Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #461
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
The floor in my 2004 squeeks and creaks like it needs a heavy shot of WD-40, or something stronger. Dave Schumann walked on it and said there was no problem.

John
John, this sounds darn near identical to my issue, right down to the locations. I was going to take the tank cover off (underneath the RV) and see what it looks like up under there, making any adjustments I can. It's either that or drive 5 hours to Jackson Center. When I get the time and courage, I'll post what I find.

Rob, glad the issue with your water heater is resolved.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 PM   #462
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, just got back yesterday from a weekender and when I got home, my Micro Pulse tank monitor decided to totally stop and skip the fresh tank report/display. The LEDs work fine, but the system will no longer sense the fresh tank or display any status on it. Any thoughts before I contact the tank sensor company. I think they are under warranty for 5 years, but I'm not sure.....this will make my 4th unit since I bought my Safari in December of 2003.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #463
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Question

Hey twink--We've had the same problems with the floor and tank sensors. the floor problem has mostly disappearded, but that's because we had JC replace it with wood. Seems to get the tanks in they have to reduce the floor supports. So I've been told, you get a larger tank, but gain a "noise and and a soft spot". Our black tank sensor is the one we've had problems with and after all the repairs, it's out again. The mfc told me that it's because A/S chooses to locate it in a spot that is prone to water, dirt, etc. I'm suppose to cover the sensor with a weather tight boot. Yea right. Eaiser to just take a peek now and then. Had JC change out the brakes to hydro and really like the difference. For the most part we've been pretty happy "knock on wood" with our unit. I'd have to second the remark regarding the JC employees. They've went the extra for us.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #464
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well I hadn't thought of revisiting this thread to post, but after replacing my battery cooking converter/charger with a 3 way converter/charger, I just have to say I am just even more unimpressed with the build of my unit. Let me give you some recent findings:

The tank sensors fail randomly. I pulled the converter this past weekend to replace it and found very loose cables for the system. Moving them slightly got one of the sensors working, then stopped another from working. Got home, after being in transit, something bounced around and now they all work again...for how long, is anyone's guess. The romex(sp?) wiring that provides A/C current was being stabbed by a corner of the plywood floor it was going through. It had no protection around it at all and eventually the friction would have rubbed wire insulation off and who knows what might have happened from there.

Behind the converter was small paper garbage, unreal amounts of sawdust (yes, right under and behind the main electrical service). Many of the wood screws were torqued too much and were stripped, holding the power center in only somewhat securely. I also found a few other screws around the bathroom door, same thing while trying to solve the creaking issues I talk about next.

Two creeks, significant ones by the back bathroom door and rear sink and, by the microwave. I don't believe the company puts any type of gaskets between the wood and flooring or the countertops and the wood (or fake wood) walls like mine, so squeaks and creeks seem to be more and more common (though I do know this is a moving house, all of my cars made in 2004 don't do this-- which seems to support the comments on another thread that the RV industry as a whole is 10 years or more behind the auto industry).

The tanks under the floor creek and groan horribly now when full or empty when you walk over them on the inside of the trailer.

Belly pan is starting to sag.

I found that two windows had zero gaskets at all. Spent a few bucks and countless hours trying to find a good gasket material to allow the windows to seal. Several windows that had seals didn't close properly not allowing the gaskets to make contact. Some windows appeared somewhat bent. Then again, most of us know the overall quality and usefulness of the HEHR windows installed.....

My unit continues to corrode on the exterior as it did when it was when I first noticed it when it was 1 year old (see corrosion thread): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

I think however, outside of a few odds and ends, I've addressed all that I can see right now. It's what I haven't seen is what concerns me. I mean I pulled two panels out that normally, an owner might not do and as I posted here, in one I found a wrapped up McDonald's breakfast sandwich wrapper balled up and placed into the umbilical hole and then this junk this weekend when I pulled my converter to replace it. Fun never ends I guess.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #465
3 Rivet Member

2004 28W Stove Vent and Fantastic Fan

All,

This year, went out for the yearly wax job and saw that the stove vent (made from plastic) is shedding its paint. Will likely live with it because it does not leak, and do not want to try to repaint it. The plastic underneath is of simialr color to what they painted it. Will likely treat is with some UV stuff next time I am out there.

Fantasic fan auto opening mechanism sheared its shear pin. The vent finally stuck well enough to cause it to fail. Fantastic vent company sending free replacement parts, plus some stuff to treat the gasket with to prevent the dome cover from being so sticky. Very easy call, and easy repair, except the coach was over 100 degress yesterday.

The license plate light cover is made from chromed pot metal. It suddenly and quite quickly rusted like crazy. Dunno if i missed it with a coat of wax last year, but it looks pretty bad. Will likely try to order a replacement next time I have it in to the mothership.

The exterior is not perfect anymore, and the wheels are showing some signes of corosion, but the interrior and exterior are otherwise holding up OK. It still smells good on the inside, and it has never leaked. No clear coat issues, but it has picked up some road dings. Everything show little wear and tear.
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #466
3 Rivet Member

Fantastic Vent Fixed

All,

I got the fantastic vent parts from them free in two days -- they sent me motor and gearbox, a new opening mechanism, a new knob, screws and some 303 protectant to apply to the seal to prevent the dome from sticking anymore. They also supplied isntructions in color how to replace the opening motor and the opening mechanism, plus a procedure for applying the 303 (clean with alcohol first).

Kudos to them for supporting a 7 year old fan! Installation took 15 minutes and the fan works as good as new!

-RAH
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote