Old 06-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Help with definitions/sizes

Hello all,
In my search for the perfect classic airstream for our family, I need some help. Not having seen the interior of an airstream for some time, it is hard to understand from online photos the actual size and layout of various models. Here's where I need some help:

I think we want a "dinette" unit - I like the built in table, but will it cofortably seat four and do they typically fold into a bed? Will they sleep two adults? Or are they smaller than they look?

The various sofas/gouchos - do they also sleep two adults?

Is a "travel lounge" type sofa a pull out bed?

Any user info you can share with me will really help me narrow my search so I can concentrate on the models that will best suit our needs.

I've looked at lots of photos and layouts online, but would love some suggestions on what four adults really need to camp comfortably in the smallest model possible, probably 20-26 feet.

Thanks in advance,
Tamara

Old 06-01-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Have you checked out the vintage airstreams archive site?

There is a terrific collection of pictures of all the older models by year and size.

I can help answer a few of your questions though. Most of the units that have an original dinette do make into a bed. If it would seat 4, it would sleep 2 adults.

The sofa/gaucho/travel lounges also make into beds, if it's on the side it's square and more comfortable for two adults. If it's in the front or back it's curved and will sleep two although a bit more "cozy". The are slightly smaller than a full, about 48"x78".

We have a 1964 19' GlobeTrotter. Theoretically, it would sleep 4, before we took out the front gaucho, however it would have been very tight. We are planning on building in a dinette up front where the gaucho was, but it will not sleep two adults comfortably when made into a bed...it'll be a twin, there is only 37" from the front to the door. We do not have kids and only plan on using the bed if one of us is sick or we happen to have a guest.

In my opinion, a 22' Safari or similar model would be the smallest for four adults. Hopefully this helps you start to narrow it down...

Shari

Old 06-01-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Shari,
That does help. I have looked at the photo archives, some of which have been helpful, but your explanation makes it even clearer. The Safari is one of the models on my list, and I agree a 22' is probably the range I need to shoot for.

I really like the idea of the dinette, though it seems harder to find them in the small/medium sized models. And getting that with a pull out double seems even harder - we have two couples, no kids in our little group. I'd like to have the equivalent of two double beds rather than the twins/double combo I am seeing so often.

Thanks again,
Tamara
Old 06-01-2002, 09:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Something to consider: Your ultimate satisfaction will depend more upon your expectations than the actual physical size or floorplan. I personally could not be comfortable with four adults in any Airstream ever made. But you will have entirely different expectations.

Take some time to look at some Airstreams. Go sit inside. Just sit. Think about having three other people and where they are going to be. The model year is not all that important as glaciers move quicker than the Airstream styling department (wouldn't that be a great job? "After exhaustive reserarch, I have decided we should leave everything just the same for another 10 years.")

Do the dinette beds sleep two adults? Depends upon the adults, and which dinette. Set up one as a bed. Take measurements. Lay down, on both the inside and outside. Do the same with goucho beds and covertible sofas. We have the sofa, and while a remarkable piece of engineering, the gap between the back and the seat make it impossible for the outside sleeper to be comfortable unless you put down a piece of foam or an air mattress.

Remember also that all convertible bed arrangements require one sleeper to be "trapped" against the wall. Make sure that this does not bother anyone unduely.

Give some consideration to where everyone will store their stuff.

As you visit different floorplans you will be able to see how you are likely to be happiest. You will be able to determine which be arrangement and what size you will want. Then comes the thrill of the hunt!

Mark
Old 06-01-2002, 09:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Mark,
That's very sound advice...thanks. Now, where can I have an up close and personal look at a variety of classic Airstream models? Having never been to a rally I wonder if that would be the best way to get the "inside" view? I'm not finding too many used airstreams nearby, but maybe I could start roaming through local campgrounds...as long as the folks don't think I'm a trailer stalker. ("Hello ma'am, mind if I take a peek at your sofa?")

You are correct about people's expectations being different - my view is any camper is better than two in a tent and two in the back of a van piled with luggage. I am looking forward to any kind of camper - at least it's a place to start! It's got to be better than sleeping on a pile of someone else's dirty clothes... :-) Of course, there will still be that issue of snoring to overcome. Maybe two campers would do the trick.

Thanks for the great suggestions,
Tamara
Old 06-01-2002, 09:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Couches as beds...

Tamara;

How tall is the tallest person who would sleep in your trailer?

I am 6' even. MarilynW is 5'9". We are also pretty thin. If I stretch out on the bed/couch I have about 2" at the top of my head and the bottom of my feet before I hit the cabinets. I sometimes guess in the 50's and 60's Airstream decided its customers were never taller than 6'0".

My couches cushions measure about 6'3. Our Queen size mattress on our household bed measures 6'6".

In a 24' foot or less I also would not even think of having 4 adults in it. It would work OK for 2 adults and 2 kids, but that is all. These sizes were really intended for couples who get along in tight quarters and don't want to invest a lot of money in a heavy-duty tow vehicle. (Another consideration when searching for that perfect trailer)

Regards and keep searching. You will find it.
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bobby,
Tallest is 5'8", and we are all "average" or less in size. Sounds like the height won't be a big problem, but I appreciate your input on the 24' and smaller models being cramped for four. Some of us need more space than others...

Boy, I am really going to have to get out there and start looking in person...these online searches are only the beginning I guess.

Thanks to all for the advice, it is really appreciated.

Tamara
Old 06-01-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
When we first brought "Maxwell" home, we had a little "toast in the trailer" with a couple of friends. It was the middle of winter so we kept the door closed...I COULDN'T STAND IT!!!! They are good friends...but....an hour or so was fine! That's when we decided we could live without the second double bed because we would never survive even a weekend in that close of quarters!

What's that old Airstream adage... "Six for cocktails, four for dinner and two for bed!" I'd vote for two trailers!

Shari
Old 06-01-2002, 11:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
P.S.

Check into a local rally...ours always have Open House times during a Rally...it would be a GREAT way to check them all out. It's amazing how different they all are...and besides, you may find one for sale while you're at it

Indiana WBCCI Units

What better way to learn about Airstreams, than to hang out with people that have them!

Shari