Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #441
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
We won't consider or recommend another AS/Thor product until we hear of several years of good reports via this forum.

73/gus
We stopped overnight in Sheridan, Wyoming on our way here to Montana last week, and were parked beside a family that had an SOB 5th wheel made by Thor. The guy said it was just a year old. Last summer, he said an axle broke on the trailer during his summer vacation, his rubber roof had peeled off in front, and allowed water to pour into his trailer and destroy a number of cabinets, the inside walls, etc.

After getting those problems fixed last year, he said he just saw that the roof was coming off again, and he only had these 2 weeks for his summer vacation, so now he didn't know what to do! He said his trailer had been in for service for 70 days during this past year.

And I thought I had problems!

John
Old 07-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I purchased an additional year warranty coverage (3 years total) for my Dometic AC and frig, so I should be able to get the frig fixed.

Knowing what I know now about Airstream, I wouldn't have paid $40K+ for a new unit. I probably should have bought vintage unit for alot less and restored it.

I'll not discourage potential buyers from purchasing new Airstreams, but I will point out my experiences and recommend Caution.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 06:28 AM   #443
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
I read more and more about people taking their AS trailer back to the factory. That sure doesn't speak well about AS service at other locations.

Also, our quality coming out of the factory is terrible, so why would I expect the factory to do a good job at service?

I wouldn't take my GM truck to the factory for a new engine, if required. I suspect a modern car is as or more complex as a travel trailer in components - just different ones.

Why should anyone incur the tremendous expense of travel to get good warranty work? That adds thousand to the true ownership costs.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #444

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
I read more and more about people taking their AS trailer back to the factory. That sure doesn't speak well about AS service at other locations.

73/gus
Like anything else there are good servicing dealers and those which are not. The big difference is that there are lots of auto dealers, but not Airstream dealers, so your chance of getting a bad one is a lot higher.

I wonder if Airstream has a good problem distribution system? For example the auto dealers send out bulletins on known problems, fixes etc. You know Airstream sends out things on major problems. But how 'bout things like repairs to cabinet drawers that won't stay shut? I've been into the dealer twice for this repair and I'm still plagued by drawers found open and extended after my best efforts to insure all of them are closed before departure.

In that case my first guess is that the dealer doesn't know why and to the owner, that the trip to Jackson Center may provide the ultimate fix.

While there are others on the forum with this specific problem, Airstream hasn't provided the dealerships with much of anything on this issue, so each dealership is guessing as to what the problem is and does their interpretation of what it will take to fix the problem. Some guess right and some guess wrong.

I would think that if the Jackson Center service center business is booming, I might be worried about the quality of service being provided by the dealership. The problem is that with the limited number of outlets for Airstream's, is Airstream management going to be as quality oriented in the service area of these dealers as the auto industry? Unfortunately they my gut feeling is that they tolerate a lot more of the marginal dealers due to the need to sell the product.

It would be interesting if they survey those having repairs or warranty work being done and ask why did the owner go there rather than to the dealer they purchased from. Hmm.....as a matter of fact I think I will start a poll on this one.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:59 AM   #445
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Like anything else there are good servicing dealers and those which are not. The big difference is that there are lots of auto dealers, but not Airstream dealers, so your chance of getting a bad one is a lot higher.

I wonder if Airstream has a good problem distribution system? For example the auto dealers send out bulletins on known problems, fixes etc. You know Airstream sends out things on major problems. But how 'bout things like repairs to cabinet drawers that won't stay shut? I've been into the dealer twice for this repair and I'm still plagued by drawers found open and extended after my best efforts to insure all of them are closed before departure.

In that case my first guess is that the dealer doesn't know why and to the owner, that the trip to Jackson Center may provide the ultimate fix.

While there are others on the forum with this specific problem, Airstream hasn't provided the dealerships with much of anything on this issue, so each dealership is guessing as to what the problem is and does their interpretation of what it will take to fix the problem. Some guess right and some guess wrong.

I would think that if the Jackson Center service center business is booming, I might be worried about the quality of service being provided by the dealership. The problem is that with the limited number of outlets for Airstream's, is Airstream management going to be as quality oriented in the service area of these dealers as the auto industry? Unfortunately they my gut feeling is that they tolerate a lot more of the marginal dealers due to the need to sell the product.

It would be interesting if they survey those having repairs or warranty work being done and ask why did the owner go there rather than to the dealer they purchased from. Hmm.....as a matter of fact I think I will start a poll on this one.

Jack
We have not yet had the vinyl floor in our trailer replaced that was damaged at the Airstream factory when it was being built.

My original intention from the time I bought the tailer was to return the trailer to an authorized Airstream dealer of my choice (and convenience) for this repair, as stipulated by Airstream's warranty policy. To minimize my incremental expense, I would prefer taking my trailer to the dealer closest to me (approximately 90 miles distance). As far as I am aware, however, neither that dealer, nor other Airstream dealers, do that type of repair, which involves removing a good portion of the interior cabinety, shower, etc.

When I discussed this repair with Dave Shumann, he said that I would have to incur the expense of one way transport of the trailer to Jackson Center (600 miles), and Airstream would pay for the other way transportation.

I interpreted Dave Shumann's demand that I return the trailer to Jackson Center as an implied threat - either I take the trailer to Jackson Center, or else the repair will not be done satisfactorily. I am still evaluating my options for this repair for which I have about 10 months remaining on my warranty.

I spent many years of my career in the auto/ag/construction industry, a significant portion of which directly involved product warranty and customer service. The company I worked for would never have treated its customers as poorly as I have been treated by Airstream. Many times we sent our company service people into the field to perform repairs, either at the customer's location or the closest dealership. Can you imagine how long Ford or GM woud stay in business if they told you to drive your car or truck back to Detroit to get you engine repaired?

John
Old 04-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #446
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here is an update on my 2004 Safari.

About 8 months before the warranty ran out (April/May of 2005), I had the dreaded form fill corrosion appearing on all four rims and both cast alum tail lights.

Airstream replaced all four rims and both cast alum tail lights among other things on my list when I was at the factory.

At the end of last season, I noticed that not only have the spider veins of corrosion returned to both areas, it now is in about a dozen locations around the body. Keep in mind, my unit stays inside in a quasi climate controlled garage, not on the bare concrete either. Unit is washed and Walbernized 2x a year and no bugs, bird turds, etc are allowed to say on the finish...they are quickly removed.

Conversations with support at Airstream suggested that I lightly sand the veins down and apply clear fingernail polish to it.

You can see some images here:

Airstream Issue

Asked what they thought the source was and got nothing.

Here are a few other things that should be noted:

Streetside wheel well was not caulked, leaked when in transit and wet out.
Balled up McDonald's breakfast sandwich wrapper shoved into the opening where the power from the battery entered the coach in the front under the sofa.

Now the wheel well, I fixed and the factory placed an extra shot of caulk in the area. The wrapper, no harm, no foul, bothered me to no end, but again, no harm, no foul.

This form fill corrosion though has me bent all out of shape. If this continues, my Safari will fit in real well in the next Spider Man movie!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:17 AM   #447
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This model year is near and dear to me as I have a 2004.

However, there may be issues that you should investigate on your unit. Details of the issue can be found here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #448
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Angry Airstream Quality

WELL SILVERTWINKIE<><> YOU ASKED. SO PLEASE BE PATIENT WHILE I VENT!!
A LITTLE HISTORY FIRST. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING IN THE AIR SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 19 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER
1) BOTH FRONT STONE GUARDS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.
2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.
3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN,REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.
4) PANTRY SLIDE OUT OFF TRACK, REPAIRED BUT FAILED WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP.

NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. I JUST FELT THAT IF WE WANTED IT DONE RIGHT IT WAS BETTER TO DO THE REPAIRS UNDER MY OWN SUPERIVISION.
1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.
2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.
3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.
4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.
5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING. AGAIN FAILURE OCCURED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.
6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDIAN SHADE OVER SINK.
7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.
8) THREE LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY MISALIGNMENT CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.
9) STOVE IGNITER FAILURE
10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.
11) AGAIN HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR POWER INVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.
13) FRIDGE LAMP INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED
14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSSRY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP,SHADE,LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS. OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD. I NEVER RECIEVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILTY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERENCE!!!!
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #449
3 Rivet Member

TV Antenna bracket came off

All,

Was doing wash and wax job this weekend and noticed the bracket the Antenna sits on was a 'little' loose. It was bonded on with the white sealant Airstream had smeared around the vent openings. It did not appear to bond well with the bracket -- Bracket is bare aluminum and it was stuck onto the painted top. I could not easily remove the sealant, so I moved the bracket over a little bit and used silkaflex.

It was just hanging by a thread.

You might want to check yours, next time you are up on a ladder.

04 28 Safari LS

-RobH
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #450
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Ah, that finally happened to you too?

The last post caught my attention. I'd almost forgotten about the quality tracking thread on the 04's.

My antenna bracket separated from the roof within the first 6 months of ownership. Like yours, mine had the white sealing gunk, and very little of it. While washing the roof one weekend my bracket was blown off by the stream of water from the hose while rinsing. And no, I didn't have a high pressure washer, just a standard hose. Wow!

I too resealed it. Very surprising at how poorly it was affixed to my Airstream.

Overall I've been happy with the quality of my 04'. I've had a few issues that have been minor.

Due to vibration the pilot pipe in my stove severed! That was the worst.

Many of the PLASTIC brackets used to hold my counter and closets in place have shattered. Very cheap light plastic, and they all cracked. Had to redo brackets myself in one closet, my entire kitchen counter area. Also, my stove was not screwed into the counter at the time of purchase. That was addressed by my dealer. The stove slid part way out on my 3rd trip with the trailer. Whoops!

Everything else has been pretty good!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:47 PM   #451
3 Rivet Member

Well, mine had probably a 3/8 inch thick glob about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long -- looked like at least half a tube smeared under there. Like I said, it was stuck real well to the painted top, and none of it stuck and remained on the bracket. I tried prying it up so the bracket could go back where Airstream had it...and saw it would take way too much elbow grease.

Yours only had a little bit, mine had way too much,and they both failed -- I suspect it just did not bond to the bare aluminum.

-R
Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #452
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Any other year have these issues?

I wonder if any other "recent" Airstreams have had similar issues. It was too funny the day I was washing the roof. I turned the hose toward the front of the trailer from the rear (just scooting water off the roof) and my little antenna bracket went swooshing off the roof along with the water. Whoops!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #453

Fenton , Missouri
Well we are a little over 3 1/2 years since delivery. The problems were:

1. Water pump had bad check valve which caused fresh water tank to fill while we were connected to city water. Replaced pump.

2. Shower leak around the drip frame (took 2 visits to stop).

3. Front pocket door was scratched by screw used to secure refrigerator. Door replaced screw fixed.

4. Kitchen drawers won't stay closed on less than smooth roads (never could fix this).

5. Skylight over the center bath leaked (removed and resealed).

6. Dirty curtains in slide out area (curtains replaced).

7. Cord broken on window shade (dealer restrung).

8. Skylight over the front of the trailer leaked (crack in skylight. replaced)

9. Mirror behind dinette came loose (was secured by double stick tape. Replaced tape).

10. Small spot of clear coat popped near top of side panel at center of trailer. Spot is half the size of a dime. (Noted to dealer under warranty). I covered with automotive clear coat. No further deterioration.

11. Air conditioner shroud started cracking at the screw holes just after Airstream warranty ended.

All items addressed under warranty except items 8 and 9 which were on my own nickel and occurred after warranty was up. On #10 the fix had more risk than me addressing the problem. Noted in dealers file in case there was a further spread. Item #11 occurred after the Airstream warranty ended. Duo-Therm provides a 3 year warranty with the 3rd year being parts only. In contacting Duo-Therm, they noted that the 3rd year parts warranty does not cover the shroud. Interestingly enought they noted that shrouds are only covered for 6 months, although Airstream would have backed this item for the first two years. Also noted that the shroud exclusion wasn't listed in any of my warranty documentation.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #454
3 Rivet Member

Jack -- have not been around the forums much lately-- went to the 2004 Moraine View rally and met you...we have two daughters and the animated flamigos...

Airstream left plastic over the carpet under the queen bed, under the L-couch, and in the back hatch. Eventually, moisture got trapped in there and started to cause a moldy smell. We took it out and the problem went away...dunno if your classic had the stuff in the hatch areas.

The batteries are starting to give out -- one of them uses a lot more water than the other, and I suspect it has been marginal since new. As I never camp without hookups, thinking of replacing the pair of 24's with one larger one just to simplify things. Just need it to power the jack and to supply emergency brakes if it gets loose.

Water heater has been making a somewhat unhappy noise while it is doing its thing -- cleaned out the pipes looking for spider webs, and tried adjusting the tube back and forth. Best I can describe it as a vibration as the gas goes through the valve. Actually happened when we were in Branson...Color of the flame does not look quite right.

Probably the one thing that really bothered me was the intermittent brake problem that took three trips to the mothership to fix. I and Airstream blamed the Prodigy brake controller at first, and it turned out to be a loose wire. I was always wondering if my last stop would be my last with working trailer brakes...they never completely failed. Finally went up on a Friday and duplicated it with a technician using my truck and then his truck, and he kept looking until he found it. We were both excited when he found it.

Have not really had problems with the clear coat yet. Until recently, it was parked under a big ash (and a big a**ed) tree all the time. We just had a new concrete drive put in, and we gave it a new home next to the attached garage.

We have had great success in using it as a guest house. We have also had it on several vactions and many weekend trips, mostly within an hour of home.

It still looks pretty new. It still kind of smells new inside. Once the intiial problems ironed out, it has been 'fire and forget.'

Just looked at the 2007 Safaris at airstream.com, and saw the 28 W LS's must be pushing 60K -- glad we got it when we did. Wish ours had vista view windows, though.

Overall, we are happy. Just wish we had more time to enjoy it.

Someday we will make it back to Moraine View...

-Rob
Old 07-03-2007, 07:44 AM   #455

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohne
Jack -- have not been around the forums much lately-- went to the 2004 Moraine View rally and met you...we have two daughters and the animated flamigos...
-Rob
Rob hope to see you there in the future.

Our plastic is still down. No problem with mold or any smells though. If the vista views were available on the 2004, I would have forgone the front skylight. For the center bath though, I'd keep that one. Would have loved to get a trailer with disc brakes also, although we are ok with the current electric drums. My batteries are marginal at this time. I'll probaby replace them next season. Next season is tire time also since they will hit the magical 5 year mark.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 07-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #456
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My trailer is only a few months younger than Jacks. I went to Jackson Center and had the punch list ironed out. Here is what I encountered with my unit:

- Leak. Traced it by to the curbside wheel well. No caulk, factory caulked it.

- Windows do not seal (the cheap hehr windows). Factory gave me weather stripping to install. Never did the job and windows continue to leak cool, heat and sound.

- Tank sensors wouldn't work. Then had 2 controllers have LEDs burn out. Factory replaced control panel and recalibrated unit.

- Corrosion on cast alum tail lights and all 4 rims. Factory replaced and balanced. Corroision now rampant all over body and again on all four rims and both cast alum tail lights.

- Roof lockers didn't seem fully secured. Factory provided and installed additional screws into body to secure roof lockers better.

- Front dinette seat coming off from wall. Factory re-tightened and added a few extra screws to hold it in place.

- Larger front streetside glass in window was loose. Factory re-glased it using caulk and did come out fine.

- Dump valve handles broke off. Factory replaced.

- Power hitch jack kept blowing fuses when fully retracted. Factory fixed it, but it returned.

- Chrome trim at bottom rivet line delaminating. Factory replaced chrome strips.

- Wheel bearing recall done at factory.

- 2 interior lights had parts loose inside and one was partially inoperable. Factory repaired/replaced as needed.

New development over the past year:

Besides the corrosion issue as mentioned above, I noticed that when I walk over the floor where the tanks are over the axle, I get a groaning sound, like the tanks are moving.

Also something in the axles are squeeking when walking in the trailer and loud rattling can be heard when towing over bumps.

All in all, I'd have to give my 2004 Airstream a 4 or 5 out of a possible 10 in overall satisfaction, quality of build and value for the money. The ony higher marks I would give Airstream is in their employee areas. They are friendly and so long as you are under warranty, accessible.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #457
3 Rivet Member

Water Heater sensor

Earlier, I posted that the water heater for my 2004 Safari 28W was not making happy sounds...

I was testing the water heater out this morning, and it was still making the hissing sound like the valve was vibrating. I was looking at the flame, and noticed the heat-sensing thermalcouple was glowing a bit. I then looked harder...

The thermalcouple is not a straight rod, but is a loop of wire (I assume). The loop is broken in the middle. Can someone comfirm with their 2004 that the loop is not suppossed to be broken in the middle -- I strongly suspect not. I do not think there are two thermalcouples there as there is only one wire from the sensor to the PC board...so the loop should be continuous...

Thanks in advance!

-RobH
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #458
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm picking up the Safari today and will check. The only problem is that I won't have web access after I get to it. I'll post what I find on Monday.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #459
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Also something in the axles are squeeking when walking in the trailer and loud rattling can be heard when towing over bumps.
The floor in my 2004 squeeks and creaks like it needs a heavy shot of WD-40, or something stronger. Dave Schumann walked on it and said there was no problem.

Originally, the most noise sounded whenever I walked in front of the refrigerator, and I assumed that this was intentionally put there as a result of Airstream's 75+ year's of experience, and was a sort of alarm to notify my wife whenever I got up during the night for a "refrigerator raid".

Later, the noise moved back a foot or so in our trailer to the bath area, which I believe is also over the holding tanks.

Last year when I returned our trailer to Jackson Center for the 5th time in a series of repairs, the service technician told me that one edge of a plywood sheet had not been secured to the frame. He said he put some screws in it (not bolted through the frame, however) which seemed to help for a short time, but now the noise is back with a vengence (screws, not bolts are also part of Airstream's design experience, I suppose.)

John
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #460
3 Rivet Member

Water Heater fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I'm picking up the Safari today and will check. The only problem is that I won't have web access after I get to it. I'll post what I find on Monday.
Twink,

Thanks for your quick offer of help!-- turns out the thing I was looking at was the ignitor (ran home from work during lunch) -- no thermocouple in the burner area...the gap I saw was as designed.

I took the tube apart and noted no problems. Unscrewed the orifice from the gas valve. It looked OK, but I cleaned it anyway. Put everything back together, and it is working like a champ. Must of dislodged the problem when I took it apart, be it in the tube or orifice.

-RobH