Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Indianapolis , Indiana
International Sterling Edition

We are the happy owners of a new 2014 25FB International Sterling Edition. Colonial Airstream wisely ordered a few special editions without the violet and dijon flooring. Ours looks spectacular with the Eddie Bauer floor option.

Our question is: How many Sterling owners are out there? We rarely see or hear anything about them here on the Forum, so...are there 10 of us, or a hundred? Somebody speak up!

(If you'd like to take a peek at our interior, see our blog at JuneBugJourneys.com)
Attached Images

OurJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Builder of Diesel Jeeps

2014 28' International
Sedona , Arizona
There was a Violet Sterling Sig 25' at the dealer that was marked-down so low that we almost bought. That pink floor....just couldn't get past it.

Ended up with what we wanted - 28' Serenity - but holy smokes, a new Sterling 20k less than list was tempting.
westernjeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Well, we can't all live in a beige and taupe world...or a gray and white specimen lab...
ggoat!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

That's a beautiful trailer!
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
We have a Sterling (2014 27FB) too-and with the Eddie Bauer floor as well-but I'm dying to switch out the floor to the wood-look floor in the Signature (JC quoted me $4500!) I would have actually loved the Dijon colored floor too, I think (I've never actually seen it, however). My first priority was getting the bright white lounge cushions and that was what was available at our dealer. A word of caution as long as we are talking floors-we store shoes in the long lounge bottom storage area (under the pull out bed) and if you open the drawer without being careful, the little finger pull handles make contact with the floor before the actual cabinet door, and we have a little slice in the vinyl from that (I like to blame the kids, but I've been guilty of opening it quickly a few times to grab shoes).
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
We actually went in with the intention of getting the Onyx special edition, but it was like night and day being in the two trailers. The Sterling was clean, light, and bright (and oh so conducive to my many decor whims), while the Onyx finishes, which were undeniably luxe and absolutely gorgeous, made me feel claustrophobic-especially in the bedroom.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Hmmmm...does ours count ... an International EB limited edition with the Eddie Bauer floor...since it is a Sterling option ... LOL
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We fell in love with the Violet Sterling, but then decided we didn't want to deal with anything that looked or felt like carpet. As a result, we went with the Signature.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #9

OCEANSIDE , California
We have a 2014 27ft Sterling. We picked it up in June. I have a love hate relationship with the carpet but other than that it is perfect. This is our first trailer and we have been full timing in it since June 2014.
lawsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello to ourjunebug and lawsons! You both have fabulous new Airstreams. There are so many interior decor options that I can't keep them straight.

I hope both of you are participating in these Forums fifty years from now with your fifty year old Airstreams. They will last that long with care a bit of luck.

Welcome, glad to meet you.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Well I loved both colors. Looked clean and Very modern. But the girlfriend at the time didn't like either one at all so I got the 25 FB flying cloud. It's a little more low key but very cool with black leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

santa rosa , California
HELLO,
We just but a 2014 25FB Violet edition Sterling. Have yet to pick it up and we are excited. Any suggestions on what to look for with final walk through inspection.
thanks
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Indianapolis , Indiana
The only minor issues we had with ours were:

The accordion pleat curtains had trouble staying on the track but were quickly repaired!

Make sure all the cabinet door hardware is on securely and latches properly. Ours has an occasional issue but nothing to complain about!

Our shower door sweep strip was hanging loose, but that's no biggie!

We had the awning package installed at the factory and love it SO much. You might want to consider that.

I bet you'll find that your International Sterling is as perfect as you imagine. We love ours more than we ever thought we would. It's architecturally gorgeous inside and out.

Happy Trails to you!
OurJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #14

This is a very exciting time, take lots of notes - you definitely won't remember it all.

Some stuff to consider:

Check every bit of the electronics - play a DVD, try watching TV fore and aft, listen to a radio station. Crank the antenna up and down, turn the antenna booster off and on again. Turn on the inverter and plug something into it - like maybe a TV.

Verify the fit of the entry door. Can you see any air space between the door and the frame at any point when closed?

Check the fit of the front compartment door on your FB - turn on the light inside the compartment and close the door. Then look around the door to see if any light leaks out. If it does, I promise water will get in there. Eliminating this leak has been our single biggest annoyance.

Try all the fans, check to see that they are properly installed at least on the inside - no loose corners, etc.

Turn all the lights on to make sure they work and that all are securely mounted.

If the rig isn't winterized, run water from every faucet and flush the toilet. Also try running water from the fresh tank to verify that the pump works. If you're winterized, check that stuff out ASAP when you open up the plumbing for business.

Have them lift up the mattress and clean off the plywood base of your bed - I promise, it's likely covered in dust. You want that gone before you take the plastic off your mattress.

As others have said, test every single door and latch to see that they work. Slide all sliding doors open and then closed again - even the ones in the bathroom.

Try out the oven and the cooktop.

Turn on the fridge - it won't get cold enough to matter while you're there, but you can see the light turn on when you open the door.

Check the LEDs on both shore power inlets: fore and streetside to make sure they both light up when power is applied.

Check the voltage on the batteries if you can - a trailer that's been sitting on the lot for a while may have batteries that were allowed to repeatedly discharge. If so, you don't want those batteries - you want new ones. Your first clue on this may be that when you prepare hitch up for the first time, the jack fuse blows as you try to raise the trailer's tongue. If that happens, you probably have low batteries; lower voltage causes the jack to draw more current, and that blows the fuse. So, if your jack blows the fuse repeatedly on your first hitch up at the dealer, you may want to ask them to put in new coach batteries before you're willing to take the trailer home. If we had done that, it would have saved us some time later on - we eventually persuaded them to make the battery swap for us.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:34 PM   #15

More:

Try out the propane-fired furnace.

If they have sufficient shore power, try out the heat pump / air conditioner. If you have ducted AC, check every air vent to see that they are all moving air. If they don't have sufficient shore power, ask them to get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Just a note with turning on that furnace when checking out your Airstream: we used our furnace for the first time last weekend (first time camping in this Airstream in below freezing temps), and I woke up to a burning smell, with the smoke detector going off shortly after. The smell dissipated after an hour or so, but it had me worried. After doing a quick search on the forums, it seems this happens with first-time furnace use.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

santa rosa , California
Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

santa rosa , California
I have a quick question for the sterling owners. My wall in the bed room came apart from the corner. It looks like it is just pin nailed on trim piece. This wall carries the weight of TV so it appears it is a weak design? Any one else have this issue or any ideas for work around. Not to worried as it is under warranty but i dont want them to just put more nails in it!
Thanks
Old 03-27-2015, 08:03 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
I'm not sure what your talking about here. A few pictures would for sure help. Your correct nails will pull out again but screws and little Gorilla glue just might work. Good luck with your repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
silverbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

santa rosa , California
Hello Again
Any Sterling owners have issues with the back wall in the bedroom where the TV hangs. Ours has become separated. It appears it was just pin nailed and the weight of the TV pulled the wall out. Was thinking of re nailing with some glue?