Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 PM   #295
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That was pretty much what happend to us. It was the "Airstream" mat and the fire extinguisher. The dealer told me it didn't come with either...I particularly found that not having a fire supression device seemed a bit odd.

Sure enough, a call to Airstream and we had the stuff out to use as if it were yesterday. I can't believe some dealers.

Eric

Old 04-03-2004, 05:40 AM   #296
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Dealers...

You are not kidding, Eric. When I told my dealer I was going to call AS to confirm the sink cover, after he tried to convenice me it was not included, he said oh, no, I'll do that and call you back. Meanwhile I sent the e-mail to AS. He called me back within minutes telling I was right and that it is being sent to me. He knew all along........Hum.....do I want these people working on my trailer. The "saleman" that delivered it to me wanted to talk more about himself than my trailer. Asked him where the hot water heater bypass is and he looked at me like I was from Mars. He told me it did not have one! Looked through the manual last night and found it. I knew it was there somewhere...

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 07:43 AM   #297
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The dealer here in Illinois, not only told me what I said above, but told me the fresh water tank was located under the rear bed (on the 19' Bambi), that the fan on the fridge that was broken would still work if he snapped the blades back on.....when we made the decision to upgrade, we included him in the 3 dealers we were shopping. He got really pissy about being shopped and was kind of rude. Also, when we were there, the service staff that installed the hitch system were very nice, but I kept hearing them complain under their breath that they had to stay beyond 5pm (till about 5:45pm) to finish the job...made us a bit uncomfortable--esp since we just plunked down $25k. Later a forum member here went down to visit his dealership. Well, he had a CCD there and this person was smart enough to write down the serial number. A few months later, this same person went to the RV show in Chicago...this dealer was there. So the person asked the dealer, is this the same unit I saw a while ago (it had some repair fixes--not good mind you, that he noticed was wrong with the unit back when he saw it). The dealer exclaimed, and I think this is an accurate quote..."No! We've sold lots of these since you were down to see me!" So the guy writes down the serial number of the unit at the show.....you can prob guess that the serial numbers matched!! It was the same unit!! The dealer was again caught in a lie! So my thing is that anyone in the tri state area or beyond that wants to deal with the dealer here in Illinois.....do so at your own risk, they are used car salespeople, very nice people, but total used car mentality. To be frank, they also didn't know squat about the product...now I know that back in January of '03 they were a new dealer for Airstream, so that might be part of the issue, but the second exp a year later from another forum member still had me shaking my head. Sounds like you might have something similar where you are Paul.

Our new Safari we bought from the dealer in Ohio- Paul Sherry. Price was the lowest of all three and they delivered the coach to us (due to some snafu that was resolved). Overall it was a good exp. Some after the sale questions got kind of blown off, but in the end the factory took care of it as they always do. Nothing but good exp when dealing with the factory. There is a dealer in Iowa who I worked with that I liked as they acted professional throughout the whole process, even after they didn't get the business..it was Ace Fogdall. I had some interaction with George Sutton RV...very stand up type of guy, and a good website....I have also had an email conversation and heard things from forum members about Colonial Airstream....also seem very good and a great website as well.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:39 PM   #298
3 Rivet Member

...update on goonybird...

Our punch list contained 15 items, and I told them they could take their time as we could not use the AS for a couple of weeks -- they really started digging through the list this week...

The Heat pump was described as a short circuit -- they have fixed it -- I bet a capacitor had shorted out -- a common failure mode. I will get more detail later -- pack a 3-amp fuse with you -- it can take out your ability to even run the propane furnace...

They are down to two things -- the galley backsplash had a tool mark when a drill hit it at the factory, and the striped pattern on the cushions on the dinette was cattywhompis.

Turns out they are having trouble matching the fabric between lots, so I am assuming the delay might be re-upolstering the dinette. The backsplash is going to be a remove and replace, and they said that was going to take a while, too -- three or four more sorking days...

-Rob

The rest of the list was comparitively minor.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #299
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Glad to hear it's going well. Keep us updated.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:10 PM   #300
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
My new 30' Classic is supposed to be coming off the production line the week after next I believe, getting down to the end of the line as far as the 2004 Models. I'm getting it from Turner's Airstream in Jenette, PA the end of this month. I hope mine is a nice as what some of you experienced on your new Classics.

One thing that does concern me though, that I haven't heard much mention about, is the 45 degree angle cuts on the cabinet corners. In most of the Airstreams I looked at in shows earlier this year, it looked to me like whoever cuts and puts their cabinets together must have been cutting the 45 degrees corner pieces by freehand, since many of the cabinets had rather noticeable gaps where the corners come together --kind of like how some of our local Amish and Mennonites build houses around this part of the country -- without miters and squares and levels sometimes.

In any case, I'll be sure to post my Quality experiences here for you'll (I used to live in the South!).

John
Old 04-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #301

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just got back from our first trip with the new Classic. It was a rally at the dealer's so lots of help for all attendees.

We got parked Wednesday and upon attaching to city water I immediately had to start closing valves. The dealer winterized the trailer and left the plug out of the water heater and the hot and cold drain valves under the trailer were left open. Once I got that closed up we soon saw some water dripping from the light fixture that is over the sewer termination cap. Apparently a fitting that attached the water line to the hot water tank was not tight. A quick fix there. We also found a dirty curtain with the wrong velcro tab. Hooks do not attach to hooks. Oh well that's on order. The shower door leaked at the bottom. A caulk job was done, door still leaks. Looks like this is something I will have to fix myself. Seems to be where my luck fails. My last 3 trailers (2 Airstreams) have now all had shower leak problems. I'm puzzled as to why no one is able to get this right. My dealer and Airstream at Jackson Center never were able to get my 2001 Safari door right. I got it 99% sealed by doing it myself but still got the occasional drip from the bottom of the door frame.

Final problem which I didn't discover till I got home. Looks like the check valve on the water pump is not working well. I left home with any empty fresh water tank. I used city water for 5 days and returned home with a fresh water tank slightly less than half full. I'll get this checked out when the replacement curtain comes in.

We started out using the heat pump for warmth Wednesday night. After an unexpected heat wave hit Saturday (90 degrees) we changed over to air conditioning. Wow that 15K air conditioner upgrade was a smart choice.

We blew the 30 amp breaker on the dealers power box. Looks like with water heater on electric, microwave and air conditioner all on together we are pulling more than 30 amps...

Pulled back in heavy cross winds today. Gusts up to 40 mph. Equalizer hitch held the Classic rock solid behind my van. I'm very impressed.

All and all I'm happy. Probably my only bone of contention is that shower door issue. I'm just tired of this being a constant thorn in my side.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:36 AM   #302
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Excellent discussion and details Jack. Glad to hear most all is working out well.

Fully agree on the 15k AC/HP. Wonderful addition. We use the HP for most of our heating.

We also kicked out breakers as you describe, but I measured low voltage when it happened. Haven't had that problem on this trip when staying at the better RV parks.

Interesting on your door. Our door is very hard to open and close, but we have had no leaks. The bottom hinge pin works its way up when pulling the trailer. Doesn't seem to be directly related to the door oprning and closing. We hammer the pin back in a couple of times a day when pulling.

Our shower door also leaked, and we are now finding a small amount of water at the base of the wood outside the shower. North Dallas RV stopped the leak at the base on the right side facing the door.

We've have a new problem that other 2004 owners might want to watch for. The grove holding the steps has deformed so that the steps no longer remain in place. They shift to one side when you step on them. On ours, the bottom section of the rear track metal is bent inward. At first, we thought something might have hit it, but there is no damage to any part of the step mechanism. So the metal there may be a bit too weak.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #303
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Maiden Voyage

Took the Bambi out for my first trip this weekend. It was swell! WBCCI annual maintenance rally. I learned so much about my trailer.

The Bambi performed beyond expectations. Let's face it, people made it, so there must be something wrong.....

Checked all water lines before I filled-up the first time. Everything worked like a dream. Small leak under the galley sink. Turned the elbow, seems to have stopped.

Fridge fan too loud. Read other posts about this, so not surprised. Will have to work on doing something about that.

Was really impressed with the room in the shower. Thought it looked kinda small, but not so! And the retracting door is a nice feature.

The galley sink needs to be larger. I knew that going in, confirmed this weekend. The faucet is larger than the sink.

Great unit! The whole experience affirmed my decision to spend the bucks on the Airstream.

Finally, check out your local WBCCI. Great people!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #304

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott
Interesting on your door. Our door is very hard to open and close, but we have had no leaks. The bottom hinge pin works its way up when pulling the trailer. Doesn't seem to be directly related to the door oprning and closing. We hammer the pin back in a couple of times a day when pulling.
Gus, no problems on our entry/exit door. Mine are entirely with the shower door.

I think Andy of Inland RV has noted that hinge pins moving is a symptom of excess vibration due to tire/wheel balance. I had one pin which moved on the Safari but I only needed to reseat it once or twice a year. I'm not sure how high that pin on your trailer moves but to me, a couple of times a day would seem excessive.

In regards to the breaker blowing, I did glance over at my A/C voltage detector just prior to the breaker poping and did notice that we were in a low voltage situation.

Thanks for the alert on the steps. I'll keep an eye out for this.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:07 PM   #305
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, I dewinterized the Safari last weekend. Found my first issue and not really the end of the world either. 1) I think I need to go through the calibrating process (yuck..gotta read a book!) as a few of the tanks read wrong. 2) One of the green LEDs on the display is totally dead.

After I figure out the calibration thing, if that fixes the readings as they are way off, I may contact Airstream and send them this display panel for either repair or replacement as it hardly seems difficult to swap. Also easier to do it that way rather than lug the coach all over creation. If calibration doesn't fix the tank levels (for example, black tank less than 1/4 full, yet registers 5/8 full), then I may bring it to the service center after this summers use.

Still, very pleased with this unit so far....almos time to start a new 2005 thread!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #306
3 Rivet Member

Silvertwinkie,

The level indicators are pressure sensors inside a plug that is hollow. I think fluid stays in the hollow plug, making an empty tank look about 1/8 full. The column weight of water is the same if the tank has some water in it, or if the plug has an ounce of water in it, if the water is at the same level as the top of the plug.

After I dumped my grey/black tank, I thought I had not done it right -- it indicated almost a fourth -- a couple of days later, the water had evaporated, and it read empty...

At least that is what I thought was going on...during the tour, the guide showed us the new sensor they said would be much more durable and accurate than the old, and I took a good look at it...

If this is really the probem, AS could drill little holes at the base of the sensor to drain it -- they would probably plug up, giving inconsistent behavior, though...

Tell us what you find out...

-Rob
Old 04-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #307
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Here's where I'm at:

Black tank when far less than half full registers near full on the display. When I dump the black tank, the display shows fully empty.

The grey tank fits what you say, since new, it has always registerd up to the second green LED upon being totally empty and sitting for now 4 days. It also seems to register full at least 8-10 gallons before it's full.

The power never gets to the top full reading. I talked with Jack and his is the same way. Not sure if this is an issue or not.

The fresh water tank seems to be the best one of all of them. When empty, it is empty (within 5 gallons). When the display states full, I can ususally still fit 8-10 gallons in it. I know this because I fill the tank with one of those water filters that only allows 2.5 gallons per minute and it took the tank 4 or 5 more minutes to overflow after the display light indicated full.

IMO, the black is the worst, but I can get a visual on it. The other two, I could live with. The burned out or failed LED is kind of annoying, but again, none of this I would rate as a severe issue as I have had in the past.

I'll update more as I know it.

Eric
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 AM   #308
3 Rivet Member

...sounds farther off than mine...by a lot.

The power indication is somewhat proprotional to ambient air temperature in mine -- the warmer the batteries, the higher it is, given identical specific gravity readings.

When it was near zero, the power said about 5/8. When warm to about 60, it read 7/8. I have not seen it heated in the 70's as it is still at the mothership (Jackson Center).

I am surprised the calibration on your tanks is not closer -- those sensors are just variable resistors, if I recall...my hope is there are pots with tiny screws on them you use for calibration...

I alos noticed that one battery is not quite the same as the other WRT specific gravity...it is not far off, but they are not quite the same.

I have not filled the fresh water tank yet...the grey/black tanks seems to read OK...

-R