Old 09-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I'm using the Equal-I-Zer hitch. Its been fine, provides plenty of weight distribution. Using 1200 bars. Never had a sway problem, though it could be I've just been lucky.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Bratenahl , Ohio
Thank You to everyone! Fred

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums - Fred

Old 09-28-2014, 04:20 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I seriously considered the Hensley/ProPride systems. I believe that there are several good reasons to consider other options.

The Hensley/ProPride systems have had at least some documented failures. These systems are also extrememely heavy compared to their much less expensive counterparts. They may "steal" close to 100 lbs. from your available payload. For many folks who care about staying safe, that's just not weight that they have available. Finally hitching up can be very difficult with these systems. It can take lots of fancy maneuvering to mate the TV to the TT. How much time do you really want to spend at the campground trying to hitch up? I've found that much more than a few minutes can start to bring out the highly-opinionated crowds...
Old 09-28-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Pro Pride gets my vote. Support from Shawn @ PP is excellent. One tends to support the product that they own. Having had experience with several brands in the past I heartily endorse the PP.

>>ron<<
Old 09-28-2014, 06:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
How much money do you have?
If money does not limit your decision, get the ProPride. Hensley and ProPride work on the same principle. ProPride seems like the "new and improved" Hensley. Sean at ProPride used to work for Hensley.
All styles/brands have merit. Reese Dual Cam users love them. I understand why.
I have had an EazLift- a very simple effective design and the least expensive-
I now use an Equal-i-zer. It is a very simple design snd it works well, but if I had $2,300 I would but a ProPride hands down.
The best part about the Equsl-i-zer is the ease of use/hitching and unhitching. Also, Equal-i-zer's customer service is top notch.
I expect customer service at ProPride or Hensley would be good, also.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have this: Reese unit, Strait-Line Weight Distribution System w Sway Control - Trunnion Bar - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW

I think if properly set up, ball tilt, tension on the trunnion bars, etc., this hitch provides excellent resistance to the most common problem I have encountered, that is the pulling of the trailer to the road side as one is being passed by a large truck, i.e., semitrailer truck. And, as I like to tow about 62-64 mph, I am passed a lot on the Interstate highways. The condition is exacerbated when a cross wind is present.

With my current adjustments, giving me weights on my axles of about 4400 front, 4300 rear, and a bit over 7000 for the trailer, I rarely have any pull from a semi.

As I said, the correct set up is critical with any hitch, and this may not always be the first set up tried. I have made adjustments in truck stops with trunnion bar tension, length of the sway control contact points, and number of chain links hanging down.

The final result is the weight data above.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
I seriously considered the Hensley/ProPride systems. I believe that there are several good reasons to consider other options.

The Hensley/ProPride systems have had at least some documented failures. These systems are also extrememely heavy compared to their much less expensive counterparts. They may "steal" close to 100 lbs. from your available payload. For many folks who care about staying safe, that's just not weight that they have available. Finally hitching up can be very difficult with these systems. It can take lots of fancy maneuvering to mate the TV to the TT. How much time do you really want to spend at the campground trying to hitch up? I've found that much more than a few minutes can start to bring out the highly-opinionated crowds...
I know of one ProPride failure, a broken stinger weld that is very unlikely to occur at highway speed, rather when entering/leaving a steep driveway approach dip which is true of any hitch weld failure. Do you have other documented cases?

Hensley hitches have been around 20 years, some with extensive use and little maintenance. They can wear out like any mechanical device, that's not a failure.

It might weigh 100# more than a conventional hitch, not much spread over all truck/trailer axles with weight distribution. The straw that broke the camel's back, I don't think so. The beauty is the hitch head stays on the trailer, you never have to lift it.

We use a ProPride, our third hitch brand. It's incredibly easy to hook up. Line it up, back into it, snap on the over center locks and pin, set the weight distribution. Like any hitch, you learn your own method to make it easy for you.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Started with a Hensley for our 25FB and towed it home behind Mercedes ML320 CDI. Since I did not exceed 55 mph from Los Angeles to Phoenix, I had most vehicles passing me. The bow wave of the semi trucks passing 25 to 30 mph faster than I was going in Arizona did not cause any issues. I was impressed.

Due to weight issues at the scales when the trailer was loaded, we migrated to a Dodge 2500HD and still used the Hensley, but with a new stinger as the CanAm customized one did not work for the truck as I needed a 2" drop.

When we ordered, the 31' Classic, I also went with the second Jim Hensley design which is called the ProPride. There are many detail improvements in the new design and, for me, it is much more user friendly. Still no issues in cross winds and being passed by semi trucks despite the much longer trailer.

I planned to install the ProPride myself, so I had to tow the trailer to the storage unit from the dealership using just a ball. Driving at 45 in town and a short time at 55 to get to the storage unit, I learned why the Hensley design works so well. I was truly glad this was only 19 miles.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Carpet View Post
I am picking up a new 25 flying cloudFB next month. My TV is a Chevy 2500 HD Diesel. The Airstream dealer is recommending an Equalizer E4 hitch 12000. I had previously planned on purchasing a ProPride. I realize that there are many, many opinions on which hitch is best. I am trying to determine if the Equalizer will do the job and provide safe towing. Silverbp can you elaborate on your experience with the Equalizer. Interested in others on the forum opinion on effectiveness of the Equalizer E4. Also on whether the size of the Equalizer needed for my setup.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I am pulling a 31' Classic with a Chevy crew cab, 6 1/2' box, Heavy Half using an Equalizer hitch with 1000 lb bars. Works great.

I think the 12000 lb bars will be way too stiff for you with a 25' AS. (Just my humble, un educated opinion.)
Old 09-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I, too, use an Equal-i-zer with 1,000# bars.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Same here Equalizer hitch with 1000 lbs bars. Perfect with my TV and 25 FC

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Fred.

The selection of a hitch rating depends on 2 things.

One, the size and weight of the trailer.

Two, the tow vehicle rigidity.

If you purchase a Reese, changing to a higher tounge weight later, means all you would have to do is change the torsion bars, nothing else.

Presently you should limit yourself to a 600 pound full sway control Reese.

Anything over that will cause damages to the trailer, especially if you also have a heavy duty tow vehicle.

Andy
Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
If I read you correctly, Andy, with my Serenity, I should be using a lower rating trunnion bar. I am using the Reese dual cam, sway control, weight distribution hitch like this:
http://www.hitchpro.net/application/...ons/n26102.pdf

I have towed the trailer 3200 miles, and made one adjustment about half way through and now run the connection chains with three loose links, instead of four as originally set up. With the three loose links, the weights are as follows:

Truck front axle: 4380 lbs
Truck rear axle: 4300 lbs
Trailer 7140 lbs

Truck has 150 lbs of generator in the bed, plus 100 lbs miscellaneous.
Trailer with full water load.

So, weight wise I think the setup has it figured out. This towing setup feels like there is no trailer behind the truck. I will be adding a 55 gallon diesel tank in the bed which will be from about 50 - 440 lbs near the front of the bed, or balanced between front and rear.

So, should I change the 1200 lb trunnion bars to 800 lb rating?

Thanks
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
If I read you correctly, Andy, with my Serenity, I should be using a lower rating trunnion bar. I am using the Reese dual cam, sway control, weight distribution hitch like this:
http://www.hitchpro.net/application/...ons/n26102.pdf

I have towed the trailer 3200 miles, and made one adjustment about half way through and now run the connection chains with three loose links, instead of four as originally set up. With the three loose links, the weights are as follows:

Truck front axle: 4380 lbs
Truck rear axle: 4300 lbs
Trailer 7140 lbs

Truck has 150 lbs of generator in the bed, plus 100 lbs miscellaneous.
Trailer with full water load.

So, weight wise I think the setup has it figured out. This towing setup feels like there is no trailer behind the truck. I will be adding a 55 gallon diesel tank in the bed which will be from about 50 - 440 lbs near the front of the bed, or balanced between front and rear.

So, should I change the 1200 lb trunnion bars to 800 lb rating?

Thanks
To ne, your present rated hitch bars, are a killer, because of the rigidity of your tow vehicle.

With or without the extra fuel tank, I would suggest you goe with a 600 rated hitch bar.

Andy