Old 05-01-2005, 12:23 PM   #435
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I took the tour 3 days in a row the week before last while I waited for my work to be done. I looked at several units in detail and found several new QC checks that I didn't see when I took the tour in Dec 2003. Each check required 2 or 3 signatures. Additionally, a few of the coaches I got to see the daily progress each unit went through and I was even more impressed with the fit an finish. Keep in mind that doesn't say that mistakes wont happen, but I could clearly see a lot more attention to detail, or at least that was my perception.

Bottom line, myself, I would feel very comfortable getting another Airstream.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #436
Craftsman

The truth is, hearing about these things from owners of new Airstreams does make you scratch you head ( or pull your hair out)and wonder how they leave the factory with such obvious poor work. What, no one sees it or cares enough to correct it? It kind of reminds me of my early days in the trades, when you would call someone on poorly exacuted work and the response would be " you can't see it from my house". I like what I saw as far as quality in the 34 LTD at the factory and will order a 2006 within the next few months, but I will have my fingers and toes crossed.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:13 PM   #437

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well the latest report on quality still shows some areas of want on my Classic. First I still can't seem to keep the kitchen area drawers closed while traveling. Occasionaly I will also find a drawer slide open in the cabinet on the rear curbside next to the queen bed.

The dealer has had it twice and I do have to pull up to open the drawers, so the stop is there. Obviously our rough Missouri roads are causing the drawers to raise above the stops and slide out. I'm now considering using some of those child proof latches that attach out of sight that keep the drawer from opening more than a fingers width.

It looks like the water heater safety valve it starting to open when the electric element reaches the last minute or two of its heating cycle.

I have developed a small leak in the skylight above the center bath area. Thankfully it dripped straight down from the enclosure around the well and only was a drop or two after an all night rain. No other evidence of water going down the walls or exiting underneath. The dealer is fixing this tomorrow as an emergency repair.

Finally we are replacing the systems monitor panel tonight at home, due to a burnt out LED. The folks who built the monitor panel answered an email questioning the problem and overnighted a new panel to me. At this point I have half of the panel installation completed but needed to buy some butt connectors to finish this up.

I'm a little disappointed in regards to the skylight leak, obiously short of a failure of the skylight itself, I'm figuring that the original caulking was probably not quite up to par. The major disappointment is the drawers. I don't believe its a vibration problem since I keep a TV set on the vinal floor in the same area during travel. If the vibration was that bad, I would think the TV would have walked a mile. It seems to pretty much stay in its travel postion and probably doesn't move more than an inch. At this point the drawers are very lightly loaded which may have some bearing on the problem.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #438
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
More Problems with the 2004

I'm getting concerned about my 2004 22' CCD. I had it out last week and encountered the following problems:

The cabinet door to the storage under the bed came off. The screws were too small and stripped the particle board. I've since replaced them with 1 1/2" # 10 counter sunk wood screws.

I can't use the refrigerator on AC. It trips the #4 Circuit Breaker every time. When I turn the frig off, or to propane, the CB 4 resets. I'll have to take it back to the dealer for a checkout to determine if it's the frig, breaker or a short somewhere in between.

The water pump stopped working. In troubleshooting, I found that the pin connector to/from the monitor panel comes loose in transit. This breaks the DC circuit at the control panel that energizes the pump. I have to unscrew the panel after transit to tighten the connector in order to get the pump to work.

We had a severe T-storm last Saturday night. I had laid a book on the galley counter by the sink. When I picked it up, it was soaked (ruined). I noticed water dripping from the stove vent support bracket. Appearently water was coming in from a poorly caulked vent cover outside. I have since caulked it, but am concerned about water damage, wet insulation, etc. I have also had to caulk on a couple of exterior seams and unused rivet holes because I noticed no caulking and water streaks on the inside panels. I thought Airstream tests these trailers out in a special room with water jets. They should fire the jerk that inspected mine!

It looks like I have a maintenance nightmare. I thought Airstreams were quality built. I had less problems with my first trailer (Jayco Kiwi) which cost 1/3 as much as my AS. I think Airstream is riding on their good reputation of the past, but if they don't get their act together and improve their workmanship/QA they'll lose it.

My local dealer has been good at fixing the problems in the past, but as my warranty period will be expiring in the next few months and the problems escalating, I'm uncertain whether I want to keep this "White Elephant".
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #439
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Recommend that you do what we have done with our repairs - call or email Dave Schumann [dschumann@airstream.com] first. Then have Dave get in touch with the repair locations to follow the reapirs. That is what we did prior to repairing our long repair lists in this thread.

We purchased the extended warranty (6 yr) from the A/C and frig manufacturer. There is something wrong, and ensure they fully ID the repair details to you. We had the "control board" replaced early on with our frig.

Good luck. Out warranty is done next week. Our last trip was trailer event free. We didn't notice new problems.

Yes - the 2004 AS QC was terrible. AS did not do what they advertise. I can only hope the newer versions are better. Otherwise, we're going to loose the dealer support network when people stop buying them. We won't consider or recommend another AS/Thor product until we hear of several years of good reports via this forum.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #440
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
We stopped at Jackson Center the week before last en route from Pennsylvania to Montana to get several more items on our trailer worked on.

We purchased a Sharp flat screen TV, and had Airstream's service department install a wall mount just above the credenza, which I am quite pleased with. They put a slender wood box against the wall, that is tapered to fit the wall and hide some of the TV cables, and mounted the Omni cantilever bracket and their custom made metal backplate to it.

(We also subscribed to the Dish Network, and bought the Accu-Dish stand, portable satellite dish and carrying cases, so together with the free Wi-Fi internet access at the Yellowstone's Edge RV Park we're now staying at, we are really "wired"!)

Some of the fastener clips on our outside storage compartments (such as those used on the water and electric service compartment doors) had been falling apart, so the service guy readjusted and replaced them, and he also replaced the thick black foam seals that the factory had originally installed around the compartment doors with a thinner rubber gasket material, similar to that which is around the outside entrance door. I think that was a great idea because now the compartment doors not only close easier, but they fit more closely against the trailer, and put less pressure on the clips that had been coming apart.

The caulking around one of my Fantistic Fans on the roof had not been smoothly applied, and there was crater in the middle of the caulking that was bound to cause a leak sooner or later, so they fixed that as well.

On our way to Jackson Center, the wall mirror behind the dinette and the clock above the mirror both fell off the wall (actually the mirror only came partially off, so we took it off completely so it didn't fall off entirely and cause a much bigger problem). Both of them were attached with velcro, stuck to the wall - not a very good way to install a heavy mirror - but obviously cheap and easy. I'm not sure how the service guy has the mirror installed now, but he said the entire wall would have to fall for the mirror to come down.

We are finally getting this trailer about as good as we are able, considering its many original factory defects. And, as much as I may seem to complain here, I actually like this trailer (guess I'm a glutton for punishment).

There are a couple other items that we're going to undertake fixing now ourselves:

Our drawers still keep coming open after several repair attempts by our dealer and the factory service. We are going to buy better drawer hardware, and fasten the drawers with removable velcro when we travel. We can put velcro strips on both sides of the bedroom vanity drawer between our rear twin beds, where it will not be seen, and then run a piece of velcro across the front of the drawer to hold it closed when we travel. I think a piece of velcro around the handles of the 4 drawers beneath our kitchen stove should keep them shut - a bungee cord could serve the same purpose.

The bottoms of some outside compartments are rusting significantly, as are the electric corner jacks. Some Rustoleum should provide some temporary relief. (Our trailer has only been outside in mostly dry hot weather for about 4 months of it's life, and stored inside the rest of the time.) I wonder what these'd look like by now if we spent time along the sea coast?

I also bought one of those pump caulking cans (that look like an oil can) from the factory store, had them fill it with caulking for a couple dollars, and have caulked every conceivable place where it looked like water might get in - there were many areas that needed better caulking when we originally bought the trailer, and even after the factory service recaulked last year, there were some more areas that I recaulked. That refillable caulking can is a neat, and inexpensive way to apply caulking.

One final item of note: Before leaving on our trip for the summer, and our trailer was in storage so I couldn't easily get to it, I read the owners manual to find out what model water filter I needed to buy for our Moen Pure Touch filtering faucet in the kitchen sink, which I intend to replace every year. Since the owner's manual was less than clear (as is typical with our Airstream owner's manual in many areas) I telephoned both the Airstream and Moen factory customer service representatives to make sure I got the right filter. Both assured me I needed to buy the Microtech 600 replacement filter (this filter is also called Model #601). WRONG!! After buying 3 Model #600 replacement filters, I got my trailer out of storage and saw the filter in my faucet is a Microtech 5000 filter which is completely different from the 600 filter. In hindsight, I believe that our Limited series trailer has a different faucet than the standard Classic models do. It sure would be nice if the factory gave the correct information to you, instead of 14 pages of irrelevant information in the owner's manual. (Some of us newbies actually try to read, understand, and follow the manual. I'd rate the owner's manual in the same class as our trailer's quality - shoddy at best in many areas.)

John
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
We won't consider or recommend another AS/Thor product until we hear of several years of good reports via this forum.

73/gus
We stopped overnight in Sheridan, Wyoming on our way here to Montana last week, and were parked beside a family that had an SOB 5th wheel made by Thor. The guy said it was just a year old. Last summer, he said an axle broke on the trailer during his summer vacation, his rubber roof had peeled off in front, and allowed water to pour into his trailer and destroy a number of cabinets, the inside walls, etc.

After getting those problems fixed last year, he said he just saw that the roof was coming off again, and he only had these 2 weeks for his summer vacation, so now he didn't know what to do! He said his trailer had been in for service for 70 days during this past year.

And I thought I had problems!

John
Old 07-09-2005, 03:01 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I purchased an additional year warranty coverage (3 years total) for my Dometic AC and frig, so I should be able to get the frig fixed.

Knowing what I know now about Airstream, I wouldn't have paid $40K+ for a new unit. I probably should have bought vintage unit for alot less and restored it.

I'll not discourage potential buyers from purchasing new Airstreams, but I will point out my experiences and recommend Caution.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #443
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
I read more and more about people taking their AS trailer back to the factory. That sure doesn't speak well about AS service at other locations.

Also, our quality coming out of the factory is terrible, so why would I expect the factory to do a good job at service?

I wouldn't take my GM truck to the factory for a new engine, if required. I suspect a modern car is as or more complex as a travel trailer in components - just different ones.

Why should anyone incur the tremendous expense of travel to get good warranty work? That adds thousand to the true ownership costs.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #444

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
I read more and more about people taking their AS trailer back to the factory. That sure doesn't speak well about AS service at other locations.

73/gus
Like anything else there are good servicing dealers and those which are not. The big difference is that there are lots of auto dealers, but not Airstream dealers, so your chance of getting a bad one is a lot higher.

I wonder if Airstream has a good problem distribution system? For example the auto dealers send out bulletins on known problems, fixes etc. You know Airstream sends out things on major problems. But how 'bout things like repairs to cabinet drawers that won't stay shut? I've been into the dealer twice for this repair and I'm still plagued by drawers found open and extended after my best efforts to insure all of them are closed before departure.

In that case my first guess is that the dealer doesn't know why and to the owner, that the trip to Jackson Center may provide the ultimate fix.

While there are others on the forum with this specific problem, Airstream hasn't provided the dealerships with much of anything on this issue, so each dealership is guessing as to what the problem is and does their interpretation of what it will take to fix the problem. Some guess right and some guess wrong.

I would think that if the Jackson Center service center business is booming, I might be worried about the quality of service being provided by the dealership. The problem is that with the limited number of outlets for Airstream's, is Airstream management going to be as quality oriented in the service area of these dealers as the auto industry? Unfortunately they my gut feeling is that they tolerate a lot more of the marginal dealers due to the need to sell the product.

It would be interesting if they survey those having repairs or warranty work being done and ask why did the owner go there rather than to the dealer they purchased from. Hmm.....as a matter of fact I think I will start a poll on this one.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #445
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Like anything else there are good servicing dealers and those which are not. The big difference is that there are lots of auto dealers, but not Airstream dealers, so your chance of getting a bad one is a lot higher.

I wonder if Airstream has a good problem distribution system? For example the auto dealers send out bulletins on known problems, fixes etc. You know Airstream sends out things on major problems. But how 'bout things like repairs to cabinet drawers that won't stay shut? I've been into the dealer twice for this repair and I'm still plagued by drawers found open and extended after my best efforts to insure all of them are closed before departure.

In that case my first guess is that the dealer doesn't know why and to the owner, that the trip to Jackson Center may provide the ultimate fix.

While there are others on the forum with this specific problem, Airstream hasn't provided the dealerships with much of anything on this issue, so each dealership is guessing as to what the problem is and does their interpretation of what it will take to fix the problem. Some guess right and some guess wrong.

I would think that if the Jackson Center service center business is booming, I might be worried about the quality of service being provided by the dealership. The problem is that with the limited number of outlets for Airstream's, is Airstream management going to be as quality oriented in the service area of these dealers as the auto industry? Unfortunately they my gut feeling is that they tolerate a lot more of the marginal dealers due to the need to sell the product.

It would be interesting if they survey those having repairs or warranty work being done and ask why did the owner go there rather than to the dealer they purchased from. Hmm.....as a matter of fact I think I will start a poll on this one.

Jack
We have not yet had the vinyl floor in our trailer replaced that was damaged at the Airstream factory when it was being built.

My original intention from the time I bought the tailer was to return the trailer to an authorized Airstream dealer of my choice (and convenience) for this repair, as stipulated by Airstream's warranty policy. To minimize my incremental expense, I would prefer taking my trailer to the dealer closest to me (approximately 90 miles distance). As far as I am aware, however, neither that dealer, nor other Airstream dealers, do that type of repair, which involves removing a good portion of the interior cabinety, shower, etc.

When I discussed this repair with Dave Shumann, he said that I would have to incur the expense of one way transport of the trailer to Jackson Center (600 miles), and Airstream would pay for the other way transportation.

I interpreted Dave Shumann's demand that I return the trailer to Jackson Center as an implied threat - either I take the trailer to Jackson Center, or else the repair will not be done satisfactorily. I am still evaluating my options for this repair for which I have about 10 months remaining on my warranty.

I spent many years of my career in the auto/ag/construction industry, a significant portion of which directly involved product warranty and customer service. The company I worked for would never have treated its customers as poorly as I have been treated by Airstream. Many times we sent our company service people into the field to perform repairs, either at the customer's location or the closest dealership. Can you imagine how long Ford or GM woud stay in business if they told you to drive your car or truck back to Detroit to get you engine repaired?

John
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #446
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is an update on my 2004 Safari.

About 8 months before the warranty ran out (April/May of 2005), I had the dreaded form fill corrosion appearing on all four rims and both cast alum tail lights.

Airstream replaced all four rims and both cast alum tail lights among other things on my list when I was at the factory.

At the end of last season, I noticed that not only have the spider veins of corrosion returned to both areas, it now is in about a dozen locations around the body. Keep in mind, my unit stays inside in a quasi climate controlled garage, not on the bare concrete either. Unit is washed and Walbernized 2x a year and no bugs, bird turds, etc are allowed to say on the finish...they are quickly removed.

Conversations with support at Airstream suggested that I lightly sand the veins down and apply clear fingernail polish to it.

You can see some images here:

Airstream Issue

Asked what they thought the source was and got nothing.

Here are a few other things that should be noted:

Streetside wheel well was not caulked, leaked when in transit and wet out.
Balled up McDonald's breakfast sandwich wrapper shoved into the opening where the power from the battery entered the coach in the front under the sofa.

Now the wheel well, I fixed and the factory placed an extra shot of caulk in the area. The wrapper, no harm, no foul, bothered me to no end, but again, no harm, no foul.

This form fill corrosion though has me bent all out of shape. If this continues, my Safari will fit in real well in the next Spider Man movie!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-23-2007, 08:17 AM   #447
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This model year is near and dear to me as I have a 2004.

However, there may be issues that you should investigate on your unit. Details of the issue can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Old 06-14-2007, 10:33 PM   #448
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Angry Airstream Quality

WELL SILVERTWINKIE<><> YOU ASKED. SO PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE I VENT!!
A LITTLE HISTORY FIRST. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING IN THE AIR SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 19 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER
1) BOTH FRONT STONE GUARDS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.
2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.
3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN,REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.
4) PANTRY SLIDE OUT OFF TRACK, REPAIRED BUT FAILED WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. I JUST FELT THAT IF WE WANTED IT DONE RIGHT IT WAS BETTER TO DO THE REPAIRS UNDER MY OWN SUPERIVISION.
1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.
2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.
3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.
4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.
5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING. AGAIN FAILURE OCCURED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.
6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDIAN SHADE OVER SINK.
7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.
8) THREE LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY MISALIGNMENT CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.
9) STOVE IGNITER FAILURE
10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.
11) AGAIN HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR POWER INVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.
13) FRIDGE LAMP INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED
14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSSRY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP,SHADE,LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS. OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD. I NEVER RECIEVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILTY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERENCE!!!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote