is my understanding that if you open the awnings, open the windows on the side opposite the sun then run your fans on exhaust, it will cool the trailer down more than if you open all windows. I would take advantage of any shade you can get during the hottest part of the day and leave all awnings open to shade the trailer further. If you are boondocking, a solar panel is not helping you much if it is shaded but could do wonders if you were able to run the panel away from the trailer to take advantage of the sun. I am going to add either one 100 watt panel or maybe two 100 watt panels to the roof of my now 25' '86 Sovereign trailer in April '07 but will keep my current portable 5 watt and 30 watt panels for the previous reason. I plan on starting with a Yamaha 30iseb generator in April '06 for my boondocking to run the AC during our hot summers.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Phoenix in the summer, everything is an oven

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Do they get stiffling hot?

We camp in our 16 foot AS throughout the summer, often right on the beach. Our trailer can get stifling hot during the night, but then I just turn the heat down.

Greetings from Alaska.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Summer Oven

Hello -

A few more tips for keeping your AS cool in the heat of the summer.

The aluminum skin soaks up way more heat than the white skins of SOB's - thus recent models of AS have white roofs. Minimizing the amouint of direct sunlight on the skin is therefore essential in keeping the unit cool.

Keep your awning extended as frequently as possible and consider adding the streetside and rear awnings as well. We did this and it helps a lot!

Additionally, keep the sliding cover closed on any skylights you may have in your coach during midday to reduce the amount of sunlight entering and heating.

As mentioned in previous posts, a second Fantastic Fan helps too.

Best of luck with your AS!!!

Steve
Old 03-02-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
summer heat

First thing we do in the summer is extend all awnings. Then we open the windows for good ventilation. When we ordered our AS, we purchased it with both skylights. We hardly ever us them and keep them closed in sunny weather. If I were you, don't waste your money on skylights. The fantastic fans are great. One blows in and the other out.

I can't stress it enough, keep the sides of the AS in the shade of your awnings as much as possible.

Mark
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill benton
In 1991 was when my Airstream was built. I think somebody at the factory was on something when they decided to offer a 34' trailer with a 13,000 BTU AC. I don't know if anyone thought that some people lived in the south. I know a second unit was a option.
Yep after a bad experience with the 13.5 BTU AC in my '01 27' Safari on its first trip (100 degrees full sun outside, 86 inside), I soon learned that white roof or not, aluminum trailers do not reflect the sun very well. Now putting that AC unit on a 34' trailer is a case in futility. I've been in enough 34' units in the summer to know that its a lost cause.

So when I bought my '04 30' Classic, I opted for the biggest AC unit available which was the 15K Penguin. I've never regretted that choice.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #22
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
I wonder if polishing lowers the temperature as well? I know it sure does look cooler

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
This might be an oddball idea but has anyone or is it feasable to add insulation over the interior of an Airstream? Perhaps a double wall??and/or storm windows?? If anyone has any ideas, practical or not, I'd sure like to hear them.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #24
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
The real solution is one of these bad boys.....
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2006, 11:11 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
The real solution is one of these bad boys.....
Love it Lev, has real appeal for hunting trips and beverage of choice too. Should those be mixed?

Seriously that is along the lines of the bed bumper strips so not totally out of the question. How about a special party unit with neon beer signs and a composite quilt of all the beer label can holders.

EDIT actually looking back I think that is not a beverage holder in your graphic. Don't get old Lev the eyes are the first to go!!!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
princeton , Illinois
My cat Albie almost died in a 2013 AS in Kentucky on a 95 degree day,the air was on and working good,the trailer was out in direct sunlight no shade and we were gone all day until late afternoon...my cat made it the AS was not so lucky I sold it and bought an open range fifth wheel with dual air,loved the AS but she was an oven...
Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by cars7070 View Post
My cat Albie almost died in a 2013 AS in Kentucky on a 95 degree day,the air was on and working good,the trailer was out in direct sunlight no shade and we were gone all day until late afternoon...my cat made it the AS was not so lucky I sold it and bought an open range fifth wheel with dual air,loved the AS but she was an oven...
I'm assuming you had some type of a/c or electrical failure. Any trailer closed up with no cooling will turn into a trailer of any brand into an oven. You may have had a temporary power failure while you were gone which may have been long enough to heat the trailer, and when the power came back on, the trailer hadn't recovered.

Even though I felt my 13.5 unit in my Safari was undersized, sitting in 104 degree full sun situations, my inside temps weren't life threatening for my dogs.

I do keep my Fantastic Fans set to open up and come on in case inside temps rise above a safe level as a safety. If the weather is really hot, we won't leave the dogs in the trailer if we have to head out for an extended period of time.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #28

1973 23' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream not oven necessarily

Hi,
I have spent some time studying thermal dynamics and metal, though a very poor insulator is an excellent conductor of thermal conditions, that is heat or cold.
I live in az and the best we can do is make sure none of the metal is in the sun cause if so then yes it is an oven. If instead of an awning merely over the side we cover the whole trailer then the difference is incredible, something like 50 degrees cooler or so when shaded. I'm working on an easy to use awning to use on my airstreams now! I have three, so I'll post a pic if, when I complete it, but I've much to do first.
Anyway find some shade in the summer and sun in winter. so nice to have wheels on our houses no?