Old 03-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
International?

Ok I am a little confused (not uncommon of a state of mind for me). Our coach does not had a I on the SN# badge. So it is not a "International MODEL".

Yesterday Chili and I noticed a ghost of a sticker that is where a "International Sticker" May have been.

Same placement and aproximate size as the one on this coach.
http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch.../64Safaria.jpg

So that raised a Question with us. I thought that the international "sticker" was also placed on international "model" coaches.

Chili pointed out that maybe it's a Rally sticker like a Wally Byum Caravan plaque that our coach does have and has nothing to do with the coach being a "International model".

I'm so confused!

Well what is it?

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Toaster,

I though the international package was an option bundle that denoted that the trailer was equipped to go on a caravan, meaning fully self contained. I do not know if they badged them like that before the 60's. I also know that the options could be bought ala-carte.

If you have a ghost of a round emblem over where the numbers should be it was likely a WBCC or WBCCI sticker. It could also have been a good Sam sticker. They are approx. the same diameter. I know that Fred knows when the WBCC/WBCCI sticker came into being, he could tell you when they were issued for the first time.

Just for clarification WBCC is Wally Byan Caravan Club, WBCCI is the International version of the same club.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Hey Toast,

Off topic ... but I just noticed that we have the same birtday (only 4 years apart)! Cool.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
Toaster,

I though the international package was an option bundle that denoted that the trailer was equipped to go on a caravan, meaning fully self contained. I do not know if they badged them like that before the 60's. I also know that the options could be bought ala-carte.

If you have a ghost of a round emblem over where the numbers should be it was likely a WBCC or WBCCI sticker. It could also have been a good Sam sticker. They are approx. the same diameter. I know that Fred knows when the WBCC/WBCCI sticker came into being, he could tell you when they were issued for the first time.

Just for clarification WBCC is Wally Byan Caravan Club, WBCCI is the International version of the same club.

Ahhh ok...I'm feeling like an idiot (not from you 64...this is my own doing).

I have some how thought that round sticker that you can see in so many pictures but not read was a globe and said international on it (I have seen that somewhere and looking for it again). I didn't realize it was maybe this.

Ok I not so confused now.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:07 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
No worries,

When the sticker ghosts are there it can be hard to tell what the original was. For some reason the ghost of the round one seems to show the globe really well.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64
No worries,

When the sticker ghosts are there it can be hard to tell what the original was. For some reason the ghost of the round one seems to show the globe really well.
I'm still trying to find that picture I saw. It was blue back ground and had international diagonaly across it. There was a site that had a goog clear picture of it somewhere.

Well that leads to another question. Was their a 4th owner of our coach?
Fred cannot find the names of the Owner that had it just prior to My Father-in-law buying it. We we under the impression they were the original owners. No Ghost numbers that we can tell. We do have a Caravan Plaque that was permently afixed to the coach and now a WBCCI sticker (and a Tripple A LOL ).

Wish there was a way to track it by SN#.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:00 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey Toaster,
The '59 World Traveler in the archive section has this Int'l emblem. Look here:

http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...dTraveler.html

I'm sure at home I have a better picture of this emblem. Each trailer had two of them and they were not above the window. They were on aluminum and attached with two rivets and were not a sticker that would leave a ghosted image.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've got the same round emblem on my 58, except it is mounted next to the door and the other is mounted center over the rear window.

Ken J.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Thanks.
That is what I thought I was looking at!

Somewhere I saw a very nice clean picture of one of those.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I knew I had a picture of the International emblem somewhere. It was originally etched and painted on aluminum and attached with four bucked rivets. You'ld know if this was missing from your trailer. This one is from a '60 Overlander and there were two on each trailer on the round front sections of the trailer appr. 65" up from the ground.

FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	int\'lemblem.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	5527  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
International?

Quote:
About a year ago, I acquired an original sales brochure that heralded the introduction of the International package. While it doesn't have a date anywhere on the publication, it does make mention of towing with your 1955 or later automobile in regard to the needed electrical capacity to operate the 12-volt accessories installed with the International package. The 1950s coach on the cover of the brochures has the round aluminum International badge.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote