Old 12-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #253
3 Rivet Member

Christmas Present for our family...

Called Vickie at Jackson Center, and our Safari 28 W is scheduled for production 1/5/2004, with a completion date of appx 1/14.

S/N 516285

Just like Paul Sherry said, in October!

We are going to try to go visit it after it has gone through the leak test and the interior is just getting installed. We will just take the factory tour and ask the guide to keep an eye out for it...

I guess I gotta get busy on getting a brake controller and 'MacGyver' a transmission temperature gauge for the Suburban.

-Rob

Old 12-27-2003, 10:58 PM   #254
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rob,

Not sure what happened, Sherry was dead on when they gave me a date on my unit.

When did you order you unit?

BTW, if you have the VIN they can find it on the line when you are on the tour. I think they also said they could find it by dealer as well if you forget the VIN.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:20 PM   #255
3 Rivet Member

Silvertwinkie,

...do I feel lucky?

8-)

We ordered our Safari 28 W 10/26 -- Paul Sherry told us it would be finished 1/15, and so far, the estimate is dead on...

We told the sales guy we would be interested in visiting the factory while it was in the larvae stage, and he sort of forgot our request.

We called him up last week, and had us call Vickie at JC to see where it is on the production schedule -- she left us a message with the S/N and said it would hit the line 1/5 (she actually said right after the 1st).

(We live about 55 miles from JC)

So, we have a second grader and a four-year-old, and the 2nd grader has had perfect attendance at school since Kindergarden. They are out of school this week, so we are probably going to do the factory tour this week, and then go back without the kids when the top and frame are mated, and it is through the leak test and is just getting the interior installed, but is still mostly incomplete...

We still need to name it. We called out first trailer (1969 globestar, bought 4th hand) 'the trailer' and our 2001 Coleman Bayside 'the Coleman.' Not very creative.

-Rob
Old 12-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #256
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Glad to hear so many of you are having good quality results.

Our refrigerator problem was a bad controller board. The frig froze everything.

How do your floors look? What's the trim like at the door?

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #257
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
bad refrigerator

I'm still waiting for the replacement for my refrigerator. It was expected before Xmas, but didn't make it or perhaps I didn't get a call from the dealer yet because the warrenty person was out for the holidays.

I'm hoping to hear soon since we have a short trip planned starting 1/6 down to Rockport, TX, on the gulf. Rockport is a tourest town with literally thousands of RV sites for winter Texans. Lots of restaurants, offshore and pier fishing, and boat tours to see the Whooping Cranes. There is still some shrimping and commercial fishing, but Rockport exists for tourests, mainly RVers.

We'll probably stay 4 or 5 nights. My rule of thumb is that for each 100 miles round trip, we stay at least one night at the destination.

Some checking tells me that there are plenty of empty RV sites available. My guess is that high gas prices may have kept a few folks north this winter.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 08:01 AM   #258
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rob,

I misunderstood...I thought you meant Sherry told you it would be ready sooner...my bad.... the trip to the factory is really neat and being able to see your coach as it's being built will surely be one to remember. Being only 55 miles from Jackson Center....wow...I that's about 4.75 hours closer than I am.... Lucky!

Gus, the floor on mine was flawless. There was one piece of trim around the front window that came undone, but the dealer fixed it. Other than that, and what looked like the RV tech that left the door open slightly when he washed it (that was also taken care of), the unit appears to be very well constructed. It's had one rain storm on it, snow storm, thaw, 50 degrees and a very good washing and Walbernizing with no sign of leaks so far. It's had about 350 miles placed on it and so far, nothing appears to have been working loose.

As was expected from the dealer's walk through, they told us that the fridge does condensate a bit on the inside. There is to my surprise a condensation switch that helps reduce it. I found with it off, it does condensate when on low, particularly in the freezer compartment. With it on, most of the condensate is frozen while on low (but I think the condensation feature also works off battery power too. I seem to recall the dealer telling us when boondocking to use the condensation button sparingly as it will drain the batteries fairly quickly). All in all, regarding the fridge/freezer combo, it's worked well at the settings I've had it at. I've been using A/C rather than LP. When Sherry towed the coach to me, they must have forgotten to shut down the fridge and it automatically cut over to LP. When it got here, it was on high and both the fridge and the freezer appeared to be very, very cold, but the fridge part did not seem to freeze. Keep in mind the unit has only operated when it's been cold out. There are no fans on the coils like the Bambi had, so as it warms outside, I'll be looking closer at the fridge operation and the 15k BTU A/C unit. Oh yea, I almost forgot, I love the little fridge light...makes it feel like a regular fridge when you open it a light comes on. Might not be new, but all the coaches I've seen didn't have one...I like it.

Yesterday, I went to open the panel to take a look a the stereo wiring to see if there was a way to connect my iPod with an RCA jack or something. There wasn't, but I did see that they don't put the interior sheet metal on over the fiberglass on the front end caps where the roof lockers are mounted. Once I got a flashlight in the box area where the radio was, I saw all the exposed fiberglass. I found that interesting.

Overall I'd have to give my unit so far a 10 out of a possible 10. I'll post more info as she ages a bit to let you all know how it's going.

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-20-2004, 11:34 AM   #259
3 Rivet Member

Personal Factory Tour + visit to our 28W

All,

We did not get to go on the factory tour for various and mundane reasons when we wanted. We called Friday, 1-16, and found out our unit was still on the line and in 'plumbing.' My wife was able to sweet talk them into a Monday tour before the standard 2:00, as we had commitments at 4:00 for our kids. The prod manager we met (my wife has his card) said to come anytime after 9:00.

As it was a holiday, we brought our kids, ages 4 and 7. They were an awe of the place, as our buying process started out by searching for a vintage trailer. They are always looking out for Airstreams, and they compete to find them as we drive.

We followed the path of the scheduled factory tour, only he led us right through the work areas, instead of around them. I think he saw we had good command on control of our kids, so he just walked us through. stepping around the tools, airhoses, and such. We got to watch a leak test (I taped it) and also got to take pictures of other 28 W's in various stages of construction, including where the harnesses are routed.

He bent over backwards to answer our questions, and to show us anything we wanted. I got to crawl around quite a few units taking pictures.

We did the standard factory tour in September, and there where a lot of Bamibi's on the line. This time, there were a lot more Safari's 25 footers and the two models of 28's (mostly the one with the slide).

He said they were bumping production up to 6 units per day. He also said they are only building about 20 classics a month, and the vast majority of their schedule is dominated by Safaris and CCD's.

At the end of the line was our 28W, about 98% complete. The interior was installed, all the plumbing, wiring and LP was alive and well, and it was just starting its final QC. It was missing some trim, not all the wiring was in its home, and the awning was not installed.

At this point, we sort of lost control of the kids, as this was 'their' trailer and they wanted to explore it. Nothing they could really hurt, but they were just very excited. They were all over the place checking it out, and we were distracted.

We were met at our unit by Rob, the man who came from Lockheed-Martin to fix the quality problems at Airstream. He owns a 2001 31' classic. I think his story is covered at other threads here in the forums. He was very forthright, and was very interested in how we felt about what we saw. He spent probably 45 minutes with us -- at this point it is lunch time, and I had the feeling we were cutting into it, but not by anything he did.

They eliminated the wall between the kitchen and the front L-sofa, and it really opened it up quite a lot. I complemented him on the change. I also discussed this thread specifically with him, and they claimed a vague awareness of it, but they did mention Porky Pig and Silver Twinkie by their handles, so I think they read this forum periodically, if not daily. I pulled out a message I got from Porky Pig asking me if I would photograph his unit if it was there...alas, we missed it. It seemed to hold heft with them that I had been in contact with others on this forum.

I am both an engineer, and am a certificated aircraft mechanic. In between trying to calm the girls down and also look at the fit and finish, I was able to see the unit seemed to be in almost perfect condition. I would say perfect, given the fact that they were still working in there, and it was not really that clean, but it is a reality. It looked crisp. The exterior was flawless. They were still working, so I could not ding them on anything that appeared incomplete. The girls turned on the lavoratory and water came out of it. We cycled the AC/heat pump. We turned the radio on, and found where to load the DVD's. The spread was on the bed. They let us do anything we wanted.

Rob told me recent stories about how they are trying to put the customer first. I told him that the trend in the forum was a steadily increasing level of quality coming out of JC. He thanked me for my comments, and arranged a tour of the metal shop accross the street. He told me to contact them for *anything*

The only issue we had was actually between us and the dealer -- there was a disconnect between us and the dealer regarding a second fantastic fan. We are resolving that with them now.

All and all, an extremely postive trip. There attitudes were terrific. We were formally introduced to workers who built our unit. They cared about us, and what we thought, and asked us to give them feedback, both positive and negative.

Got to get back to work -- it was an awesome experience...

Rob
Old 01-22-2004, 01:44 PM   #260

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well, my ordered '04 Classic just got into town. About 3 months from order to delivery. Since I bought its twin sister in November, its now looking for an owner down at Bill Thomas Camper Sales here in St. Louis. Its a 30' Slide out with the 15K BTU air conditioner/heat pump. Sumatra interior. The spare tire and wheel on it goes to me so you will need to order that if you want one.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:11 PM   #261
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
My "baby" (30' Classic) will enter the production line on 1/27/04! Oh, I wish I could visit the factory like those lucky ones above but 2000 miles is a little much.

I heard the factory put in a welcome sign for Porky. He was pleased! I was told he was back at the Toscanos the next day But the only problem was a leaky toilet bowl seal which was fixed. Can't wait to hear from him how his first overnight went and see some pics. He hasn't posted since picking it up.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #262
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
He Big Dee, I was just out in Cupertino and few into San Jose....you have some great weather out there.

Eric
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #263
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Twink,
Since I am born and raised in San Jose, I have never experienced the fabled mid-west winter. Today was cold here maybe...say...a bone chilling 68 degrees.

PS: What is this dewinterizing thing anyway....

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:53 PM   #264
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey the "natives" in Saratoga thought I was crazy wearing my Airstream t-shirt.....seriously!

Had the creek near the Saratoga Inn been deeper...I'd have gone swimming it was so warm. Putting things in perspective...is was about 12 degrees here today...and tonight, it will be near 4 degrees, so I'd take that 60 degree weather all season long and enjoy not having to winterize!

Eric
Old 02-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #265
3 Rivet Member

Safair 28W is home

All,

Picked up our Safari 28W on January 28th at Paul Sherry (windchill about -10F). Exterior is flawless. Interior has minor cosmetic problems.

The interior flaws can be considered between nits and annoyances except for three:

1. The metal wall in the galley has a scratch/gouge about two inches long. Looks like a tool mark of some sort.
2. The Bathroom door cannot swing open without the door latch contacting the mirror on the opposite wall.
3. Gouged the edge of the countertop installing the range/oven.

Some of the nits are like this:

1. Screw nearly all the way through side of cabinet above dinette.
2. Loose veneer in various places throught.
3. A bunch of glue on side of cabinet by the bed. Not just a bit a squeeze out, but a lot of glue.
4. Deadbolt has difficulty engaging its slot.

We will wait until we can camp in it a couple of times before going to the mother ship (Jackson Center) for the issues to be dealt with.

Systems-wise, things seem in perfect condition so far...

We got the optional 15 inch LCD TV, and that system has greatly exceeded my expectations. We cranked up the furnace, brought in some Taco Bell, and our family watched a DVD movie on Saturday Night, in 75 degree comfort. The sound system was great, and the front L-couch was comfortable. The outside temp was 8 degrees F. My two daughters (8 and 4) did not want to go inside the house afterwards...and neither did I.

On the regular tuner, we could bring in Cincinnati and Columbus stations with the antenna boost/filter switched on, along with the Dayton stations. It will make a great clubhouse for MNF...

The CD/DVD/Radio Tuner has a 65 page manual, and about 100 function points -- it is a feature-rich beast.

We are very pleased, so far.

Rob (and Sara)
Old 02-02-2004, 12:05 PM   #266
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Glad to hear the overall process was good. Some of the issues could have been caused by the dealer as I can't fathom how it could get out of the Q/C process after seeing how they Q/C these units as they leave......either way, sound like minor fixes that shouldn't take too much time to correct.

Congrats on the new unit. What were your perceptions about Paul Sherry RV?