Old 10-07-2003, 12:59 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
My first suggestion at this point would be to contact Airstream directly.
Done, we exchange emails with Riegel the president weekly. He spoke with our dealer and they're trying to solve everything for us, but after having left Titan there for over a week and picking him up with still many of the same problems and some ugly repairs we lost some faith.

Also, after how AS let our unit out of the factory we feel very little confidence in leaving them Titan for repairs. Unless it's something we absolutely can't figure out ourselves. Then maybe that will justify the 40hrs of driving.

The dealer has some parts in order for us. We love Titan and want him at his best so as soon as we get the parts we'll fix him up and pamper him

You can't learn if you don't stick your hands right in the problem.

Certainly hope you're luckier Eric! All the best!

Old 10-07-2003, 02:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Stabilizer on LP Line

Here's something everybody should check. The LP line on our new 16CCD was riding on our curbside front stabilizer jack. We have notified AS and they indicate that this will be addressed by production immeadiately. Please check your units.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2003, 02:40 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a fairly significant issue. I wonder what they are going to do with the units that are out there......

As for the quality improving in '04, the jury is still out on that one. I know Jack and I both have units slated for production in late November, early December so I know I will keep you all posted as I am sure Jack will have comments and observations as well.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread. Please keep it coming. The only way to help the process at Jackson Center is to document like crazy the info we are all posting here.

At this point, Jackson Center has clearly said they hear us and that they are working on it. This thread will hopefully show how well they are doing on that front.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 03:12 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

SilverTwinkie:
I hope AS checks with every recent AS that has come out of the factory. I know of one other 16CCD that has had the same problem. That intensifies my concern and prompts me to post the picture. Thanks, L.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:20 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I totally agree MaShep. I am totally taken back by the fact that they could have engineered it this way.

I too wonder what they are gonna do with the units out on the road. This has the potential of putting folks in a VERY bad situation being that it's is an issue with LP gas and coppers ease of bend and possible rupture in that area. I might even be as bold to use the "R" word here.... (recall).

I am keeping the faith, but I have to admit when I see things as obvious as this and the Kimili story, it does make me a bit uneasy. Then I read about the same number of folks that have no issues at all on this thread. To be honest, it sound like '03 all over again, but as I said the jury is still out.

I am going to check my lines when I get home tonight as my HWH is in the rear and the '03 Bambi also has standard those same stabilizer jacks back there and let you all know what I find. I do seem to recall looking back there and being as excessive compulsive as I can be, I am sure I would have freaked out of I had seen something like that.

Regards,

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-07-2003, 03:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Wow MaShep!
Now you got us worried. Will drive there tomorrow and check!!!!

After reading all the QA post on this forum I'm really starting to believe that there must be a number of different teams that assemble our babies. Some are great and some are really careless!! It all depends on who's on shift that day! Good luck Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 03:36 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Thanks, I didn't want to come off as an alarmist, but I think if the LP line is damaged it could be VERY bad. The QC issues really bother me. Our 16CCD is in the shop for a lot of the same kind of issues, some of them cosmetic. I don't want to make a stink about them as I believe they are being properly addressed. - We have faith in this. Will update when we get our little pod back and I'll post pictures of fixes for y'all. Our 16CCD build date is 7-30-2003.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:26 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
First, we LOVE our trailer & I'd recommend it to anyone under 5' 8", 150#. Now... the dirt:

Our 16' CCD rolled off the line 6/30/03.

The exterior of the trailer is tight. Had some issues with the interior. Closest shop is in Eugene, OR. (300 miles away) so I fixed everything myself.

We had the LP line rubbing against the stablizer jack problem. Fixed it with washers as spacers.

I had to add more caulking to the inside of the bathroom. There was one rather sizable hole. The cut of the panel on the bed side of the bathroom was rough so I cleaned it up with caulking.

The panels on the overhead above the dinette were on in the wrong sequence making it so you couldn't get the optimal opening. Took a bit of effort to get it right. (I would have made the dealer do it if they were any closer.)

The hold down snap for the bed shade was missing on the wall. The shade had its part but that was it.

The orange panels on the bed overhead came loose. Hot glue took care of that.

The shower curtain against the window wall was put on backwards so the Velcro didn't match up & the pattern is backwards. Couldn't figure out how to get the curtain off to turn it around so unstitched the velcro & sewed it on the correct way.

The handle on the middle kitchen drawer came unglued.

The safety latch on the dinette was horribly misaligned so it didn't hold. At first I didn't even think there was a catch for the drawer until I was under the table cleaning up from the trip and saw it. I'd drilled a hole in the side of the drawer and the drawer slide to stick a latch pin in. Might just stick with that.

Edge tape around table was sticking up over the table top and was sharp on the arms. Hit with some sandpaper and much more comfortable now.

Grease spots on the dinette cushions, thankfully all spots are hidden.

They laid the floor down over 2 pieces of sm debris & it telescoped through (I feel I'm getting really picky here).

Finally, the manual is completely useless for the CCD 16.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Question Different teams?

I wonder if they have different teams putting different models together.

Ie. Classic/Excella, CCD, Safari

I say this because it seems that the Classic/Excella units have less problems/defects than the other models.

Either way, it's great that you all are voicing these problems and it sounds like Airstream is listening.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:53 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

First, we LOVE our trailer & I'd recommend it to anyone under 5' 8", 150#

Uh oh, I'm 6-4, 290. Will this be a problem??
Old 10-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FC...not at all...a sawzall can fix almost anything....

Eric
Old 10-07-2003, 10:04 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
Frozen, Could be. The water closet is cozy. Bed? Depends on how you sleep. The rest of the space will be just fine for you. We've had people over for lunch and did fine.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Edge tape around table was sticking up over the table top and was sharp on the arms. Hit with some sandpaper and much more comfortable now.
Yep, we had that too, just forgot to include it!
Fixed it ourselves.

No Jamie you're not picky, you're just asking for what you paid for.

The trouble is we all live fairly far from the dealers and tend to solve our problems ourselves, so AS never really gets the brunt of our situations.

The good part is that we know as a fact that the President of AS reads /checks this forum. He might even be a member and participate in our discussions.... Hi Dick! Please take note of all these issues we're all having and make sure your QA improves.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:43 PM   #28
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by KIMILI
and pay the Dealer $495 for dealer's prep, these problems should not exist!!

We're very dissapointed with AS QA.
You had to pay the Dealer $495 to prep your new AS???

Has anyone else paid this?