Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Inverter vs converter charger, who wins?

Recently acquired Eddie Bauer 27FB, it has a xantrex freedom 1800 inverter that is obviously connected to the batteries, also the stock converter-charger is connected to the batteries. Unless I am mistaken, both of these are charging the batteries when connected to shore power. Wouldn’t this negate the enhanced charging benefits provided by the xantrex?
Thanks!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Converter uses 120VAC power input, 12V 55A power output to batteries.
Inverter uses 12V input (from batteries) and produces a 120VAC output (to the outlets with a blue sticker on them).
Both are connected to the batteries but do very different things.
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Converter uses 120VAC power input, 12V 55A power output to batteries.
Inverter uses 12V input (from batteries) and produces a 120VAC output (to the outlets with a blue sticker on them).
Both are connected to the batteries but do very different things.
I believe that some Xantrex models actually are Inverter/Chargers, so they are inverters when running off batteries, and chargers when plugged in to shore power.

Sheriff, you could put your battery Use/Store switch on "Store" mode when plugged in to shore power, this would take the batteries offline from the stock converter/charger, leaving just the Xantrex charger on. Assuming that the Xantrex isn't wired through the battery USE/Store switch as well. I wouldn't think so. As far as both charging at once...maybe Randy will chime in here with some guidance on if that's an issue.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The converter is taking 120vac. and putting it into the batteries as 12vdc.
The inverter is taking 12vdc. power out of the batteries to make 120 vac.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming it's a Freedom HF 1800:

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...reedom-hf.aspx

Then it's an inverter / charger. Having two "charger" devices running off shore power is not a real good idea. Unless the 1800 is hooked up in a odd way ... you need to change something.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Assuming it's a Freedom HF 1800:

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...reedom-hf.aspx

Then it's an inverter / charger. Having two "charger" devices running off shore power is not a real good idea. Unless the 1800 is hooked up in a odd way ... you need to change something.

Bob

I agree. The question is what and how?
Old 09-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Ideas:

1. Put the USE/STORE switch in "Store" mode to take the OEM charger off the batteries. Test voltage at the batteries to see if they are still showing 13 point something (while plugged in to shore power)...this will confirm that the Xantrex charger is still online.

I don't have a number 2, to permanently take the OEM charger offline--a couple of ideas, but would need to examine a wiring diagram before spouting them off.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #8

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Ideas:

1. Put the USE/STORE switch in "Store" mode to take the OEM charger off the batteries. Test voltage at the batteries to see if they are still showing 13 point something (while plugged in to shore power)...this will confirm that the Xantrex charger is still online.

I don't have a number 2, to permanently take the OEM charger offline--a couple of ideas, but would need to examine a wiring diagram before spouting them off.

I think that’s probably the best answer. Both chargers on will use the high value voltage, going to store mode will let the “good” charger do its thing.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #9
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Recently acquired Eddie Bauer 27FB, it has a xantrex freedom 1800 inverter that is obviously connected to the batteries, also the stock converter-charger is connected to the batteries. Unless I am mistaken, both of these are charging the batteries when connected to shore power. Wouldn’t this negate the enhanced charging benefits provided by the xantrex?
Thanks!
S, is there a interface that lets you set up the Xantrex? Like a monitor or panel or something?
Like was mentioned its easy to switch off the AS converter charger and test. If the Xantrex does what I think it should, leave the converter turned off. Having both on (as was pointed out) can cause charging issues and probably results in batteries not getting fully charged. If this is a DIY installation on the Xantrex, I would have to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
WW
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi

Since this is a custom DIY setup the first step will always be to work out just what was done. Next step will be to guess why it was done. Maybe the existing converter is dead and it's just taking up space. Maybe the converter section of the inverter / charger is blown and it was cheaper to just buy a converter .... lots of crazy possibilities.

Once you *know* what you have (and that takes time and effort) you get to decide how to hook things up right. There is no (obvious) reason to have an inverter / charger and a converter / charger. One or the other should get tossed out. Having two of them is an invitation to all sorts of disasters.

The shortcut approach would be to simply pull the converter charger and see what happens. If all runs fine, that's all it takes.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote