Old 02-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #281
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Hmmm .. the link is working for me ...

Tinsel ...

Lancaster is out in the High Desert ... near Edwards AFB ... use to be a small town ... but really boomed in the 80s and 90s.

The Escapade will be held at the new Fairgrounds ... lots of seminars and vendors ... should be a lot of fun.

They have 3 camping options ... pure boondocking ... boondocking with generators ... and boondocking with limited electric. We chose the electric option.

Come join us!

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:44 PM   #282
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Porky,

It sounds really tempting. I will have to get the map out as I too have not heard of Lancaster, Ca. (I at first thought you were talking PA, duh) But desert in spring is the best.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #283
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Talking The end of the model year.....

Well folks, it looks as if the 2004 production year is starting to come to a close. Within about 60 days (give or take a few weeks) 2005s should start to show themselves rolling out the factory doors.

To me, it's been very clear that 2004 was a good year for overall quality compared to 2003...to me particularly a very noted improvement.

For all that have participated in helping all of us out this model year....thanks....to those that still may take delivery of a 2004, please post your observations as you all will be near the start of what's to come for 2005.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #284
3 Rivet Member

Heat Pump/AC/Furnace Thermostat down...

All,

Went camping a couple of weeks ago, and all major systems worked -- was about 60 degrees a couple of weekends ago...

Thermostat was fine...

Went out Tues. to AS to turn furnace on, as I was going to put new matress pad bot from camping world. Clicked switch to ON on thermostat, and nothing came up -- no display on the lcd.

Did a fair amount of troubleshooting, to no avail. Appeared that thermostat was not getting any power, based on DMM probes.

Contacted the mothership (Jackson Center) and tech told me that there is a power converter in the AC unit up on the roof. He advised me to take the shroud off the AC, take the cover off the power converter, and examine a fuse in there.

As I am a big, clumsy guy, I asked if 240 pounds was too much for roof -- tech assured me that I would be fine if I stay on the ribs...

I will do this on Saturday...my plan is to back the AS up closer to my roof, and crawl onto the house roof and then onto AS that way, so not have to worry about ladder leaning up against pristine Aluminum...just have to worry about my fat *ss going through roof skin...

-Rob

Will let all know how it goes...
Old 03-11-2004, 08:08 AM   #285
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've heard that as long as you stay on the rivetline you'll be OK. Never done it, so don't hold me to it.

One thing I do recall clearly is the fact that you don't want to place any weight on the end caps- NONE as the do dent fairly easy.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:13 AM   #286
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Rob, before you go and try this, I just looked at a map of where you are compared to the factory.

You are literally a stones throw away (compared to most of us) . Why not let them do it. They have all the gear, the roof access rafters, plus if it it is a fuse, do you already have the part? Also if you did have the fuse, I'd also like to know why it blew...could be a larger problem and you have a warranty.

Have you checked the circuit breakers on the power converter on the floor yet?

Heck, if I were that close, I'd prob get a part time job at the factory.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #287
3 Rivet Member

ahh...the logistics...

I know I am close to the mothership -- but it is an hour each direction, with an hour getting it dropped off and hitching and unhitching -- there are other cosmetic issues that need dealt with, but we wanted to wait until we had a couple more trips on it before we take it in for the warranty work, and then another three hours picking it back up, after the repair...

They indicated they were more than happy to fix it real quick...but I think I can get it fixed in less than 45 minutes or so, and I made it clear I was unafraid of performing the operation or crawling up there to do it...used to fix airplanes, and have a couple EE degrees...so they told me where to look for the fuse...if it is still INOP after the fuse fix, then I will take it to JC because the converter might be horked -- if I get power on that circuit, then I will have them send me a new climate control via mail...because at that point, it is the climate control (thermostat) or the wire...

Besides, if this happens again, then I will be prepared to get it going again while on a extended trip without it costing me a day at a service facility...I like to be capable of DIY for systems-level stuff...because the AC will not work with the thermostat FOOBAR.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:00 AM   #288
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Rob,

Before you get on your house roof to get on your AS roof extend the awning out and put an air matress out. Also, have your wife ready with a video camera so that when you roll off your house roof, across the trailer you'll be gently caressed by the awning and plopped right down on the mattress. I'm about the same weight as you and I'd be nervous climbing up there. Good luck with the the fix, at least it's not a frying pan on the roof yet like it will be this summer.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #289
3 Rivet Member

Old 03-13-2004, 05:04 PM   #290
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Talking Thanks for the great information

Hi all. I'm new to the forum (first post), and I thought I'd start off here! I've been reading for months (just joined today), and the 04' quality list has been extremely informative and a great assistance!

My wife and I have been looking into purchasing an Airstream (25 Safari SS) since last fall. We're almost ready to jump off and get one. Fortunately, we have two dealers a few hours apart, and they each have what we like.

I wanted to thank everyone on this particular thread for all of the information you've provided on what has been good, and what has been a problem. You've given me a lot to work with while looking over the Airstreams, and I'm very grateful for all of your help.

Even with reports of problems it seems very clear to me that picking an Airstream for what we'd like to do is the best way to go. Thanks so much for the time you took to share with those of us on "the edge" of the Airstream community!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:22 AM   #291
3 Rivet Member

...on the edge...

Backed Gooneybird real close to the roof of my garage. Got on roof and saw it was a very easy transition to the white part of the roof, and a place where a circumferential and lateral rivet line crossed. Took a 3 foot step right onto Gooneybird without any problems...and I do not really like heights...Height change was about 4 inches...was not scary at all...if it was, I would not have done it.

(Disconnected 120 volt power and changed battery switch to 'store')

Took the Air Conditioner cover off (4 self-tapping #10 screws, #2 phillips screwdriver)) and found the power converter cover (curbside, front). It was taped down with some foam tape about an inch high. Unscrewed two (5/16 wrench) self tapping screws, and carefully slit foam stuff to lift the cover. Found a 3-amp automotive fuse at bottom front of circuit board. Pulled it and found it was blown. (had the cover upside down, with 15 pound tool bag on it to keep it from blowing away)

Did not have 3-amp fuse, so went to auto parts store for one. Came back and put good 3-amp fuse in it.

Crawled back down and powered up 120 volts and 12 volt batteries.

Thermostat still did not power up. Disconnected 120 volts and put batteries back to 'Store')

Went back on roof, and smelled something...

Got to it and noted the odor of a bad capacitor...those who have smelled them before know what they smell like...

Fuse was blown again, and there was an odor around the power center of the unit -- could have been a blown IC, but it sure smelled more like a capacitor...could be both. Pulled bad 3-amp fuse and left the fuse out of the circuit...

When we went camping for the first time in it, it was over 60 degrees that Sunday -- on Saturday, I heated with the furnace to test it. On Sunday, I switched it to the heat pump.

It kept the place warm in the morning, and ran fine...

As the day warmed up, I kept thinking, that the heat pump should still be going...but it seemed warm inside and I did not think nothing else of it. During the day, I remember shutting the thermostat OFF, but I do not recall actually looking at it --

At any rate, that is when I think it failed, and I did not notice it until I tried to use the furnace about a week later...

So, I did not avoid the trip back to Jackson Center...

-R
Old 03-15-2004, 09:49 AM   #292
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, you gave it beyond a shot. I know what those things smell like too, it's hard to mistake it.

Say hi to the gang at JC when you go. Sorry to hear that it was not an easy fix.

I'll PM you a few offline things too.....

Eric
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #293
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Well,

I just brought my baby home from the coast after three and a half weeks (I commuted). How's that for a shakedown trip? I kept thinking I would find something wrong with the quality. I mean there is no way there can be NOTHING wrong, in the entire trailer. Dam if I could find it and look I did. Everything works, fits, and looks great. I mean EVERYTHING. The only thing wrong with the design is that the A-frame storage box door hits the generator plug-in. So I have to tell all those ordering units right now, it's a great time at the factory. They are "on the money" and "in a groove." It's been one of those rare fantastic life experiences for me!

I love my trailer so much that I am despretly trying to figure out how to get rid of my apartment, put everything in storage and live in it full time. It would be such a joy to come home every night to my A/S. Ahhh, what joy.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #294
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Small glitch....

Picked up the Bambi on Wednesday. Out there tonight measuring things...

While measuring the top of the stove, I noticed the unit was not flush with the cabinetry. It was slipping out. Got the installation manual and noted that NONE of the 6 screws used to set the unit where installed. Sent an e-mail to AS asking for them. The four used to set the top are visiable, so I assume they baked on enamel on them. Don't want to try to find them at the hardware.

Tomorrow morning will go over everything as carefully as possible. Oh, and need to clean it.....

Sent AS an e-mail today because the unit was delivered without a sink cover and the dealer was trying to imply that is was not suppose to come with one. Small thing, but in a small galley, that cover is a lot of the prep space! AS responded so quickly! They called me at work instead of by e-mail. It was GREAT! They confirmed the sink cover should have been with my unit. It is on its way to me now...

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote